Review of NCL Jewel to Alaska May 25-June 1, 2013

Aurora2143

Thanks. Hikini's a very Hawaiian name. Are you from the islands?

]

No....only in spirit! My family loves to travel to Hawaii and Kini is my Hawaiian name. I added the Hi to it many years ago on a whim one day and it stuck.

And by the way...that swordfish sandwich in Cagney's - I LOVE IT!!! I think I ordered it 5 times for lunch on our last cruise, and by the 2nd day I had many of the other 6 in our party ordering it as well. I love the sauce on it. Can't wait to have it again!!

Aurora,

thank you so much for your wonderful review and beautiful pictures.

I am inspired to book myself and my daughter on the Jewel in July.

I would love to see any Freestyle Daily(ies) that you can scan!

Thanks again,

Julie

Couple questions.

How was the 32oz steak in Le Bistro? I've always thought about ordering it but worried it would be 16 oz steak and 16 oz fat like some of the steaks we've gotten in Cagney's (although those were much smaller).

Also, was that the Disney Wonder in Ketchikan?

Thanks for an awesome recap of your cruise, Aurora! You have a great looking family, and it sounds like everyone really enjoyed themselves.

Mind if I put a link to this review in my signature area with the others?

Thanks for an awesome recap of your cruise, Aurora! You have a great looking family, and it sounds like everyone really enjoyed themselves.

Mind if I put a link to this review in my signature area with the others?

SDMike: I don't mind at all. It would be awesome for people to see different things to do on the same trip. :)

dexddd: The steak was enormous! It's so big, they cut it for you at table side. I probably should have put something next to the steak in the photo as a frame of reference on how large it it. It was also melt in your mouth tender.

Moonjelly: I will scan and post them in the next few days. :)

Great review and pictures, we have been to Alaska 3 times and while it's only been a year since the last trip your review makes me miss it badly enough that I have just booked a cruise to Alaska for next year. Your descriptions of your excursions have inspired us to try them. Great job!!

Day 4 – Juneau, AK

Got into port about 7am and had to meet the driver at 9am for our Temsco Pilot’s Choice tour. So, we had Teodore bring us breakfast in our room while we got ready.

According to our instructions: (When you depart your ship, look for the Mt. Roberts Tramway. Facing the mountain that the tram ascends, on the right side of the tramway parking lot, you will see a 15 foot tall sign shaped like a lollipop (disc on the end of a stick) displaying “Dock C”. If you stand at that sign, you are in the right place!

So my hubby and I were on our balcony looking and looking for this lollipop thing with our binoculars and couldn’t find it. So we decided to give ourselves a little extra time and got off the ship at 8:30am. Walked around that whole parking lot over and over, asking for directions and finally hubby notices the tramway…a couple ships over. Now by this time, it’s about 5 ‘til 9 and DH is panicking. We have to catch a shuttle to get over there and the line is really long! So I asked one of the taxi drivers if he would take us over and he said no. He only does tours and we will have to wait for the shuttle. Now by this time, hubby’s face has turned about 4 shades of red and I had to calm him down. He doesn’t like to be late.

Finally got on the shuttle bus, found the lollipop sign and off we were to our tour.

And here's DS and me in the front seat of the helicopter…

DSCN1162_zpsaf754a02.jpg

First stop on glacier, I think it was called Guilky glacier. As we were flying over, we saw this beautiful pool and he turned around and stopped there.

DSCN1189_zps7bdc7979.jpg

DSCN1192_zps69705c73.jpg

The camera just can't capture the beautiful shade of blue. Truly amazing!!

DSCN1193_zps3e9119f5.jpg

Our second stop, the icy planes – which was covered with snow, but still so beautiful!!

DSCN1213_zpsb364fe1d.jpg

DSCN1212_zpsfe83035b.jpg

After the helicopter tour, we had planned on going to Tracy’s Crab Shack for lunch before returning to the ship. There was a bit of an issue with the transportation back and had to wait almost 45 minutes for them to drive us back, sooo….we took Tracy’s off the itinerary and told ourselves that we can have King Crab at the Skagway Fish Company tomorrow.

We get back to the lollipop sign at 12:45 and all aboard for our ship was 1:00pm. Here comes hubby’s panic again when he sees the really long like for the shuttle back to our ship. His biggest fear – being left behind. So I walk over to the main road and found a taxi driver but he was waiting for his large party to get in his car, but he was nice enough to call another one on his radio. I swear the 3 minute wait felt like half an hour with a husband who’s freaking out thinking the ship is going to leave without us. Finally, after what felt like eternity the cab driver comes and whisked us back to the ship…as he shared stories of people who have been left behind. LMBO!!!

So we get in line to get back on the ship, and mind you everyone is trying to get back on so the line is a little long. Still in a panic thinking at exactly 1pm, they’re going to shutdown the gangway and whose who are still outside will be left behind, I explained that we could either catch a flight to Skagway or I’ll look for one of those fjord tours that will meet up with the ship in Tracy Arm (knowing that those tours left Juneau about 15 minutes ago, but he didn’t need to know that), finally calmed him down.

Hi,

After seeing these pictures, I really want to go!

Thanks to all of you who are enjoying this review.

For those that are waiting for the dailys, I'm having scanner issues. I'm thinking I might just have to try and take pictures of them and see how they turn out.

Thanks to all of you who are enjoying this review.

For those that are waiting for the dailys, I'm having scanner issues. I'm thinking I might just have to try and take pictures of them and see how they turn out.

thank you for trying I know I really appreciate it. and its funny I no longer use my scanner anymore I always use my camera to take a picture it's just so much easier.:-)

Edit Day 5.

I must have gotten my evenings mixed up. Our dinner was in Le Bistro for day 5 and Teppanyaki was on the evening of Day 6. Sorry folks. Hard to keep track when your brain is still in vacation scrambled mode. ☺

So dinner in LeBistro was once again wonderful. I had the duck which DH wished he ordered after he got a bite of mine (of course we share our food so he gave me half his steak and I gave him half of my duck). DS had the lobster dish again and also the steak. We all had the escargot for appetizer. Best food that we had on the ship(aside from the Portuguese Bean Soup in Moderno).

kyle_2137_zpseb7d2188.jpg

Loved your review!! I love this picture! You're so beautiful and have two Handsome men. Your step son reminds me of my oldest son :)

I have a question about your shellfish allergy, Have you always had it or is it something new? Also when you went to Teppi how hard was it to keep your food separate from others who eat shellfish.

I developed my allergy over the last 10 years or so, Mine was an off and on thing which drove me nuts. My last joy with shellfish was a 5 pound lobster that put me in the ER. I've been to the ER about 4 times because I couldn't keep my hands off of the stuff, the last time I was told if I did it again I would die :eek::mad::(

Sorry I didn't mean to blab I have a tendency to do that:o

Loved your review!! I love this picture! You're so beautiful and have two Handsome men. Your step son reminds me of my oldest son :)

I have a question about your shellfish allergy, Have you always had it or is it something new? Also when you went to Teppi how hard was it to keep your food separate from others who eat shellfish.

I developed my allergy over the last 10 years or so, Mine was an off and on thing which drove me nuts. My last joy with shellfish was a 5 pound lobster that put me in the ER. I've been to the ER about 4 times because I couldn't keep my hands off of the stuff, the last time I was told if I did it again I would die :eek::mad::(

Sorry I didn't mean to blab I have a tendency to do that:o

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

My shellfish allergy started around 6 years ago. It was by looking back hind sight and figuring it out. For about 6 months, my girlfriend would always ask me if I'd been crying after we went out and had dinner at Red Lobster or something. We just figured my face was red from the cocktails I'd had.

6 months later, a week before my wedding we were at my brother in law's house when I had my real reaction. I woke up in the morning after having some shrimp soup the night before...lets just say I looked like Will Smith on Hitched.

Eyes were swollen shut and my lips were 5x it's normal size.

Since then, I would load up on Benadryl and I seemed ok, until this cruise. I seemed to get sinus issues and had a little trouble breathing. I'd also swell up. So I think The Lord really wanted me to just stop.

To answer your question about Teppan, they did a good job I think. They wouldn't let me have the salad or soup appetizer in case of cross contamination, they kept the shellfish on a separate plate from all the meats and they cooked the shellfish last after all my food had been cooked. Also, when I wanted more rice, he washed his spatula before scooping my rice. I hope that answered your question.

And sorry, I can talk forever!

Pattie

Edited by Aurora2143

Really really enjoyed your review. Your photos from the helicopter Temsco Pilot’s Choice tour are just amazing. The glacier pool was so blue, beautiful!

I know how much these work these photo reviews are since I'm doing one myself for the Sun June 3rd Alaska sailing. Our shore activities were different but we were both able to have wonderful cruises and enjoy the splendors of Alaska.

Thanks again for sharing and happy cruising :)

BTW Michelle, are you allergic to all shellfish (scallops, oysters, etc) or is it just shrimp, lobsters and crab? I'm still trying to figure this out without putting myself into the hospital. ;)

Right at this time I consider myself allergic to all shellfish. Believe it or not squid, octopus, cuddle fish & snails are considered shellfish:eek:

If I had medical coverage I could go get what's called a scratch test to see if its all shellfish or just some. If you do have medical go talk to your Dr. he/she can set something up for you :)

Right at this time I consider myself allergic to all shellfish. Believe it or not squid, octopus, cuddle fish & snails are considered shellfish:eek:

If I had medical coverage I could go get what's called a scratch test to see if its all shellfish or just some. If you do have medical go talk to your Dr. he/she can set something up for you :)

Thanks, I'll do that. ;)

I have such a hard time staying away from the stuff. :(

Thanks, I'll do that. ;)

I have such a hard time staying away from the stuff. :(

I totally understand that one. The last time I had any shellfish was about 2 or 3 years ago :( I hate food shopping now, because I have to read everything just to male sure there is no shellfish.

I can still eat the imitation crab stuff

I loved your review, especially the photos. When we were on our AK cruise we did not have funds for arial tours so I especially enjoyed your photos from the floatplane and from the helicopter. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them.

Thanks for sharing your photos -- my Juneau flight was fogged out so I loved seeing your pics! The colors are amazing!

Oh and do you happen to know which espresso machine that is in the room? I'd probably OD on caffeine if I had access to a one-touch like that, but I would like to know what brand it is.

I have another question? Do you remember what the bath products scents are?

I hope none of them are lavender, because it makes me sick

I'm so sorry, I didn't use the products so I'm not sure.

Hi, your pictures are so good, would you mind telling what kind or type of camera you were using, I have to but a new one for my AK trip.

Most of the photos were taken with the Nikon Coolpix L120 and the Sony Cybershot. The photos taken indoors were dark because DH didn't use the flash. We're not good photographers and have asked a friend to show us some pointers before our next cruise.

We also just bought a new camera that I Gambee here on CC used for his Breakaway review. Sony NEX-F3. Hoping this one will take better photos.

Thanks for sharing your photos -- my Juneau flight was fogged out so I loved seeing your pics! The colors are amazing!

Oh and do you happen to know which espresso machine that is in the room? I'd probably OD on caffeine if I had access to a one-touch like that, but I would like to know what brand it is.

We sure did luck out with the gorgeous weather we had.

I believe the coffee was Lavazza. (sp?)

It was really really good.

• 2 weeks later...
What tour operator did you use for the Crab Feast ?

This was the only tour I booked through the cruise line. I contacted the lodge directly, but they must have some kind of contract or something. So, that's the only way I was able to book it. :)