Cruise Critic Community
BocaRoo

Quick TransAtlantic Cabin Question!

A friend who is considering a west-bound transatlantic cruise on an S-Class ship has asked me to post a question. He understands that traveling west-bound, a port-side cabin will get more sun. While he doesn't want to roast, he doesn't want total shade all day! The question: Will a starboard-side cabin get any sun at all?

My husband and I have sailed in port-side cabins on our two west-bound TAs, specifically for the sun in the afternoon, so we can't answer our friend's question. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jill

Of course you will get some sun on the starboard side! The reason people think port side gets more sun is because the cruises are in the fall and the sun is therefore angled more from the south, but it's mostly overhead, so no worries that he would be in the shade all the time. :)

Unless of course it's cloudy all the time the whole way, in which case starboard side would always be shady too. :)

Edited by bottomfeeder

In the fall, around the time of the autumnal equinox the sun is located around the equator. Sailing Northeast to Southwest, the port side will get morning sun, the starboard side will get afternoon sun. That is if my science classes weren't a complete waste of time.

A friend who is considering a west-bound transatlantic cruise on an S-Class ship has asked me to post a question. He understands that traveling west-bound, a port-side cabin will get more sun. While he doesn't want to roast, he doesn't want total shade all day! The question: Will a starboard-side cabin get any sun at all?

My husband and I have sailed in port-side cabins on our two west-bound TAs, specifically for the sun in the afternoon, so we can't answer our friend's question. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jill

Consider starboard side in AQ in shade under the Pool overhang - Cabin numbers 1560 to 1590 - No sun until early evening - Enjoy the Spa and BLU.

Our friends had a cabin on the less sunny side, in fact they had no sun at all for most of the voyage, whilst we had sun all day long.

I would go with the sunny side, maybe in an Aqua class cabin as they have the overhang.

Personally we loved the sun, you can always cover up.

Our friends had a cabin on the less sunny side, in fact they had no sun at all for most of the voyage, whilst we had sun all day long.

I would go with the sunny side, maybe in an Aqua class cabin as they have the overhang.

Personally we loved the sun, you can always cover up.

The Spa has a Sun deck with/without shade

In the fall, around the time of the autumnal equinox the sun is located around the equator. Sailing Northeast to Southwest, the port side will get morning sun, the starboard side will get afternoon sun. That is if my science classes weren't a complete waste of time.

Yes but isn't the autumnal equinox in September? Most transatlantic cruises are in late November, so the sun would be more to the south by then...unless I've forgotten my science classes, which is a distinct possibility since I get increasingly forgetful every year! :)

All I can say to the poster who said their friends got no sun on the "non-sunny" side of the ship is, speaking from personal experience of a fall westbound transatlantic last fall in a starboard-side cabin...I had sun on my balcony. It was, I expect, less sunny than a port-side cabin but it was not sunless by any means.

And I also was on a spring eastbound transatlantic this spring in a port-side cabin (so, north-facing unless I've forgotten which way is port and which way starboard!) I also had sun on my balcony. Perhaps your friends had a cabin underneath the large overhang?

Made the mistake of having a starboard cabin on our TA to the US and we only got sun very late in the afternoon

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I will refer our friend to this thread so he can make up his own mind!

Happy sailing to all,

Jill

We just did an East bound TA from FLL to Harwich, UK and had a port side cabin, which go very little sun until the last few days of the cruise.

At first we were going more East than NE, however, after the Azores, our route was more NE, so we did get some afternoon sun.

If you are on a West bound TA and want sun, go for a port cabin, East bound, starboard. We had a guarantee cabin, saved money, got less sun.

We changed from port to starboard for our westbound TA because we wanted to avoid being over the smoking area. We expect to get less sun, but smoke would prevent us using our balcony anyway.

Sheila

We are one floor down from the big overhang on the Port side for our upcoming TA in November. To me Port side is the way to go.