OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

What is Tapatalk HD?

I just love "our" tour! Your pixs are great, the food looks delicious and you both are darling in your rafting gear.

We are so ready for August 9th to arrive! 66 days and counting!

Tapatalk is an App that you can download to use on your smart phone or ipad (maybe others, I have apple products) that makes reading, following and responding to various boards and forums.

Here is the link to the basic version:

http:// https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-forum-app/id307880732?mt=8

Just search for the app tapatalk or tapatalk hd to download it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First of all...I gotta to say....what you are doing here is so very helpful...I almost feel like I am part of your tour.. :) . Lucky me,I get to do this all over again..

Now for my question : )....

We are doing the motor coach from Denali to Anchorage...and the coach reaches Anchorage by 3:00 with an optional excursion we can do. I am wondering whether I should upgrade to the train from Denali. The downside is of course we reach later at around 8:00 pm which means no sightseeing in Anchorage would you know whether they allow this ? What do you suggest ?

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question as our our tour includes the train from Talkeetna to Anchorage. We leave today at 4:30 and arrive at 8pm. We have booked a tour on our own for in the morning doing a Segway Tour in Anchorage. I've my memory serves, we have until about noon before our coach leaves headed to Alyeska.

We will be staying in the downtown Marriott so some things will be within walking distance or you could take a cab. Also the person we meet here at dinner last night had just come from Anchorage and they had done the HOHO (hop on hop off) bus tour and had enjoyed it very much.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Thanks Cindy for all the info. We are taking Cruisetour #13 also in August. We are staying in Pikes August 9th with the tour starting on the 10th. Looking forward to all your info, it has helped us tremendously. Thanks

Phyllis, you are going to have such a great time on your tour! Thanks for following along :)

Looking forward to the review. We are sailing on June 6, 2014. Doing a DIY land portion and 7 night southbound on Radiance. Currently have 9260 booked but are waitlisted for 9256.

Looking forward to the review. We are sailing on June 6, 2014. Doing a DIY land portion and 7 night southbound on Radiance. Currently have 9260 booked but are waitlisted for 9256.

Cat,

Hopefully your will find some of my information helpful on your DIY land portion. Planning an Alaska cruise is so much different that doing the Caribbean :)

This will be our first time on Radiance and we are looking forward to it very much!

This review is fantastic! We are going in July 2014 and it is great to see your photos and hear how your trip is going! Looking forward to more! Thanks so much for doing this.

Thanks for taking time to read my LONG, LONG report. Hope you find some of the information helpful.

Can't wait for you to get onboard Radiance.....:D

I'm excited to get on the ship, however I don't want our time on land to fly by either. I'm hoping to post lots of pics of the ship.

Hi,

Two questions for you if you have time.

1. Interesting about the excursions, we wanted to the do the glacier hike out of Aleyska offered by the group called Ascending Path, but can't see it offered on your list.

I'm happy to book directly with the tour operators but not sure if we have time in the afternoon or morning in Aleyska, if you have any info that would help it would be much appreciated. :)

2. When you get on board Radiance I will be interested to hear about the internet speed using your lap top.

We used the ships computer last year & it was painfully slow.

I read though that since then Radiance has had a wifi upgrade & that internet speeds are now 10 times quicker?

I need to work whilst away, so internet speeds for me will be important as I have to send images to clients (graphic & web designer) so it's not just about reading emails for me.

Your blogging with pics will probably be similar so whatever speed you experience will most likely be the same for me.

Thanks - loving your blog!

I forgot to post the pictures of the food pricing at Denali because I took those pictures on my iphone & I just found them today. This is the Denali Depot at the park:

image_zps99ddf5fc.jpg

And here are the menus from inside of the Merino Grill:

image_zps34cefd37.jpg

image_zps5287366c.jpg

image_zpscbb53990.jpg

image_zps03352676.jpg

This is the grab & go selection:

image_zps5d748ffb.jpg

Once you get off the train at Denali this is the only food available for purchase. If you plan to take a tour they are from 5-8 hour tours so be prepared!

Also here is the menu to the Base Camp Bistro at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and a picture of the food/portions we had last night for dinner:

image_zpscaef9a6d.jpg

image_zps12bb8144.jpg

image_zps8d3162d3.jpg

image_zps0c8ad440.jpg

We had pretty much the entire day free in Talkeetna. The Wilderness Express domed train leaves at 4:40pm today headed to Anchorage where we will arrive at 8pm. We are on day 5 of our 16 day trip so it has been good to have a little down time... Hubby & l both appreciated sleeping in this morning... I think we finally woke up at 8:30. Today our luggage had to be out by 11am (which is check out time for the hotel).

We took the free hotel shuttle in to town were we had lunch at the West Rib Pub & Cafe which as been features on the Food Network for their 5 pound hamburger. The place is pretty small (as is the whole town) and they have bar, indoor & outside seating. The menu is pretty varied from soup, salad, sandwiches, burgers, fish tacos, grilled & fried fish plates, etc. Prices seemed comparable to what we'd pay back home for like items, maybe a dollar or two more.

Hubby loves Copper River Salmon which only runs 2 weeks a year. They had it fresh so he had the Homer Split plate which came with salmon & halibut filets, fries & slaw. I went out on a very long limb & out of my comfort zone to try Caribou tacos on flour tortillas. The portions were huge and of course I couldn't finish my meal but it was very good. The atmosphere and the employees were both very nice.

image_zpsfe2818fe.jpg

image_zpsd157d64b.jpg

image_zpsaf08c372.jpg

image_zps7ad47e77.jpg

image_zpsd9eb2609.jpg

image_zpsb96e7934.jpg

image_zpsdc885ed2.jpg

image_zps650f70a3.jpg

image_zps94674821.jpg

This is what the all the walls in the place look like:

image_zpsbf94517f.jpg

After lunch we stopped by a home-made ice cream shop and shared a dip of banana pudding ice cream.

<a href=http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o693/Ace1Zoe/2013%20Alaska%20Cruise%20Tour/Day%2005%20-%20Talkeetna%20to%20Anchorage/image_zps064f9677.jpg' alt='image_zps064f9677.jpg'>

We spent about an hour looking through the gift shops but didn't find anything we couldn't live without. I wasn't able to find an ornament with "Talkeetna" on it so I left empty handed.

Edited by ace1zoe2

The town area was very quaint and the stores were still gearing up for tourist season. There were moose (wooden painted ones, not real ones) all around town that made me smile.

image_zps59471151.jpg

image_zps2a4d4edb.jpg

This is the Hurricane Train. It is one of the last flag trains in America. It runs 2 per week in the summer and once per week in the winter between Talkeetna and Hurricane. Anyone can "flag" the train at any point between the two destinations and it will stop and pick you up and take you to the final other stop. It has an engine at each end and 3 cars.

image_zps5b3dce79.jpg

This is the one aisle of groceries in town:

image_zps8c1adcc9.jpg

And this is an idea of the prices:

image_zpsa2d02d93.jpg

image_zpsb6821b97.jpg

That is the regular size box of graham crackers and the smallest box of Cheerios that they make. A jar of peanut butter was $6 for the small one!

Edited by ace1zoe2

Really enjoying this review. Thank you for sharing. :)

We've cruised Alaska three times but haven't done a cruise tour yet. I learned so much about yours.

Nancy,

Thanks for following along. We've done Alaska once previously but this is our first cruise tour. It has been a great time so far!

Well it's time for me to pack up my technology stuff that has allowed you to follow along. We will be boarded a coach for transfer to the train station in about 30 minutes. Our train to Anchorage leaves Talkeetna at 4:40 and we are due to arrive in Anchorage at 8pm. Hope to share more with you tomorrow.

Well it's time for me to pack up my technology stuff that has allowed you to follow along. We will be boarded a coach for transfer to the train station in about 30 minutes. Our train to Anchorage leaves Talkeetna at 4:40 and we are due to arrive in Anchorage at 8pm. Hope to share more with you tomorrow.

Can't wait. :)

Cindy, I have another question. You have been so helpful answering all my previous questions. My family will be on cruisetour 13 starting June 29. My 11 year old niece and nephew are going.

#1. Does the train restaurant have kids menus?

#2. Did the whitewater rafting excursion meet your expectations?

Thanks

I'm finally caught up! I'm so enjoying this trip and looking forward to following along. Cindy you are a wealth of information! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you are putting into this!

Cindy, I have another question. You have been so helpful answering all my previous questions. My family will be on cruisetour 13 starting June 29. My 11 year old niece and nephew are going.

#1. Does the train restaurant have kids menus?

#2. Did the whitewater rafting excursion meet your expectations?

Thanks

1. We are on the train now & I just asked about kids menus. I was assured that they have kids menus as well as vegetarian & gluten free options. She said the have Mac & Cheese, chicken nuggets Eric.

2. We had a great time on our whitewater rafting tour.

If you have other questions ill be happy to try to find the answers. Today I'd our last day on the train. Our next few days are on the coach.

Cindy ~ I'm really loving your review so far. I am cutting and pasting it so my husband can read along later. I'm also hoping so save it to review later so when we plan our own trip in 2015, I can have something to rely on! :) Thank you!

Thanks so much for reading & taking time to comment. Hopefully you can find some information that will help with your planning.

I'm finally caught up! I'm so enjoying this trip and looking forward to following along. Cindy you are a wealth of information! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you are putting into this!

Thank you so much for the comments. It lets me know that all the time & effort that I'm putting in to this is helping someone.