First time in Bonaire

Gabrielle R.

What would you suggest to do in Bonaire? I love to Snorkel, my DH is very happy to sit on the boat. (imagine cat in the water- that's my DH, I'm the Labrador that loves the water.)

ANY Ideas that is a must do? OR check out? My 'only' complaint is that we are only in port from 7 AM-2PM.

So? What would you suggest?

THANKS!!

Thanks O Cruiser! How did you get to Spice Beach?

Any tour groups that anyone thought was outstanding, or something they liked?

I read somewhere that there are tour companies right outside where the ship is docked- any one try them? Good/outstanding tours that you have been on?

We were in Bonaire on New Year's Eve 2012 (great fireworks!!!) and were advised by a local to go to Spice Beach as it was the closest 'sandy' beach. It was a 25 mins walk north but obviously you could get a taxi there if you wished, but there was a lack of them there when we arrived which was probably due to the fact that it was a public holiday and we were only a small, insignificant ship. The beach was virtually all coral, however at the far end there were a couple of patches where we found enough sand to place our towels side by side. It was also the best place to enter the water bare foot and furthermore great for snorkelling. It became obvious throughout the day that this was where the local ex-pats went to snorkel.

We were in Bonaire on New Year's Eve 2012 (great fireworks!!!) and were advised by a local to go to Spice Beach as it was the closest 'sandy' beach. It was a 25 mins walk north but obviously you could get a taxi there if you wished, but there was a lack of them there when we arrived which was probably due to the fact that it was a public holiday and we were only a small, insignificant ship. The beach was virtually all coral, however at the far end there were a couple of patches where we found enough sand to place our towels side by side. It was also the best place to enter the water bare foot and furthermore great for snorkelling. It became obvious throughout the day that this was where the local ex-pats went to snorkel.

So, was this a good or bad experience? Did you 'wish' you had done something different?

Thanks!

It suited us fine but friends of ours managed to find a boat to take them over to Klein Bonaire, a small island about 1km away - apparently the snorkeling and pristine white beaches were spectacular. However, the downside was that the boat owner 'forgot' to pick them up and they were lucky to 'flag down' a passing boat to ferry them back to the mainland - fortunately our ship stayed there until 0200hrs to see in the New Year otherwise they wouldn't have been on it when i left!!!

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP, Klein would not be right for you (even though it's great for snorkeling!). You would be enjoying the sights under the water, while your husband would be on the beach roasting with nothing to do as there are no amenities whatsoever.

What would you suggest to do in Bonaire? I love to Snorkel, my DH is very happy to sit on the boat. (imagine cat in the water- that's my DH, I'm the Labrador that loves the water.)

ANY Ideas that is a must do? OR check out? My 'only' complaint is that we are only in port from 7 AM-2PM.

So? What would you suggest?

THANKS!!

I would suggest that you have a look at Woodwind tours, we joined a tour with them on their Catamaran. I tried snorkeling but panicked a bit and just enjoyed swimming and sitting on the boat.The rest of my family enjoyed it so much they were really hooked on snorkeling! We did a morning tour so you should have plenty of time, just really slap on the lotion or t-shirt the sun/water combination can be deadly.

Rosalyn

We were in Bonaire last year.

Bonaire is a small island. The beaches are narrow and full of coral. (For Curacao and Bonaire, sand is imported from Trinidad to restore their beaches.)

We went to a place called Eden Beach Resort. It wasn't much of a "resort" based on US standards; consisting of just a dive shop, bar, restaurants and bathrooms. The facilities were clean. Lounge chairs were available (either $5 or $10.. I don't remember) and there was ample shade if you arrived before noon.

This beach was popular with the cruise ship staff, many of whom showed up in the afternoon.

Snorkeling was excellent. The shallow water was loaded with marine life and was the clearest I have ever seen due to the reef so close to shore.

There is a short dock with steps leading to deeper water. Depending on the tide water depth can change abruptly.

Wear water-shoes because of coral chunks and jagged coral bottom.

Taxi fare was $6 for two people one-way.

I have to agree with the Woodwind snorkeling suggestion. Book this now! I think it would be a crime not to see what is under the water in Bonaire. The crew is very safety conscious. The waves were rough the day my DH and I were there and we were thinking of not going in the water. I am so glad we did. They take you in small groups according to your ability and experience. Woodwind all the way-- I wish I could go again tomorrow. We are non athletic seniors, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonaire has some of the BEST snorkeling! We used Woodwind Tours. They had fantastic service, food and drinks and made the trip fun for even those that didn't snorkel.

Snorkeling in Bonaire is very relaxing. You basically just float with the current and the catamaran stays with you.

WOODWIND is the very best in Bonaire!

• 6 months later...

We did the Semi-sub Aquaspace - it allows you to snorkel as well as get a great underwater view from its submersible pod as you cruise around the reef. Then you have the option of snorkeling as well. Ed and Babbette are wonderful tour guides. They also provide a light lunch and snacks as well as wine. I highly recommend this is one of you snorkels and one doesn't as you would both have a great experience and get to enjoy a relaxing sail as well as snorkeling and the reef. We booked through our cruiseline, but you can find them on line

We LOVED Woodwind! Dee & Ulf will take care of you! You can Google Woodwind of Bonaire..... OR woodwindbonaire dot com and get to where you need to be.

I really recommend this tour Two great dive sites. Great staff. Just loved Bonaire!!!

Enjoy what ever you decide!