TOPSY147

Gastro enteritis on Adventure of the Seas

I have just got back from Med cruise 9th-24th May 2013 on Adventure of the Seas. Both my husband and I had the misfortune to get Gastro enteritis half way through cruise which ruined our holiday. We believe it was due to something eaten in Windjammer and were advised to eat in restaurant which was much better. I have never had a problem before on cruises and was fastidious with hand washing. I would be interested to hear from others on that cruise that had the same misfortune as I would like to know if it was just an isolated case or more widespread.

I have just got back from Med cruise 9th-24th May 2013 on Adventure of the Seas. Both my husband and I had the misfortune to get Gastro enteritis half way through cruise which ruined our holiday. We believe it was due to something eaten in Windjammer and were advised to eat in restaurant which was much better. I have never had a problem before on cruises and was fastidious with hand washing. I would be interested to hear from others on that cruise that had the same misfortune as I would like to know if it was just an isolated case or more widespread.

I'm sorry you both got sick. My daughter was sick 1/2 thru our cruise last summer and it was rough for her. We had 11 people in our group and no one else got sick so I don't know what she had or where she got it.

I would imagine if your illness was wide spread you would have known about it. The ship would have instituted hardcore sanitary procedures like no self service in Windjammers etc.

I'm sorry you both got sick. My daughter was sick 1/2 thru our cruise last summer and it was rough for her. We had 11 people in our group and no one else got sick so I don't know what she had or where she got it.

I would imagine if your illness was wide spread you would have known about it. The ship would have instituted hardcore sanitary procedures like no self service in Windjammers etc.

We were on a cruise in 2012 that had an outbreak. We were never notified but did notice an increase in sanitary procedures.

It wasn't necessarily the food. You could have contracted it in a bar or from touching any object that was contaminated if it made its way to your hands and thereby to your mouth. We unconsciously touch our face many times, so who knows where it came from. Sorry you were ill. It can really ruin a vacation for sure as it takes awhile to feel better even when the other symptoms subside.

When DH and I fell ill before a trip we both felt so weak afterward and I felt like we needed a "do over" vacation:D. Who could argue with that?

Like my GP said the other day in regards to Bird Flu / Gastro etc

Never stick you fingers into any orifices above your shoulders unless you

are 120% sure of your hands cleanliness :o

Even if you wash your hands and sanitize your hands before entering the restaurant, simply pulling your chair out from the table can transfer germs onto your previously-washed hands.

If your illness were related to something you ate in the buffet, then hundreds of other people would have eaten the same thing and come down with the same illness. If hundreds of others were similarly affected, there would have been announcements and notices about it -- you wouldn't need to come on Cruise Critic afterward to ask if the illess was widespread.

(You could also check with your Roll Call Thread and ask the people who were actually on the ship with you.)

Gosh I hope there is not Noro on the Adventure. We are embarking on her in around 63 hours!

Both my husband & I came down with tummy upsets during a cruise and thought it was something we ate, but now that I think of it, we could have picked up something in the pool at the Dolphin Enounter. We get back ate a big lunch plus the excitement of the tour. It hit DH earlier then myself, but by 3 AM it found me. I slept the intire day and by next AM was up and running.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Here is a good rule for where you picked up a stomach bug...

Decide where you think you got it. Odds are it wasn't that place. The thing about stomach problems is that they aren't caused by food nearly as often as they are caused by something completely random that you did.

A previous poster commented on pulling out a chair. There is touching a countertop, the tongs you used for your food, the handrail, wherever.

You catch a bug that your body can't control... you get sick. The other weird thing is that if you DID get it from the food... it may not have even been the food you thought it was! It is a little insane trying to track down unless a bunch of people got it at the same time.

So sorry you got sick and I hope you feel better very soon.

As well, I would state that it is probably not the place you are thinking of that made you ill - if this were true, more stringent procedures would have been put in place and you would have noticed changes, for sure. I see that in another thread, you recommended people avoid the Windjammer buffet...*shrug* ... I'm baffled as to why you would say this when, in effect, you do not know the exact cause and place of the contraction of your illness. You can be fastidious about eating in restaurants other than the buffet, but what about the menu, the chairs, the cutlery, etc. etc. You very well could have been infected on the airplane and brought it to the ship with you.

See what I am saying? :)

Gosh I hope there is not Noro on the Adventure. We are embarking on her in around 63 hours!

Even if you wash your hands and sanitize your hands before entering the restaurant, simply pulling your chair out from the table can transfer germs onto your previously-washed hands.

If your illness were related to something you ate in the buffet, then hundreds of other people would have eaten the same thing and come down with the same illness. If hundreds of others were similarly affected, there would have been announcements and notices about it -- you wouldn't need to come on Cruise Critic afterward to ask if the illess was widespread.

Yes, if it were due to Norovirus, you definitely would have known if this were the case. Norovirus is highly contagious and spread person to person and through contaminated food and water. The ship's medical staff would have isolated that virus and confirmed the diagnosis from a sick passenger.

Gastroenteritis? How most of us think of it? It basically means you had some diarrhea. Usually caused by a virus or bacteria such as E Coli and unfortunately can sometimes take up to 7 days to resolve on its own. Sorry to the OP that it ruined your vacation. How many days did it lay you up? We always cruise with Imodium for this very reason just in case.

I appreciate everything everyone has said in reply to my post. I had vomiting and had to have a saline drip and an injection and was confined to cabin for 24 hrs. The only reason we suspect The Windjammer was because the Medical staff advised us not to eat in there any more. We did think the hygiene in the restaurants was noticeably better. We have been on other RC ships so could make a comparison with previous trips when we did not have any problem. Certainly don't want to alarm anyone. Just be aware and extra vigilant with hygiene.

The incubation period for noro is 12-48 hours so you probably caught it the day before. That might help pin down where it came from.

perhaps they said do not eat in the Windjammer as if you still had the problem in your system you could have passed it on to other people, which is more likely in a buffet situation.

perhaps they said do not eat in the Windjammer as if you still had the problem in your system you could have passed it on to other people, which is more likely in a buffet situation.

This!

We did think the hygiene in the restaurants was noticeably better...

Sorry... what do you mean by this? The "hygiene in the restaurants"? Compared to the Windjammer - what does this mean?

Sorry... what do you mean by this? The "hygiene in the restaurants"? Compared to the Windjammer - what does this mean?

What you can't see, won't hurt you????

That's about the only thing I can think of.

What you can't see, won't hurt you???? ...That's about the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, I'm just baffled at the enormity of that statement. :confused:

we were on the same cruise and I had not heard of any others suffering. I think you were just unlucky TOPSY.