Jack's shack. Grand Turk

saphir

Wow, will definitely have to check out Jacks Shack but Margaritaville is awesome....swimup bar, good drinks...great beach right off port, can't beat it!! Love Foxys and Soggy Dollar so maybe Jacks Shack is a little like those places. I guess a walk down the beach never hurts anyone!

Margaritaville *is* awesome for those folks who like big commercial options.

Jacks Shack, etc, are great if you want local flavor.

This was my experience with Jack's Shack. Please don't flame me. I know many folks love Jacks, but this is my honest, candid review of my experience. The free shot of rum coupon is a joke. It should say "free 'sip' of some cheap rum". And, btw, it is a very easy and nice walk to reach it.

My review:

After reading all the reviews here and on Trip Adviser, my wife and I decided to fore-go Margaritaville and venture down to Jack's Shack. What a BIG disappointment. Where do I start? First, no one greeted us and made us feel welcome. There were some locals sitting at the bar and gabbing with all the help. Finally, a young gal came over to us to see what we wanted to order/drink. We told her we had read fantastic reviews about the jerk chicken. She replied "It won't be ready for another hour". Are you kidding me? Our ship pulls into port at 12 noon and we walk over by 12:30 and they just fired up the BBQ? You'd think that they would have lunch ready to go by noon when a ship full of people pulls up at that time. So, we decided to wait as we had nothing else to do. She took our order for a diet coke and deserted us for the next 45 minutes. We finally placed our order for the chicken and by 2:00 were eating lunch. Chicken tasted great, but was chopped up very differently and most pieces had bone splinters sticking out from them. The whole time there, we felt like we were intruding on their little party as not one worker ever engaged us in any type of conversation. Now, I don't need to have my hand held and ego stroked, but if your business is dependent on cruise ship tourists, you would think that Jack's staff would go out of their way a bit to make the tourists feel welcomed and try to show some interest in them and appreciate them walking past many other food and beverage stands to go to them. The only redeeming part of the visit was watching their cute dog, Topher. digging his head in the sand time and time again. I can not recommend this place. In fact, a few other competitors have opened up on the sand nearby and we should have tried one of them, but had read nothing but great things about Jack's. After spending 3 hours of being bored and ignored, we headed back to the ship and decided to stop by Margaritaville. It was lively, colorful, full of people, good music playing, great swimming pool and lots and lots of folks having a good time. Should have gone there instead. Final HIT or MISS review:

1. Location = MISS

2. Atmosphere = MISS

3. Friendliness = MISS

4. Customer Service = MISS

5. Food = HIT

6. Topher the Dog = HIT

7. Overall = MISS

This was my experience with Jack's Shack. Please don't flame me. I know many folks love Jacks, but this is my honest, candid review of my experience. The free shot of rum coupon is a joke. It should say "free 'sip' of some cheap rum". And, btw, it is a very easy and nice walk to reach it.

My review:

After reading all the reviews here and on Trip Adviser, my wife and I decided to fore-go Margaritaville and venture down to Jack's Shack. What a BIG disappointment. Where do I start? First, no one greeted us and made us feel welcome. There were some locals sitting at the bar and gabbing with all the help. Finally, a young gal came over to us to see what we wanted to order/drink. We told her we had read fantastic reviews about the jerk chicken. She replied "It won't be ready for another hour". Are you kidding me? Our ship pulls into port at 12 noon and we walk over by 12:30 and they just fired up the BBQ? You'd think that they would have lunch ready to go by noon when a ship full of people pulls up at that time. So, we decided to wait as we had nothing else to do. She took our order for a diet coke and deserted us for the next 45 minutes. We finally placed our order for the chicken and by 2:00 were eating lunch. Chicken tasted great, but was chopped up very differently and most pieces had bone splinters sticking out from them. The whole time there, we felt like we were intruding on their little party as not one worker ever engaged us in any type of conversation. Now, I don't need to have my hand held and ego stroked, but if your business is dependent on cruise ship tourists, you would think that Jack's staff would go out of their way a bit to make the tourists feel welcomed and try to show some interest in them and appreciate them walking past many other food and beverage stands to go to them. The only redeeming part of the visit was watching their cute dog, Topher. digging his head in the sand time and time again. I can not recommend this place. In fact, a few other competitors have opened up on the sand nearby and we should have tried one of them, but had read nothing but great things about Jack's. After spending 3 hours of being bored and ignored, we headed back to the ship and decided to stop by Margaritaville. It was lively, colorful, full of people, good music playing, great swimming pool and lots and lots of folks having a good time. Should have gone there instead. Final HIT or MISS review:

1. Location = MISS

2. Atmosphere = MISS

3. Friendliness = MISS

4. Customer Service = MISS

5. Food = HIT

6. Topher the Dog = HIT

7. Overall = MISS

I had the very same experience and also reported it here. We paid ...10.00 I think for a broken chair and umbrella and ordered a bucket of beer. After 20 mins our beer arrived and was hot....we took it to the bar to request cold beer. It was hard to get Jack's attention because he was busy with his " buddies" and finally his wife got us some cold beer, even though it wasn't our brands...(our brands weren't cold yet....at 2:00 pm)

Over all, the beer was overpriced as were the broken chairs and we won't be back......and yes, we are going back to Grand Turk in a month. We will stop at the bar before Jack's this time. Free chairs and cheaper beer.... I'll be sure to report on that bar when I return.

I had the very same experience and also reported it here. We paid ...10.00 I think for a broken chair and umbrella and ordered a bucket of beer. After 20 mins our beer arrived and was hot....we took it to the bar to request cold beer. It was hard to get Jack's attention because he was busy with his " buddies" and finally his wife got us some cold beer, even though it wasn't our brands...(our brands weren't cold yet....at 2:00 pm)

Over all, the beer was overpriced as were the broken chairs and we won't be back......and yes, we are going back to Grand Turk in a month. We will stop at the bar before Jack's this time. Free chairs and cheaper beer.... I'll be sure to report on that bar when I return.

I am so glad someone else affirms this. I couldn't believe all the hoopla about Jack's on the internet. I await your report on Grand Turk after you cruise.

Going in April, so I can't wait to get more opinions on where to go. I love a good jerk chicken, but service, beverages, etc, don't sound very good.

Been SO looking forward to seeing GT and I want it to be a good, memorable time.

Finally talked my husband into this cruise for our 25th anniversary. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loved Jacks Shack. A bit if a walk, but well worth every step. Not crowded, and snorkeled under the pier just down from there. The jerked chicken was outstanding, we had a bit of trouble ordering, but that made it fun to us! Try a Turk beer, it's amazing, and don't forget to look for sea glass.

Can you take dog treats for the dogs a Jack's Shack?

We brought dog biscuits to feed the fish while snorkeling and we tried to give Topher one but he wouldn't eat them. Maybe they weren't his brand. But you are allowed to yes.

We were in grand turke a few weeks ago. We loved it! Started out relaxing in front of margaritaville and ordering drinks. Yes it's expensive but I found the margaritas very strong plus they gave an extra shot of tequila with each one. We took a walk to the jacks checking all the venders along the way. I'm shocked to hear the comments about how far it is because we didn't think it was far at all. We walked back to our chairs and hung out there fir a while before heading back to jacks for lunch. Food was good but I thought the prices were similar to that of margaritaville. Bar and tables were both crowded and we stood around waiting for someone to leave. Staff was basically non existent as we went up to bar and ordered and than gave our ticket to the cook. Bar tender was busy so I understand why there was no conversation.

I wasn't overly impressed with jacks. I would try the bar that was in between jacks and margaritaville next time.

On a side note we went out on the banana boats and the giant tube ride. Both were incredible fun and the guys running it were very nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I loved JS! Their drinks are sooo good and very strong. Be careful with them lol I know from experience after being in the heat. A bunch of drinks and yea.... I've never blacked out ever but did lol. I think it was a combo of the heat strong yummy drinks ie toooo many and we had done snuba earlier.

The jerk chicken was sooooo good. The walk isn't bad. Hell I did it with help on the way back and don't even remember Lol. It's a do not miss go have one enjoy the view and some chicken. Jack and Janet are very sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes please!! I'd like to know that also. I'll be there in...............7 days. :)

There is a bar at the White Sands resort you can hang out at and they have free wifi. We did a tour with Island Trams and they pick up from this bar/restaurant. When we go back we had lunch which was good and used the wifi. It is just outside the cruise port beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there 2 ports in Grand Turk? That photo of Jacks looks really close to the ship?? We are on the Carnival breeze and thought we were going to be right by Margaritaville?? Planned to start at Margaritaville and walk towards Jacks?? Someone mentioned banana boats, where are these and how much?? I also saw a picture somewhere with water trampoline and rock wall in water in front of Jacks, are those still there?? Thanks so much for any info :) (oops forgot to ask about jet skis, any place to rent those?)

Thanks, anyone know about banana boat, jet skis or water trampoline??

Yeah, the picture is a bit decieving. It is close but not that close.

There was a water trampoline and other things beside us at Jack's Shack, I didn't check out the prices.

Sorry, didn't notice the other two around (not saying there isn't).

• 4 weeks later...

This place sounds like we would enjoy it a lot more than Margaritaville, but I will be traveling with my children (8,9, &13.) Is it appropriate for them? Will there be activities? They are more than happy to be on a beach all day, if the swimming is not too rough.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know the price too? We were there in 2011 and there was no water toys. Jack Shack was kid friendly. The kids had fun just playing in the water it was not rough at all. The drinks were good as well as the jerk chicken.