Radience of the Seas Alaska

Hi avid cruisers, have always cruised to Carribbean......South, West, East, Bahamas, but never to Alaska.

Just booked for DW and I, and 6 more family, no little ones, kids and their spouses aged 20-30. What do you suggest for meal times? DW wants to know about dress, any formal? Any must do's?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Eddie Wilson

Alaska is the most beautiful place. You will love this cruise. My family ages 27-63 went on this trip June 2011. We loved it. Our favorite cruise (next to Europe/Egypt) hands down. We were celebrating a 60th birthday so we did dress up one night. The rest of the time we had on shorts, hiking pants, light jackets and hiking/walking shoes. Bring extra memory cards and a book to read. If you have a balcony room (this of all cruises deserves a balcony) then get ready for splendid views right outside your window.

"The other half of a DINK and proud."

I just completed the NB cruise last week.

I went for the late seating for dinner for the following reasons:

1. I would have selected this time wherever I was cruising as we never eat early at home anyway.

2. I do not want to have to rush back to the ship and get ready for dinner when I am having fun in the port. By having the late seating I get to enjoy the full port days.

3. In terms of formal nights, they were on day 2 and day 6. The one night where we had a late port day (Juneau leaving at 8:30pm) they had a casual dress code in the MDR so we could get back on board and go straight for dinner. Other than formal nights, day one and the day in Juneau were casual and the other days smart-casual. I wore nice Jeans and a nice shirt, and did not feel out of place at all. (I would not go in torn jeans)

4. All other ports we left quite early so you could get back and have time to get ready if you prefer early sitting. (Contradicting my point 2 above)

5. We ate in the MDR every night. I know many people on these forums dont do this, and eat in the windjammer and specialty restaurants. We love the MDR, and my kids often say that the dinners in the MDR were some of their best times on the ship. They are only 12, 10 and 7, so this is a good indication of how amazing the staff have been, entertaining my kids at dinner.

Thanks, we do have 2 balconies booked, and two standard outside.

I booked on WOW sale and now that I read CC threads I wonder if I received a credit for platinum status, well will worry about that one later.

Eddie Wilson

Eddie,

Alaska is one of my favorite places. Been there twice and just booked on Radiance for next July. I am doing one week before hand DYI.

Everyone has their preferences, but my must see/do in Alaska is: enjoy the beauty and wildlife and be in the outdoors be it ziplining, kayaking, or hiking. I REALLY liked Denali and Kenai Fjords wildlife tour(in Seward). Next year, I am looking to get closer to the bears. And the moose. And the eagles. And the whales.

Look at the Alaska forum for what to wear for the weather. I love Royal Carribean because they don't enforce formal wear on formal nights. When I go to Alaska, I will be wearing jeans for dinner but that's my thing anyways.

Alaska is big and beautiful. Have a great trip.

Thanks, we do have 2 balconies booked, and two standard outside.

I booked on WOW sale and now that I read CC threads I wonder if I received a credit for platinum status, well will worry about that one later.

Eddie Wilson

C&A is not combinable with the WOW sale.

Archived