Cruise Critic Community
TonRin

Why call it a Junior 'SUITE'?

Why call it a 'Junior Suite' if you are not going to get all the suite perks?

I can't understand it. Why not just call it something like 'Extra Large Superior Robed & Bath Tubbed Balcony Stateroom '!! Then there would be no confusing what you are actually going to get and you wont feel jibbed by not getting all the perks because its not called a suite. If you call it a suite, it is a suite as far as I am concerned and if your paying an avarage of $400+ extra per person for it, why not have the same perks as all the other suites..

Lucky my wife drinks coffee. That will make it worth every penny more! NOT.

My 2 cents!

SWEET :D

Why call it a 'Junior Suite' if you are not going to get all the suite perks?

I can't understand it. Why not just call it something like 'Extra Large Superior Robed & Bath Tubbed Balcony Stateroom '!! Then there would be no confusing what you are actually going to get and you wont feel jibbed by not getting all the perks because its not called a suite. If you call it a suite, it is a suite as far as I am concerned and if your paying an avarage of $400+ extra per person for it, why not have the same perks as all the other suites..

Lucky my wife drinks coffee. That will make it worth every penny more! NOT.

My 2 cents!

SWEET :D

I have already been told that I am Offensive when I bought this up but

"It was designed for Would be if they Could be's by RCI"

You know the sort who go home and say

We had a Suite on XYZ

We had a Butler on one of those upmarket Ships

We were at the Captains Table

etc etc :p

It is considerably larger than a balcony stateroom.

It has a bath tub.

Many have a walk-in closet.

You get double C&A points for it.

Would you like a little cheese with that WHINE?

Their "Sweet" enough for some of us that even prefer them to the GS's ;):D

Edited by Ashland

It is considerably larger than a balcony stateroom.

It has a bath tub.

Many have a walk-in closet.

You get double C&A points for it.

Would you like a little cheese with that WHINE?

I'm not whining at all, there is just no logic to it!

A suite is a suite.. Whether its a small suite or a royal suite.. it's a suite!

Its not a Junior Room, or a Junior cubby house... Its called a Junior Suite!

Its like buying a brand new car but the fine print says - excludes wheels!

PS: You forgot the coffee machine... How dare you! :D

We've booked a JS lots of times - we wanted the extra room, the bath, and the double points. I understood the deal and didn't expect any other suite perks. As someone pointed out a true suite is MUCH more expensive.

I couldn't care less what the cabin was called but the double points alone was probably the best feature and the speed with which we made it to D+ by staying in JS's made it 'suite' enough for us :D

Or maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I'm D+ - or I'll be accused of being one of the boasters ;)

Edited by Bobal

The clue is in the title. It's called "Junior" because it hasn't quite grown up into a proper one yet although it clearly has some of the adult attributes.

Miopyk

Edited by miopyk

More space then a typical balcony cabin, double points and when you can get a good deal on one we are all over it We have one booked on LOS in December.

Edited by dfishner

We've booked a JS lots of times - we wanted the extra room, the bath, and the double points. I understood the deal and didn't expect any other suite perks. As someone pointed out a true suite is MUCH more expensive.

I couldn't care less what the cabin was called but the double points alone was probably the best feature and the speed with which we made it to D+ by staying in JS's made it 'suite' enough for us :D

Or maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I'm D+ - or I'll be accused of being one of the boasters ;)

Me 2. We have JS1100 on Serenade in October. I got this for the balcony and the double points. Couldn't care less about the rest, especially the bath. Have one at home and never use it.

Would the Op like the wording changed to a Mini Suite like other lines.

Edited by bigeck

Other Names To Consider:

Almost A Suite

Suite Envy

Home Suite Home

Funny!!! :):):) CC really needs a "like button"

The clue is in the title. It's called "Junior" because it hasn't quite grown up into a proper one yet although it clearly has some of the adult attributes.

Miopyk

Need a like button for this one :D

I've always wondered this. I agree, should be renamed!

Why not just name it another category of Balcony Stateroom, which reflects more what you get? Balcony Stateroom Prime or something?

In the airport at Fort Lauderdale, I was talking to a lady who had just gotten off Oasis. She said it was lovely but booked a balcony stateroom and was shocked to find it didn't overlook the ocean. There are LOTS of people out there who don't research their vacations at all, spend 5 minutes on a website or with a TA and just book it. (Shocking, I know, that some folks don't spend every waking moment on CC!)

I agree that the name is confusing for the majority of passengers (let's face it, that is NOT us here on CC) and a poor business practice.

I feel it would make more sense to rename them, OR even more sense to rename the other suites to be "Grand concierge room" "concierge owner's suite" etc---since it is the concierge services that are truly the distinction.

More space then a typical balcony cabin, double points and when you can get a good deal on one we are all over it

Yes.

I don't get the confusion, deception. :confused:

If you read, ... you know exactly what you are getting, ... and what you are not.

A "Junior" Suite on Royal has more perks than a "Grand" Suite on the cruise line with the red and blue whale tail. :cool:

I think that the Junior Suite designation is appropriate and reflects what you get. More than a standard room but less than a Suite.

Edited by Tapi

I can see where someone who hasn't been educated otherwise might book a junior suite and be very disappointed that they don't get the full suite benefits.

Personally, we cruise steerage, so I don't have to worry. ;)

A "Junior" Suite on Royal has more perks than a "Grand" Suite on the cruise line with the red and blue whale tail. :cool:

I think that the Junior Suite designation is appropriate and reflects what you get. More than a standard room but less than a Suite.

Silly you injecting logic into this discussion.

I agree that the name is confusing for the majority of passengers (let's face it, that is NOT us here on CC) and a poor business practice.

I feel it would make more sense to rename them, OR even more sense to rename the other suites to be "Grand concierge room" "concierge owner's suite" etc---since it is the concierge services that are truly the distinction.

There is a lot more to it than just the concierge lounge/services also unless the revitalizations are complete on the ones that lacked it, not all ships even have a Concierge lounge.

It's not just RC that has suites that aren't. HAL had the "Signature Suite" and Princess has the "Mini Suite" which are really just larger staterooms with none of the "real" suite benefits. I agree it's a bit confusing for new cruisers but the cabin descriptions online are clear that you aren't getting all the suite amenities with these cabins. I guess cruise lines think using the term "suite" makes cruisers think the cabins are more special than they really are so they can charge premium rates for them.

100% agree. The name is fine and the rooms are wonderful. The problem is going back to the D1 or D2 after you have one!