On Grandeur now..

Wow! That was not a minor fire and judging by that smoke damage, I would be interested in hearing RCI's definition of "quickly" when saying "quickly extinguished." That looks like it burned hot for a little while. :eek:

I read that it took 2 hours to extinguish the fire - not sure how "quickly" that is. I'm just so thankful no one was injured - that must have been quite a fire. Kudos to the Captain for keeping safety priority one.

So sorry for those on Grandeur that they have had this happen on their cruise. Sounds like a scary few hours, but it also sounds like RC handled it the best they could..

Thankful no injuries.. things can be replaced, people can't!

Thanks Dharma for keeping us posted - hope you're able to have a relaxing day.

Below is the latest from Royal Caribbean PR's Twitter:

#GrandeuroftheSeas will dock overnight in Freeport. Some guests are staying onboard, while others have chosen to spend the day on shore

that photo makes me think this was not a minor fire ...had to have lasted awhile to do that much damage. thankfully, it was contained, but always smoke damage from most fires.

I am proud of the Grandeur's Captain and Crew and I'm proud of Adam Goldstein and others who are flying to Freeport to do whatever they can. (Mr. Goldstein also answers all of his e-mail - Impressive!)

wouldn't be surprised for the next couple of cruises to be canceled whilst the ship gets repaired.

we were on the Grandeur a couple of wks ago and it had wide-spread toilet malfunctions ..... nothing to do with this fire, I doubt ....

VeryGlad everyone is safe, back on land.

Unlike another cruise line..where a principal never showed his face and left it go others to represent his company.

I'm guessing you mean Mickey Arison who is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC. He received critical press for attending Miami Heat basketball games while Carnival Triumph was adrift after their fire.

Jerry Cahill who is President and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was on point and attended news briefings. He is the equivalent of Adam Goldstein. I believe that Richard D Fain, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean LTD. is the equivalent of Arison and will most likely also delegate news briefings to the specific cruise line CEO who is Goldstein.

Why were the passengers ill (passing out and vomiting)? Was it from excessive amounts of smoke, or from claustrophobia, or something else?

Below is some info from another post by the OP regarding the same concern.

M

“…The illness I an sure was due to standing in muster position tight like sardines with life jackets on for a good 2 hours no water and nerves. After 2 hours when the fire was finally out (we were being constantly updated by captain Espen) we began to relax a bit and stayed in muster but some people were able to find a tiny spot to sit. I just made it to ghe windjammer for a bite and guests and crew from officers to midnight deck scrubbers are eating side by side. Quite an unusual sight. …”

When I saw the news this morning, it sounded like it was no big deal. They seemed to gloss over the fact that it took a few hours to put out. After seeing the picutre, OMG! I am so thankful that everyone is okay and that RCI took extra care to put the safety of all passengers first. I know that those of you on the cruise will have a few days of frustration in front of you. You're in my prayers.

Take Care!

I'm guessing you mean Mickey Arison who is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC. He received critical press for attending Miami Heat basketball games while Carnival Triumph was adrift after their fire.

Jerry Cahill who is President and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was on point and attended news briefings. He is the equivalent of Adam Goldstein. I believe that Richard D Fain, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean LTD. is the equivalent of Arison and will most likely also delegate news briefings to the specific cruise line CEO who is Goldstein.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes Jerry Cahill was front and center for the various mishaps on Carnival . I thought he did a tremendous job.

Unlike another cruise line..where a principal never showed his face and left it go others to represent his company.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Adam Goldstein is the CEO of RCCL and holds the same position as Gerry Cahill at Carnival Cruises Lines. Gerry went to Mobile.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/travel/cruise-ship-fire

If you're referring to Mickey Arisin, CCL Chairman, he did not. But then it has yet to be seen that Richard Fain, RCCL Chairman is e route to Freeport.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Adam Goldstein is the CEO of RCCL and holds the same position as Gerry Cahill at Carnival Cruises Lines. Gerry went to Mobile.

If you're referring to Mickey Arisin, CCL Chairman, he did not. But then it has yet to be seen that Richard Fain, RCCL Chairman is e route to Freeport.

I stand corrected.

Wow! I anticipated that it was pretty bad if it took a couple of hours to put out, but I wasn't prepared for that picture. I guess I might as well got unpack those suitcase. I'm not going anywhere on Friday.

So sorry! Perhaps you can sail on another ship?

Come on, people. Stop bickering like 5 year olds! Focus on the fact that no body was injured and that passengers and crew are safe.

Wow! I anticipated that it was pretty bad if it took a couple of hours to put out, but I wasn't prepared for that picture. I guess I might as well got unpack those suitcase. I'm not going anywhere on Friday.

Looks like Explorer does a 5-nt from Cape Liberty on 6/8. Sorry you won't be going, disappointing.

my thoughts are for the crew, stuck on board, for the clean up and to sleep with whatever fallout there could be from the smoke.

Maybe those with trip insurance can fly home? or maybe Freeport can put folks up for overnight?

Freeport is not a bad place to hang out whilst the inspectors and officials do what they need to do -- best for passengers to try and enjoy staying out of the way. Sounds as if those who needed to, could get back to their staterooms.

waiting for Dharma's next update.

Archived