On Grandeur now..

When Carnival decided to terminate the Dream's cruise in St. Maarten because the emergency generators were not working properly they put the passengers on an NCL ship who couldn't or didn't want to fly.

I would assume Royal Caribbean would do the same.

That was a scenario I referenced earlier in this thread. There were some Immigrations issues with them doing that.

Fire? There was a fire???

Over on the Carny board, I think seven or eight threads on this subject have been deleted, but I am somewhat surprised to find that this looks like the only one on this board on this subject.

Tick tock.

I read some of those threads before they were deleted. All I could do was shake my head at some of the comments. :rolleyes:

Fire? There was a fire???

Over on the Carny board, I think seven or eight threads on this subject have been deleted, but I am somewhat surprised to find that this looks like the only one on this board on this subject.

Tick tock.

I read a few of those threads in the brief time they were posted before they got deleted. Some of the comments were extremely distasteful, and the threads deserved to be deleted.

So here's how this works.

These are "auto-pinned" but ONLY if the cruise line is included in the title. The feed looks for cruise line names, picks up the article, posts it in the respective forum and "stickies" it for a period of 24 hours.

In this case, the news article was named "Cruise Ship Fire Forces Early A.M. Passenger Muster, Re-Routing", so it was only placed in our Cruise News & Articles forum, as well as our UK Cruising forum (as those forums get all news pieces). Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean wasn't included in the title when it was created.

And before some doubter says it was done on purpose, it wasn't. This news was covered by one of our newest employees (who has done a fantastic job) and it was just an oversight.

What I have done is drag over the article to "post" as a sticky on the RCI forum for you all. I have closed it to discussion, since I think this thread is doing just fine at this point.

Thank you for listening,

Laura

Thank you, Laura. You and your staff do an excellent job!!!

Debbie

I'm supposed to sail on the Grandeur on 6/7, 6/14 and 6/21...a triple B2B dream of a lifetime. Any thoughts as to whether it will be ready by 6/7 or even 6/14?

Keeping my fingers crossed!

So glad all of the passengers are safe and sound.

...or a new thread "Do you bring your passport to the muster drill?".......:D

No way. I leave it in the cabin safe where I know it can't get stolen while the ship is sitting on the bottom of the sea.

I'm supposed to sail on the Grandeur on 6/7, 6/14 and 6/21...a triple B2B dream of a lifetime. Any thoughts as to whether it will be ready by 6/7 or even 6/14?

Keeping my fingers crossed!

So glad all of the passengers are safe and sound.

I'm thinking a good 3-4 weeks to get things in order... but I'm no expert.

Tom

I am impressed with the way the crew and RCL have handled this. Especially notifying the passengers, getting them to their muster stations, and having the lifeboats ready to go. According to the reports, passengers were kept informed and treated well. And it seems that RCL has done a good job of keeping the public informed and making arrangements for the passengers. Kudos.

I just wish the media would point all this out instead of feeling the need to sensationalize.

I am an American and I agree with you but we all know too many people who dont do what is advised and then complain when a situation occurs and the issue becomes a reality. Closed loop travel from and returning to the US does not require a passport, but if for any reason one must break the loop and leave from a foreign port life will become much more complicated. A US passport is good for 10 years which makes its total cost (application, stamps, photo, gas money, etc) less than $20 a year. Pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.

Mike

My passport just cost me about $120 so that makes it about $12 a year. I go right past the post office and I took the photo and printed it myself, so there where not really any extra fees.

I'd considered not getting a passport and saving about $400 (me, the wife and 2 kids) as we were going to be going out on the June 7th Grandeur trip from Baltimore and that doesn't require a passport.

Assuming they'll have everything fixed by the 7th and it isn't cancelled, I now don't regret listening to my wife and going ahead and getting the passports "just in case." This is a good example of why it's not smart to not have a passport even in "closed loop" cruises unless you really don't mind major inconveniences in case of an emergency.

I'm thinking a good 3-4 weeks to get things in order... but I'm no expert.

Tom

They've already notified customers of the cruise on the 31st being cancelled. I'd think that if after inspecting the damage (actual experts) they thought it would take more than the 10 days or so they've got until the 6/7 cruise, that they would have gone ahead and cancelled that one too. I'm guessing they think it's possible that they'll have it fixed in 10 days.

Since it doesn't APPEAR to have done much structural damage (probably not extreme high heat due to no accelerants or fuel other than rope) and probably a lot of water/smoke damage, I wouldn't think it would take that long to sandblast the exterior and put on a coat of paint, and get the areas that require passenger/crew access available for use. It might take a little longer. There may be some areas like that lounge which wouldn't be open, but I'd guess that wouldn't be enough to cancel a cruise which likely rakes in several million dollars

I am impressed with the way the crew and RCL have handled this. Especially notifying the passengers, getting them to their muster stations, and having the lifeboats ready to go. According to the reports, passengers were kept informed and treated well. And it seems that RCL has done a good job of keeping the public informed and making arrangements for the passengers. Kudos.

I just wish the media would point all this out instead of feeling the need to sensationalize.

I agree. The press uses words like panic, nightmare to make it seem horrendous. I am sure it was scarey but all reports here on CC indicate things were handled well.

They've already notified customers of the cruise on the 31st being cancelled. I'd think that if after inspecting the damage (actual experts) they thought it would take more than the 10 days or so they've got until the 6/7 cruise, that they would have gone ahead and cancelled that one too. I'm guessing they think it's possible that they'll have it fixed in 10 days.

Since it doesn't APPEAR to have done much structural damage (probably not extreme high heat due to no accelerants or fuel other than rope) and probably a lot of water/smoke damage, I wouldn't think it would take that long to sandblast the exterior and put on a coat of paint, and get the areas that require passenger/crew access available for use. It might take a little longer. There may be some areas like that lounge which wouldn't be open, but I'd guess that wouldn't be enough to cancel a cruise which likely rakes in several million dollars

I think you're forgetting all the machinery in that space, isn't that where all the winches used for docking are?

Archived