Cruise Critic Community
TonRin

Why call it a Junior 'SUITE'?

Bloody Brilliant!!! :D

actually on GR, I noticed that it is not marketed as a JS although the cabin category lists it as such

It's called something like a Superior Oceanview or some such.

personally I think the double points and the extra room are worth calling it a suite. even if it is Junior. if there ever comes a time where we cannot afford our normal GS we will 'settle' for a JS.

**GASP** :eek:

All the cruise lines have this catagory. Celebrity calls it a Sky Suite, I think Princess calls it a Mini Suite, Hal calls it, I think, an S1--the S2's get the real perks, access to the Neptune lounge (I might have reversed those #'s). You get what you pay for. What's the big deal?

We just got back from our first Royal cruise. We booked a Junior Suite after reading the descriptions of the cabins and looking at the pictures of various categories online. We got what we expected to get. I don't see the problem.

Whatever its called I like the room. It's all I've ever stayed in.

For the price, priority checking line, priority boarding, double points, more room, bigger balcony. Ours was only $275 more for two people, 7 days on Oasis.

It is considerably larger than a balcony stateroom.

It has a bath tub.

Many have a walk-in closet.

You get double C&A points for it.

Would you like a little cheese with that WHINE?

It doesn't have to be called a Jr. Suite to have those amenities. There are difference between Deluxe and Superior balconies; therefore there could be differences (size, tub, walk-in closet, and dbl points) with another balcony cabin. I think someone mentioned something like Supreme or maybe Premiere.

The big difference for Royal is that they can charge a lot more for a cabin with the word Suite in it.

I&J Cruisers - Sky Suites on Celebrity ships are full suites. It has all the amenities of the other suites, including a butler. I had one last year on Silhouette. You may be thinking of the Concierge Cabins on Celebrity (not called "suite"). It has concierge access and a few upgrades but is not a suite.

Why do you think Junior Suites have access to priority boarding? Below is info directly from RCL's web site and it states priority boarding is not included.

Enhanced Program for Suite Guests Staying in the following suites*:

Royal Suite, Royal Family Suite, Presidential Family Suite, Owner's Suite, Grand Suite

Oasis Class: Royal Loft Suite, Sky Loft Suite, AquaTheater Suite & Crown Loft Suite

*Excludes Junior Suites

Priority check-in

Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

VIP pool deck seating, where available

Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

Complimentary luggage valet service

Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

Complimentary pressing service on formal night

Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

The junior suites definitely get priority boarding. We have used it every time, and it works perfectly. It's one of the perks I like.

the clue is in the title. It's called "junior" because it hasn't quite grown up into a proper one yet although it clearly has some of the adult attributes.

Miopyk

rofl

.......The big difference for Royal is that they can charge a lot more for a cabin with the word Suite in it.
You just reminded me of the "Verandah Suite" we had on HAL.

It was a very nice balcony cabin, but hardly a suite.

The only thing that made it a suite was that they charged a suite price for it. :D

It seems the different cruise lines have their own versions of larger one-room balcony cabins where they toss in a few perks, charge a higher price for them, and call them "suites" of one type or another.

Why? Because when you print out your SetSail pass it says SUITE in big letters ................
Well, if you want to bother printing out your own Set Sail pass for that matter you can print SUITE in big letters, or anything else you want on it, even if you booked an inside cabin. :)

Me 2. We have JS1100 on Serenade in October. I got this for the balcony and the double points. Couldn't care less about the rest, especially the bath. Have one at home and never use it.

Would the Op like the wording changed to a Mini Suite like other lines.

Nice...#1100 is one of our favorites, amazing cabin/location/balcony on our 12 night Baltic cruise OMG...ENJOY !! :D:D

Edited by Ashland

Well, if you want to bother printing out your own Set Sail pass for that matter you can print SUITE in big letters, or anything else you want on it, even if you booked an inside cabin. :)

Good luck making a barcode that will scan when checking in:rolleyes:

Good luck making a barcode that will scan when checking in:rolleyes:

Actually quite easy to do, you just use your original Setsail with Barcode and put the Suite stuff on there. But then why should one do that. The only Thing achieved would be the use of the priority check-in line and we all know how much of a perk that is with all suites, PC´s, D+´s, D´s, E´s, P´s and G´s in that line. I´d say the regular line might be the shortest anyway.;)

I have already been told that I am Offensive when I bought this up but

"It was designed for Would be if they Could be's by RCI"

So is the same true about people who book balconies instead of outside rooms? And outside rooms versus inside rooms? Lord, are we headed back to the Titanic age where we have steerage and you can't go above your deck because that is only for the full paying customers?

For me it has never been so I could say I was in a suite. I loved the extra room and double points. Extra room in the bathroom including a tub. Could care less about the robes.

I can afford a "full suite" but just like other passengers, we purchase what we want. To many, buying an inside allows them to go on more than one cruise a year and they are happy with the accomodations.

Why call it a 'Junior Suite' if you are not going to get all the suite perks?

I can't understand it. Why not just call it something like 'Extra Large Superior Robed & Bath Tubbed Balcony Stateroom '!! Then there would be no confusing what you are actually going to get and you wont feel jibbed by not getting all the perks because its not called a suite. If you call it a suite, it is a suite as far as I am concerned and if your paying an avarage of $400+ extra per person for it, why not have the same perks as all the other suites..

Lucky my wife drinks coffee. That will make it worth every penny more! NOT.

My 2 cents!

SWEET :D

Yeah, I think it's pretty obtuse...and easy to,get "caught" thinking you are getting something you are not if you don't read every inch of paperwork (not like its super clear anywhere) and troll CC 24/7. Also, newbies don't give a rip about about double points and they are the most likely to get snared in this little bait and switch scheme. I would think it would make more sense to make it far more clear to your customers to stop calling it a suite, and not try to confuse your newer cruisers, but there it is and there it stays, despite many feeling the way you do, which makes me question their motives. Can we really just call it disorganization or semantics or is it more? :confused:

So if you think it's a rip off (and I do) why not downgrade before you sail? No law says you have to keep that cabin. :D If I felt duped in this way, that's what I would do!

If not, well, then enjoy your tub, works out to about 100 bucks a day...have a nice long soak!:D

The clue is in the title. It's called "Junior" because it hasn't quite grown up into a proper one yet although it clearly has some of the adult attributes.

Miopyk

I could not have said this better myself :p

Nice...#1100 is one of our favorites, amazing cabin/location/balcony on our 12 night Baltic cruise OMG...ENJOY !! :D:D

Just reminded me. Its not far away now and so much looking forward to this. 1st time in this room. Hasn't had a bad review yet. Sailing in and out of Venice will be great

We booked JS several times and loved them. Including the double points. Never realized there were fancy perks until we booked a GS because we couldn't get a JS. Perks were nice and we're GS on the next but I don't feel we lost out on anything before.

And my sister had a Cimarron in the 80s. Was it really a Cadillac?

Seems I have hit a nerve with some people!

It surprises me how many of the readers here on CC think that just because a comment is made that you have no idea what your talking about and that you haven't studied up on anything. Sure, i'm a newbie on CC and the cruises I am booked on in Feb 2014 will be my first and I know exactly what I am getting in my JS and have no problems with it. Thats why I booked them. My wife will be very happy. My original question was 'why call it a suite if you don't get the suite perks?'. Simple logical question I thought. There are alot of haters on these forums from some of the comments made I can see. Thanks to all the people that gave constructive criticism & comments. :)

I didnt mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. I was simply asking a question that I was curious about.

Maybe my next question will be 'Why do they call it Starboard & Port instead of left & right? I am a newbie afterall!!!! :rolleyes:

Why? Because when you print out your SetSail pass it says SUITE in big letters and allows you to check in the Priority Line:) And yes, it does work.

I can back this up, because I've done it and can testify - this works! :D

Maybe my next question will be 'Why do they call it Starboard & Port instead of left & right? I am a newbie afterall!!!! :rolleyes:

In the early days the steer board (later to be called the rudder) was tied to the right side of the ship so the left side was tied up to the dock at port to avoid crushing the steer board.

Really!

:D

In the early days the steer board (later to be called the rudder) was tied to the right side of the ship so the left side was tied up to the dock at port to avoid crushing the steer board.

Really!

Thanks StashZ. Explains it well.

So my JS will be on the starboard side of the ship... Woohooo! :D

In my opinion you have nothing to be sorry for you just asked a question. Enjoy your cruise :D

Thanks. I appreciate your support.

Seems I have hit a nerve with some people!

It surprises me how many of the readers here on CC think that just because a comment is made that you have no idea what your talking about and that you haven't studied up on anything. Sure, i'm a newbie on CC and the cruises I am booked on in Feb 2014 will be my first and I know exactly what I am getting in my JS and have no problems with it. Thats why I booked them. My wife will be very happy. My original question was 'why call it a suite if you don't get the suite perks?'. Simple logical question I thought. There are alot of haters on these forums from some of the comments made I can see. Thanks to all the people that gave constructive criticism & comments. :)

I didnt mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. I was simply asking a question that I was curious about.

Precisely! The whole junior suite deal is confusing to people new to Royal, so why do they do it? Why don't they change it? Must be a reason:rolleyes:

Really!

Yup, and it used to be called the steer board and the "lade board" which was the loading and un loading side, thus that side could be right next to the dock in port and not interfere with the steering of the ship. Steer board and lade board sound so similar that with the advent of radio communication, they just started calling it "port" and starboard as so not to sound confusing over staticky radio waves:D