Intercontinental Tahiti, Papeete... room choice

Tweedy

Question for anyone who has stayed at the Intercontinental Papeete...

Which room type would you choose: lagoon, garden or panoramic? Unfortunately, unless I win the lotto, the overwater bungalo is off the list but I would dearly love to stay in one.

I'm trying to decide which room would be most accessible to the pool and the lagoonarium.

I've read that the Panoramic ones are the best. I've been doing A LOT of research on which hotel to choose there and TripAdvisor reviews have really helped. Also, it might help reading reviews on the hotel's website, Travelocity and other websites like that. People get pretty specific about which rooms to go with on the reviews. Good luck!

The real question asked was, "I'm trying to decide which room would be most accessible to the pool and the lagoonarium"

That's why I gave the answer I did, not that it would be my pick but it is the acurate answer for the question .............

Most people only stay here for a night or two. This is not for a week's stay at a nice resort when the choice of room might be critical. So go for the cheapest room you can get. This is a rather overpriced chain hotel that basically doubles as an airport transit lounge.

Thanks for all the replies.

I find sometimes when I read all the reviews that are out there, I can confuse myself because there is just so much information but that's just me. We are only in Tahiti two nights before we board the ship. I really really would like to stay in a bungalow but because we are boarding our dog for the time we are away, his expense is the difference for my bungalow. Still waiting for that lotto win though. ;)

We've stayed in Garden rooms, panoramic and bungalows--If I were you I'd take the panoramic--nice sized room with a wonderful view (most of the time)

The hotel is quite long--they take you to your room in the back of a pickup truck as I remember--our first time there was about 3 am--

Don't feel too badly about the bungalows--they are not the greatest there--although I would still stay in them!!! Enjoy yourself--you'll have a great time--what cruise are you going on???

Nancy:D:D

We've stayed in Garden rooms, panoramic and bungalows--If I were you I'd take the panoramic--nice sized room with a wonderful view (most of the time)

The hotel is quite long--they take you to your room in the back of a pickup truck as I remember--our first time there was about 3 am--

Don't feel too badly about the bungalows--they are not the greatest there--although I would still stay in them!!! Enjoy yourself--you'll have a great time--what cruise are you going on???

I've been studying the pictures of the grounds and saw that all the buildings are spread out. Travelling in the back of a pick-up... I'll have to keep that bit of info to myself. I don't think my 72 year old Mom would enjoy that very much.

I think it's more the novelty of staying in an overwater bungalow that appeals to me. Who knows if I'll ever get back to this part of the world.

We are sailing on the Pacific Princess next April.

I've been studying the pictures of the grounds and saw that all the buildings are spread out. Travelling in the back of a pick-up... I'll have to keep that bit of info to myself. I don't think my 72 year old Mom would enjoy that very much.

I think it's more the novelty of staying in an overwater bungalow that appeals to me. Who knows if I'll ever get back to this part of the world.

We are sailing on the Pacific Princess next April.

The back of the pickup truck has wood benches on each side--the truck also carries your luggage--if your room is close in there won't be the truck ride--Hey---maybe they no longer do that.

Have fun

We normally go to Bora Bora and stay at Le Moana for a few days before the cruise then back to Papeete--Those small planes Air Tahiti--are no inexpensive--also you wood be limited to the amount of luggage you would be able to take normally--we leave our luggage across the street from the airport at the flower shop--just take a small bag to Bora Bora---Moorea is less expensive for transportation and is only a few miles from the ship--maybe 10 miles at the most---no need for air flight.

Nancy

Which do you think would be the best vacation? I am looking into crusing to the south pacific, it might be a once in a lifetime thing, I am so confused as to where I should really focus my attention, New Zealand, French Polynesia, or from Hawaii. Any information would help.

Which do you think would be the best vacation? I am looking into crusing to the south pacific, it might be a once in a lifetime thing, I am so confused as to where I should really focus my attention, New Zealand, French Polynesia, or from Hawaii. Any information would help.

Guess it depends on whether you've been to any of these places and what you are looking for---All three are very different in my mind--French Polynesia is my favorite--although will be in Hawaii for ten days at the end of this month--

New Zealand is much more seasonal

After you go to French Polynesia you'll say "Hawaii who"

I've been to all three. FP is my favorite, however, if you like mountains you would love New Zealand.

Hawaii is nice but it doesn't compare to FP ....... not even close

Have stayed in all the types of rooms. Panoramic view indeed the nicest. the farthest OWB are really nice too though but IMHO not worth the extra $$$. That being said, I have been upgraded to them twice for simply having Platinum Priority Club membership. $100 a year - I think more the first year. Last time I was upgraded for two days and I had booked FREE nights though my membership using points. I always book the cheapest room when I pay and I am automatically upgraded to the Panoramic view room. My next stay soon I have already been upgraded according to the website. By the way - for the $100 a year you also get a weekend free night certificate good anywhere in the world - stay a Fri or Sat night and get the 2nd night free. Going one step further - get the Priority Rewards Visa card and for $49 a year you can stay one night free anywhere - I am using my night this year at the IC Thalasso Bora Bora - a $900 per night hotel.

Have stayed in all the types of rooms. Panoramic view indeed the nicest. the farthest OWB are really nice too though but IMHO not worth the extra $$$. That being said, I have been upgraded to them twice for simply having Platinum Priority Club membership. $100 a year - I think more the first year. Last time I was upgraded for two days and I had booked FREE nights though my membership using points. I always book the cheapest room when I pay and I am automatically upgraded to the Panoramic view room. My next stay soon I have already been upgraded according to the website. By the way - for the $100 a year you also get a weekend free night certificate good anywhere in the world - stay a Fri or Sat night and get the 2nd night free. Going one step further - get the Priority Rewards Visa card and for $49 a year you can stay one night free anywhere - I am using my night this year at the IC Thalasso Bora Bora - a $900 per night hotel.

We also use the membership--wouldn't be without it now--sometimes we each have a membership depending on the way we will use them--They have been very good for our use of the Le Moana OWB for a few days pre cruise on Bora Bora--of course for the IC Tahiti also. I wouldn't want to pay for the OWB at IC Tahiti--we have also been up-graded to them.

Nancy:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking to stay here two nights pre-cruise in January 2014. We recently obtained the PC Chase Visa, automatically making us Platinum Elite level. Are you saying that had we not applied for the Visa, it would have cost us $100 to join Platinum Priority Club? Or are you speaking of the Ambassador Club w/IC, which i thought was a $200 membership?

Whatever the case, we received 60,000 points in the program by obtaining the Visa card. We can use our points + $70 per night to book a lower entry room for our January 2014 stay. We've been trying to decide whether or not to book w/points or just book a paid stay in a Panoramic room which we'd prefer. But after reading your posts, would you suggest we gamble and book the lower room w/points and hope for an upgrade given we are Platinum Elite status?

Actually the initial charge for elite status is $200 and now $150 each additional year - it is different than the credit card in that once a year you get a weekend stay free one night certificate.

Yes after your first year and the $49 yearly fee on the credit card you get a free night but this is also a great perk if you can use it. I have used these in Rome, Paris and Moorea - each time getting a $450+ night free. Also we had gotten this long before the card - only got the card when I was offered 80,000 points to get the card. My wife and I both did this. Got 4 nights free in Rome last year before they raised the level from 40,000 to 50,000. Nit a bad deal!

Actually the initial charge for elite status is $200 and now $150 each additional year - it is different than the credit card in that once a year you get a weekend stay free one night certificate.

Okay, so what you paid to join sounds like the Ambassador Club, right?

http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/ambassador

So two questions!

1. Since we're already Platinum Elite members through the Visa card, and get the annual free night, if we also join the Ambassador Club, will we also be able to get the weekend stay free one night certificate?

2. If we decide not to join the Ambassador Club, what's your gut feeling about our reserving the garden level room in Tahiti for two nights using our points? Do you think our Platinum status would get us upgraded to panoramic view? (I know there are no guarantees -- just feeling you out!)

Thanks again for all your info -- very helpful.

I have Platinum status - not Ambassador club - and was "upgraded" to a panoramic room which doesn't say much since most of the people I knew had the same room. But I did get to use the faster check-in line... again, not a huge bonus. I may go for the Ambassador club since we are starting to use IHG properties more now that Hilton has devalued their program.

I have Platinum status - not Ambassador club - and was "upgraded" to a panoramic room which doesn't say much since most of the people I knew had the same room. But I did get to use the faster check-in line... again, not a huge bonus. I may go for the Ambassador club since we are starting to use IHG properties more now that Hilton has devalued their program.

Thanks. We also don't use IHG all that much, either, which is why I'm trying to decide whether or not to join the Ambassador Club. Maybe i should be content with Platinum stats that comes with the Chase Visa card and be happy!

Ambassador club at the IC has gotten me upgrades to Panoramic view room 4 times, motu bungalow once an the King Suite for three nights last year! I always pay for the cheapest room. Last year I used the certificate and one of the nights was free and they still upgraded me. With late check out it was like 4 nights and I had paid for two. I also have gotten check out as late as 6pm. I don't feel using points for this property is worth it. Save the points for a much more expensive property. I am using my free night this year at the more expensive of the Bora Bora IC the first night of out cruise overnight there, normally an $900 a night room.

Joining the ambassador club is worth it if you will use the certificate. You also get 5000 points but is not worth too much.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived