Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi_cruiser

Papeete Suggestions???

Hi Tiki.

Thanks for being so helpful in this forum. I am wondering if you know of a decent wine shop where we could pick up a bottle or two of champagne prior to boarding.

Are you staying at the IC Tahiti prior to boarding? If you are the largest store on the island is an easy walk. We walk it in about 20 minutes from the IC Tahiti. Best selection of wines period plus the best prices.

MarketclosetoICTahiti.jpg

Tahitimarket.jpg

Edited by Tikiintahiti

The IC is exactly where we are staying Tiki. Thanks again :)

Edited by PirateShark

Yes thanks from me as well. Staying there 2 days before my cruise this time and was going to ask about this!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The owner is very nice and goes out of his way to be helpful. You can walk to the Marche in about 25 minutes, I know because I've done it. Highly recommend this place if your not staying at the IC Tahiti. The pictures on the link were taken by me, not some internet site ;)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Tiki - Just wondering if this is what you would recommend for us to do before boarding? We arrive on the 5am Air France flight and have to waste about 7-8 hrs. total before we can get on the ship.

I see that the Avis in PPT is open 24 hrs. a day so that would work for us. We'd probably want to stop somewhere relatively close to the airport for breakfast. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much! I appreciate seeing the Fare Suisse review too - thanks! :)

By the time you clear customs and have your stuff it will be 6am but not much around for breakfast close to the airport. Heading toward downtown could be a bit tricky that time of day unless it's Saturday or Sunday. What day of the week are you arriving?

By the time you clear customs and have your stuff it will be 6am but not much around for breakfast close to the airport. Heading toward downtown could be a bit tricky that time of day unless it's Saturday or Sunday. What day of the week are you arriving?

It's a Friday morning. Would it be better to just head into downtown and wander around the Marche?

Traffic will be a bit heavy but in fact you will find several nice French breakfast places close to the Marche and the docks.

Okay, thanks. :) Now to figure out if we want to do that OR rent the car. The problem is we'll have our luggage with us and I don't know if we can drop it off at the ship at 6:30am and then walk around. The good part about having the car is that we'd have a place to store it.

We are staying at Hotel Tahiti Nui for one evening pre-cruise. Has anyone stayed here? If so can you help me with the following questions:

How far from Airport to hotel and best way to get to the hotel?

How far from Hotel to ship and best way to get there?

Will they allow early check in? Our flight arrives at 5:30 a.m.

Recommendations on things to do when we arrive if we can't check into the hotel early?

Thank in advance,

Hotel Tahiti Nui is located 3-4 blocks from the ship docks, right up Avenue Du Prince Hinoi. Hotel is about 3-4 miles from the airport.

I would take a taxi, about $20 bucks.

Never stayed there.

Close to Marche and other downtown areas.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

We are staying for 1 post cruise night in Tahiti in April 2014, disembark ship 9A and flight out of Tahiti the next morning 7:55A. Considering either IC in Tahiti or one of the smaller Hotel such as Fare Suisse or Hotel Tahiti Nui.

Are there car rental agencies at port after disembarkation to rent a car for use on Tahiti for just 24 hours and then we can drive ourselves to which ever Hotel we book and then return car early the next morning to airport to catch our flight?

Approx. cost for a 1 day rental in Tahiti with drop off at airport, Rental agency?

Good use of our 1 day in Tahiti post cruise?

Other suggestions?

Thanks as always Tiki:)

Already given on this thread but here it is again. I always rent a car, return back at airport. Cost will be $125-$150.

map_zpsae98a36c.jpg

Any suggestions for neat casual place to have a group of six for dinner around Papeete? It will be mid November on a cruise ship that overnights for Saturday night.

Definitely want something with a view.

Also, would love suggestions for private tour operator.

Thanks,

Lulu

I have read some bad reviews on The Bulvedere. Any input would be appreciated.

The Belvedere - great view, so-so food

To me the best view restaurant will decent food is at the IC Tahiti (view of Moorea) or the marina area about 1 mile east of the IC Tahiti.

The Belvedere - great view, so-so food

To me the best view restaurant will decent food is at the IC Tahiti (view of Moorea) or the marina area about 1 mile east of the IC Tahiti.

Thank you! That helps a lot ...

Lulu

Can anyone tell me about this hotel on Moorea? We and another couple will be arriving 3 days in advance of our cruise out of Papeete and were looking for a hotel. We booked the Hibiscus and though some of the pictures look lovely it gets only 2 stars. We don't need Hilton or Intercontinental luxury (or price) and are pretty adventurous. We just don't want to start our vacation in paradise in the hotel from hell. :D

Any experiences or information will be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me about this hotel on Moorea? We and another couple will be arriving 3 days in advance of our cruise out of Papeete and were looking for a hotel. We booked the Hibiscus and though some of the pictures look lovely it gets only 2 stars. We don't need Hilton or Intercontinental luxury (or price) and are pretty adventurous. We just don't want to start our vacation in paradise in the hotel from hell. :D

Any experiences or information will be appreciated.

Have you checked Trip Advisor and their reviews? I always find it helpful to see what others have to say about a hotel or resort. Two stars would worry me but if you are adventurous maybe it would turn out to be just what you want. Reading the past guests reviews would certainly give you some idea as to if it's what you are looking for and will add to your holiday and not take away any of the fun memories.

Good luck and have a great cruise. We are sailing on the Windstar September 2014 out of Papeete and staying 3 nights prior to the cruise in Moorea.

Shirley

A local family owns the place. Has been there for many years. Basic nothing fancy but the location is good as you are close to Le Petite village for cafes and stores plus they run a shuttle over to the motus a few times a day.

A local family owns the place. Has been there for many years. Basic nothing fancy but the location is good as you are close to Le Petite village for cafes and stores plus they run a shuttle over to the motus a few times a day.

Thanks Tiki. The grounds look beautiful. I love to support local businesses over international chains whenever possible so I think we will give it a go. For 3 nights basic is fine since our next 10 will be aboard Oceania's Marina.