Curves - Weight Loss

BUDDY7

I've been going to Curves for about six months now, and although I really like it, I haven't seen any weight loss, that I thought I would see by now. I drink a lot of water and I'm watching what I eat. When I don't go Curves, I walk at least half an hour. Any suggestions?

I'm getting discouraged.

Happy Cruising.....Anita

BUDDY

I to have been going for a few months to out local curves and I have seen nothing! I feel like i have more energy but as far as weight loss.....NONE!

I understand how you feel icon_confused.gif

They told me at my Curves not to expect to lose any weight for the first 4 months. You are converting fat to muscle and muscle weighs more. I have lost 4 pounds in 5 months and 14 inches (And I continue to eat EL Fudges every week). My clothes are getting loose on me even though I have only lost 4 pounds.

To max the workout, you need to get as many reps as possible in that 30 second time frame. I see some ladies doing 10 reps when I am doing 24. I start out fast and slow down some as I start to get tired towards the end.

I plan to hang in there and try to walk some too, since the weather is getting nicer.

We have had a lot of success stories at my Curves, if you are not getting the result you want, ask the staff to offer suggestions. The "thinner" girls are obviously not losing as quickly as the girls with more to lose. We can't all expect to lose at the same rate, which is what seems to frustrate some of our members.

dolphin.gif

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=2>

<param name="day" value=7>

<param name="hour" value=22>

</applet>

Ecstasy 1996, Fantasy 1997,1998,1999, Imagination 2000, Sovereign 2001, Fantasy 2002, Monarch 2003, Serenade 2004

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They told me at my Curves not to expect to lose any weight for the first 4 months. You are converting fat to muscle and muscle weighs more. I have lost 4 pounds in 5 months and 14 inches (And I continue to eat EL Fudges every week). My clothes are getting loose on me even though I have only lost 4 pounds.

To max the workout, you need to get as many reps as possible in that 30 second time frame. I see some ladies doing 10 reps when I am doing 24. I start out fast and slow down some as I start to get tired towards the end.

I plan to hang in there and try to walk some too, since the weather is getting nicer.

We have had a lot of success stories at my Curves, if you are not getting the result you want, ask the staff to offer suggestions. The "thinner" girls are obviously not losing as quickly as the girls with more to lose. We can't all expect to lose at the same rate, which is what seems to frustrate some of our members.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with Staylor,

I've been going since last July, I did stop for a couple of months. Started back in Jan. The first 2 months not much loss in pounds but I was losing inches, around 13 inches total per month. I'm not starting to loose pounds. I agree talk to the staff. I've added weights to my workout. They can also give you specific exercises to do while on the rest board this has really helped me with my arms. Also, if you read the curves book, your suppossed to get close to 30 reps in 30 secs. I see the same she does some people get 10 reps to my 22 - 24. Stick with it for a few more months and see how it works out. Some people here will try to convince you to give up Curves because they've have a negative experience, but it really does work. Your clothes should be fitting looser. I'm down 2 dress sizes since Jan. I've been trying to add walking in the evening but haven't gotten up to it yet. One of our Curves trainers was 280 lbs. and now she is at 245 all from Curves and proper eating.

<marquee>Joycelyn</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until we try The Monarch of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Mariner of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas - January 23, 2005 Roll Call...Please Join Us

Tss Festivale 1984

Carnival Tropical 1993

Voyager of the Seas 2001

Carnival Ecstasy 2002

Vision of the Seas 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2004

poster13.jpg

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Staylor,

Do you work for Curves? My Curves tried to get me to apply about 2 months ago. I couldn't work out the hours with my "real" job. There were even going to send me to Waco for a week.

<marquee>Joycelyn</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until we try The Monarch of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Mariner of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas - January 23, 2005 Roll Call...Please Join Us

Tss Festivale 1984

Carnival Tropical 1993

Voyager of the Seas 2001

Carnival Ecstasy 2002

Vision of the Seas 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2004

poster13.jpg

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Curves member since July of 2003. The first few months I lost about 20 pounds, 13 inches and my BMI dropped considerably. Then the holidays came around and I regained 10-15 pound and haven't been able to get back on track. After almost a year I find that the Curves circuit is not challenging anymore. Perhaps my body has become used to it. I have incorporated walking and weekend hiking to my exercise plan. Hopefully this will bring some good results.

Mireya

I worry about some of the misinformation that floats around, not specifically with respect to Curves, but just in general. The object, of course, is to improve body composition, which means reducing body fat and increasing muscle-mass. Having said that, a body builder is happy to add a pound or two of muscle per month. While a beginner has a bit of advantage for the first six months they consistently do significant strength training, expecting more than a couple of pounds of increase in muscle-mass in a month is probably not well-advised.

countdown.cgi?srgb=00ff00&dd=cd&trgb=ffffff&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2005;1;29;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500&ft=5&frgb=ffd700

RCI - Serendade of the Seas (S. Carib.)

I am also a Curves member and I agree that most people don't work as hard at the machines as they ought to. I watch them and can see them going much slower than I am. If that is how a person is working out, then Curves will not help them much. I also think that if someone says Curves doesn't challenge them enough physically then there is one of two problems here. You are either; A) so physically fit, thin, and toned that you are in excellent shape and do not need to work out. Or; B) You aren't really pushing yourself on the machines and getting a real good work out. Remember, they tell you to push yourself to the limit and do as many reps as possible in that 30 seconds. Those machines are not a piece of cake. I remember how sore I was when I first went. If you aren't feeling anything when you finish your workout then something's wrong. This is a workout! You should be tired and a little out of breath. If you're not, then you aren't pushing yourself enough on the machines. As we keep working out, we keep getting more and more fit. A more fit person will have to work much harder than someone who is out of shape. And no, I do not work for Curves. I just think it is a great place to work out, keep in shape, and make new friends.

I am also a Curves member and I agree that most people don't work as hard at the machines as they ought to. I watch them and can see them going much slower than I am. If that is how a person is working out, then Curves will not help them much. I also think that if someone says Curves doesn't challenge them enough physically then there is one of two problems here. You are either; A) so physically fit, thin, and toned that you are in excellent shape and do not need to work out. Or; B) You aren't really pushing yourself on the machines and getting a real good work out. Remember, they tell you to push yourself to the limit and do as many reps as possible in that 30 seconds. Those machines are not a piece of cake. I remember how sore I was when I first went. If you aren't feeling anything when you finish your workout then something's wrong. This is a workout! You should be tired and a little out of breath. If you're not, then you aren't pushing yourself enough on the machines. As we keep working out, we keep getting more and more fit. A more fit person will have to work much harder than someone who is out of shape. And no, I do not work for Curves. I just think it is a great place to work out, keep in shape, and make new friends.

Well said cruisinqt, I've really met some good friends at Curves, we go out sometimes now.

I have a question for you Curves members out there. Have you tried the Curves diet? I am losing weght, but it's a little slow. I read in the Curves members guide book that they have two diets that they recommend. One is a calorie restricted diet and the other is a low carb diet. All of the details are found in their book called Curves To go. I just bought it and am thinking about going on one of the diets. They also have a chapter in the book about boosting a metabolism that is slow due to lots of dieting. Some of you that are having problems dropping the weight may benefit from reading that chapter. It makes a lot of sense. But what I really wanted to know was had anyone tried either of these diets. The book does have you answer a few questions to determine which diet is best for you. But my answers are almost equal for both diets. Has anyone tried these diets? Any recommendations?

I have never posted on these boards before but, I used to go to Curves and I would push my self hard and still was not happy with the results, I think after awhile it got boring too, I started Jazzercise and really like it, it's fun you dance and it's different everytime because you can do strenth and tone too to music. If your board with Curves, Jazzercise might be an option for you.

Hello everyone. I joined Curves in October 2002....went faithfully for 4 months with very little success....dropped out, gained 8 pounds. I rejoined Curves January 1, 2004 with a co-worker who asked that I join with her to set up a buddy system. I agreed to join because I had a cruise coming up on March 7, 2004.

Beginning in January, I went faithfully 3 x per week. I also faithfully walked on my treadmill at home at least 2 x per week. I also reduced the amount of carbohydrates I ate each day. I DID NOT follow the Atkins or South Beach diets, I DID NOT do any kind of "induction" phase. I will admit to skipping breakfast most days and only having coffee. If I was hungry in the morning I would make one fried egg and ham or canadian bacon. For lunch I would eat a home-made tossed salad with grilled chicken or steak...or tunafish, etc. I subsituted honey roasted cashews for potato chips,etc. For dinner, I would eat whatever I wanted....including pasta, pancakes, mexican, etc. I just made sure my portion sizes were smaller than my normal. And, I never ate after 7 pm. (Other than having a cocktail) I did have a rum and diet coke or two at least 5 nights per week. That is my late night relaxation before bed.

When it was time for my March 7th cruise, I was completely shocked. I had lost total of 17 inches and 18 pounds. I was shocked! The staff at my Curves were shocked when they measured my waist. I lost the most inches on my waist...5 total inches. I couldn't believe it. Two days before my cruise I had to go out and purchase a new dress and two pairs of pants. I had dropped a whole dress size and the clothes in my "cruise wardrobe" did not fit well any longer. While I was on my cruise, I took a 1 mile walk everyday on the walking track on deck 12 and I always took the stairs. I ate whatever I wanted, but I did not "load up" my plate at the buffet just because I could....do you know what I mean? I had a full dinner every night, soup, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert. I even went to Johnny Rockets 3 times. At the end of the cruise, I had lost another 3 pounds.

As of today, I have lost a total of 26 pounds. (I have not measured inches since March). I have gone from wearing a size 16 or sometimes 18 pant to a size 12. I have not worn a size 12 in over 7 years. I am 38 years old, with two children ages 7 & 8. I am 6 ft. 2 in tall. At my highest weight I was 218 pounds. I now weigh 192. (somedays 194). Due to my work schedule during the last 3 weeks, I have not had a chance to get to Curves. I have not gained any weight, but I have not lost either. I am in a holding pattern at 192-194. Still purchasing clothing in size 12, so that is all that I care about at this point.

I have two cruises coming up...one in September and one in November. So, hopefully, beginning next week I will be able to get back on track with Curves and faithfully go 3 x week.

My suggestion to everyone who is kind of stuck with Curves and not seeing any success is to read the Curves book. The Curves plan promote higher protein meals and fewer carb meals. Also, once you begin losing weight, make a list of the foods that you have been eating at each meal and stick with only them for awhile. That is what I did. Find what you can eat and begin to lose weight, and then stick with only those items for awhile.

Also, keep in mind that you get the most out of the Curves workout on the machines....not the platforms. Don't overdue it on the platforms. Use all of your energy and strength while on the machines. Simply walk while on the platforms to maintain your heart rate. I didn't do that the first time I joined Curves. I used to do an aerobic workout while on the platforms and not have any strength for the machines. The more repetitions you can do on the machines, the better your Curves workout will be.

Don't give up.....it does work. Just keep at it. Remember to push your hardest while on the machines....just walk or march in place while on the platforms. Good Luck! Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. I never in a million years would have thought that I would lose weight again. I had tried weight watchers, atkins, etc. and nothing worked. Eating in moderation combined with exercise is what worked for me.

Kimberly

What an encouraging story Kimberly. I needed that. I've been doing so well until just a few moments ago. I just had a very delicious piece of cherry pie. Now I am feeling very guilty. Your story has got me back on track though. I don't want to start gaining back the weight I've been losing.

You've also touched on a very good point. You kept mentioning that you worked very hard on the machines. I think that is one of the keys. Working out very hard and pushing ourselves on the machines is the key to losing the weight. That and keeping a record of what we eat. When I first started doing that machine where you lean forward onto the padded bar and push your legs back, it was pretty hard for me. I could only do 6 or 7 reps for each leg. Then I got up to 8 reps per leg. Then I got up to 10, then 12, and now I do 15 reps per leg. I think that is why I am still losing weight. I keep count of how many reps I am doing and challenge myself to do even more as I get more fit.

Keep up the good work. And let us know how you're doing as you lose the weight. The success stories are what keep us on track and motivated.

I have been a Curves member for only 3 months now. Lost about 6-7 inches..not as much weight (maybe 6 lbs) as I would have liked but I'm trying to be optimistic. I was too nervous to weigh/measure in this month but have continued to work at it and hopefully next month will show some positive changes. I have to say that I have enjoyed other benefits of working out. I am down one size in some, but not all my clothing and I generally feel alot better. I seem to have less aches and pains (back and shoulders) and my DH says I snore less! (I'm not sure what the snoring connection is but hey! whatever works!)

Hearing from others helps.. so thanks to all.

Hi Kimberly,

I enjoyed your story. I agree that when people say they don't get anything out of Curves its because they don't work the machines hard enough. We have a running joke at mines that we swear that they tighten the machines up over the weekend. They say they don't, that if the machines are feeling tighter its because we're working them right. My supervisor said she didn't get Curves that she couldn't feel it. I invited her to go with me to my Curves she got a great workout because the personal trainer showed her how to use the machines the right way and how to do the reps she said she felt it at the end, and now she's joined the Curves closer to her house.

I like the Curves book, I haven't really applied any one diet. I eat a bowl of oatmeal before going to Curves (gives me energy), a salad or an Atkins shake for lunch, and anything for dinner in moderation. I'm averaging about 8 - 10 pounds a month, and 10 inches total a month. I just started on the treadmill last week, so I can't wait to see the diffence at my next weigh in.

Crusinqt: The machine that you mentioned....where you lean forward into the pads and then kick back with each foot...I think it was that machine alone that helped me lose the weight. That machine was new from the first time that I joined. I made sure each time that I did 20 reps with each foot....and I swear that is the machine that made my butt smaller. That to me was the most amazing thing....my butt toned up and became smaller. (I have always had a large rear). My DH was amazed that my butt changed.

Everyone keep up the good work. Work on those machines harder. The more repetitions the better. My Curves actually has a chart at each machine listing the number of reps for beginner, intermediate, advanced. For example, the machine where you sit and push out with your feet....intermediate is 30 reps in the time allowed. The machine where you have the pads on your shoulders and you squat, (the machine I hate the most), beginner reps are 10. If your Curves doesn't have the recommended repetitions chart, let me know and I'll copy the one at my Curves and post it for you.

My work schedule this week allows me to get to Curves 3 times. That will be the first time in over a month. I'm hoping I will get myself back on track and get there 3 times. I've been eating terribly over this past weekend.

Kimberly

Adventure Girl,

Thanks for the info. I totally agree with you on doing as many reps as possible if you want to lose weight. I notice that if I don't push myself and do lots of reps, my weight loss goes down. I have never heard of a chart that tells you the recommended repititions for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I would love one. Please copy it and post it for me. I would be eternally grateful. I worry about some of our new members. I have noticed a couple of them visiting a lot and going extremely slow. They socialize more than exercise. I worry that they won't get the weight off and give up. I don't think they realize the importance of really pushing yourself. When they walk away from the machines they aren't one bit tired. I'm usually sore and out of breath. I'm not trying to be critical. I really do care and I want to help them. In fact, a number of people at our gym don't really push themselves much. Maybe this chart will help. If you post one for me I'll show the manager. She's really sweet and I think she'll like it. If not, I'll put the word out that I have one and I'll let everyone see it.

Oh, and the machine where you have the shoulder pads and squat - I hate it too! It makes my legs hurt. But you know what they say. No pain no gain. And it's only 30 seconds at a time, so I guess I'll live. By the way, everyone refers to their husband as DH, What does it stand for? Dumb husband, dear husband, something else, or all of the above? I hope it's not too much trouble for you to make a copy and post that chart, but I would love to see it. Thanks for the info. And don't worry about this weekend. We all fall off the wagon every now and then. Just be sure to get back on track Monday. I've been a little bad myself.

Finally got back to Curves this Saturday. I felt great afterwards. Really tried to put each machine. Was EXHAUSTED when I was done. I am NOT a fit person, though! Now that I am getting my car this week, there will be NO excuse for not going..Of course Curves is closed Sat, Sun and Monday here..just when I am starting to get back on track. My son doesn't go to work until 11 today, so I am going to run and get there early so that I don't lose today. Everyone, keep up the good work. This is the first exercise program I have stuck to ( with my lapse in the month of June). Go three times a week and have been doing it for a year. Love it ( well...not LOVE it exactly, but it works for me!!) Mary

Hello,

I joined Curves in Jan. 03 and by April I was working there! I recently became the manager and have learned so much about fitness, eating habits and just plain getting healthy. I will agree that the main reason why most people are not losing is that they are not using those machines like they are running the 100 yd dash. The other problem is that they come too often!! If you are not giving your muscles 48 hours to recover between workouts, then you are actually damaging your muscles and it will take longer to build up the necessary lean muscle tissue to burn fat. If you do workout (at Curves) every day, or two days in a row, make sure that the alternate days (T/Th, for instance) you go easy on the machines and focus on just keeping your heart rate up for some good old aerobic activity!! Your heart always likes that!

Someone mentioned in an earlier post about converting fat to muscle... that does not happen... fat and muscle are apples and oranges. One can not become the other. However, most of us have muscles that look like a chuck roast (marbled with fat) instead of a tenderloin. The more you build up that muscles, the more of the fat you will burn out of them and the leaner they are, the more efficient your workout will be.

There are many times where members will lose just a pound or two, but many inches I measured a woman this morning who lost 2 pounds, but 14.5 inches! I'll take that any day!!

Keep it up!

Curves women are Amazing Women!!

Zazzy

Crusinqt: Well, I was planning to go to Curves today, but got to work and realized I forgot my gym bag and sneakers. Honestly, it is true. I didn't do it on purpose. LOL Anyway, tomorrow is another day and I hope to remember my sneakers and get to Curves tomorrow. I'll write down the recommended repetitions for each machine and post it on this thread.

I don't mind...I just need to remember to do so.

Take care,

Kimberly

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been going to Curves for a little over a year. I feel pretty successful at losing 35 lbs. and about 33 inches but lately I've been stuck here and I still have quite a bit more to lose. I realized by reading these threads that I haven't been pushing myself on the machines. I used to count my reps on each machine and I don't know when I stopped doing this but I think it's been awhile. Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll check back in and let you know how it works out. Linda :o

Archived