Cruise Critic Community
Algebralovr

How far in advance to contact Special Needs?

Hello all,

We are taking the family to Europe to celebrate graduation next summer (2014). Part of the reason for using a cruise ship is due to DD's severe food allergies.

I know that we need to contact special needs, and I know that while there are no guarantees, they will do their best to fix meals for her that she can eat.

Does anyone have a recommended time frame for this purpose? I realize that they may not pass the message and that we will probably need to go visit the dining room when we board the ship. We actually spoke to an Asst MD on our last cruise who assured us how it would all work, and we are comfortable with that, but know that it will be helpful for them to know she is coming.

We found that my own issue was best dealt with by me making ordering choices, but I don't have allergies.

Thanks!

Suggest contacting the Special Needs Dept now so that it can be placed in the booking records. Than following up again 45 -60 days prior to the cruise.

Yes, it would be best to contact them now. My TA sent me a form that I had to download and send to Special Needs Dept. A month before, I usually contact them to verify everything. Good luck and enjoy your cruise:):)

Hi! If you are cruising in June of 2014, you should call Special Needs by the end of April, 2014, We cruise with my daughter who has food issues. They need time to order items that they might not normally have on board. They will also arrange to meet with you at the first meal. No worries!!!

I sent them an email, and heard back already. luckily, she is pretty easy to please, eats normal food, just has to stay away from some things. Easy substitutes, like potato instead of rice, olive or corn or canola oil instead of soy. Since they didn't ask for a full list, I assume they expect all to be fine.

I sent them an email, and heard back already. luckily, she is pretty easy to please, eats normal food, just has to stay away from some things. Easy substitutes, like potato instead of rice, olive or corn or canola oil instead of soy. Since they didn't ask for a full list, I assume they expect all to be fine.

Don't assume anything ! Making certain your needs are addressed does NOT stop with just contacting the Special Needs Depts and having it noted in your booking. It's the passengers responsibility to than meet with the Matre'D once you've boarded to make certain that the dining staff is aware of the situation. If not after boarding at the very least once you've been seated in the dining room for dinner.

Breakfast and lunch is another issue all together as you will not have the same wait staff , nor may you be eating the MDR. You need to be constantly on guard when making food selections through out the day. Whether you're in buffet or other food venue their is generally always a Matre'D or Manager than can assist you with food selection. Also remember sauces are a hidden menace for anyone with food allergies as they often thickened with various combinations of starches. When in doubt always request no sauce.

When you board the ship go immediately to the main dining room and ask to speak with the Matre'd, he/she will be sure to note all special dietary needs for your daughter and he/she will notify your servers of same.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yep, we plan to head to the MDR as soon as we board. We also plan to print out allergen cards in multiple languages before we go, and laminate them to hand to everyone who might be involved.

We went to Disney World a little over a year ago, and they handled her allergies. Carnival was so-so and gave us a scare one night, but one taste and she knew there was a problem. Luckily, she responds well to antihistamines and always carries them in liquid form.

I know that breakfast and lunch will be the most challenging. She plans to take her own box of Cherrios with her, and I'm trying to teach her to speak up about her needs. She did survive 2 years in a college dorm, so I'm sure she will survive thus as well.

Now to count down. Less than a year!