23 Sept 2013 - Hawaiian Solstice - LOSE 2 CRUISE.

MicCanberra

Well done bill who lost his initial gain now and really well done Pat for a huge effort.

Rosie and I must be toning up and losing girth (my jeans are loser) rather than weight as we have done pretty much the same as the previous week (bar Saturday night's dinner), but both managed to gain some weight.

Anyway, the body does take some time to adjust from time to time.

CC Name.......Loss (this week)....Total loss (since 1 June 2013)

MicCanberra..........................-0.5kg........ ........................1.4Kg(3.1lbs);

RosieCanberra......................-0.7kg.......... ......................1.1kgs(2.4lbs);

WV4891...............................3.5lbs....... .. ..........................3lbs (1.37kgs);

Bagelme...............................4.5lbs........ ..........................10.5lbs (4.7kgs);

Chefcaw...............................1.5lbs...... .. ...........................1.5lbs (0.7kgs);

Gumbypee............................3lbs......... ..........................2lbs (0.9kgs);

Spinnychick..........................1.5lbs....... .. ..........................2lbs (0.9kgs);

Betzjohn..............................5lbs........ ...........................2lbs (0.9kgs);

Marsda.................................1lbs....... ............................2.6lbs (1.2kgs);

Circman52............................0lbs....... .. ..........................0.1lbs (0.05kgs);

Scrappytraveller....................0lbs.......... .........................0lbs (0kgs);

NZbelle................................0kg....... .............................0kgs (0lbs);

JWooooo..............................0lbs......... ...........................0lbs (0kgs);

Good luck everyone

cheers mic :D

Edited by MicCanberra

Well done bill and pat! :)

I do think it helps to cut down on carbs - that being said I'm having linguini tonight :0

At least it's a good one, lots of tomato and spices.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey, no problem with the pasta. I've been picking my battles with carbs. If a baked potato or a pasta is sounding good once in a while, that's ok. And soon it will be corn season here Big Time. It's the SUGAR that I'm trying to stay clear of.....for now ;) You won't be seeing me pass up many souffles or creme bulees onboard the ship!!

Pat

Hey, no problem with the pasta. I've been picking my battles with carbs. If a baked potato or a pasta is sounding good once in a while, that's ok. And soon it will be corn season here Big Time. It's the SUGAR that I'm trying to stay clear of.....for now ;) You won't be seeing me pass up many souffles or creme bulees onboard the ship!!

Pat

And Don't forget the Hula pie in Hawaii. :D

No Sir - you can put money on that! Chocolate and Coconut? They should have a drink called that onboard! Or do they!?! :eek:

Pat

Just ask for a 'Choconut Connection' and see what they say!!!:D

Chocolate syrup, 30 ml Malibu, 30ml Frangelico, 200ml Milk, Ice blended and then topped with whipped double cream and choc powder. poured into a half coconut shell and with a little umbrella and Pineapple ring for garnish.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I think, like everyone, having fewer carbs and starches and less alcohol is key to success. I, unlike some of you, am trying to maintain my weight and tone up. I have a chronic illness that leaves me underweight as my body doesn't properly absorb things. I lost a huge amount of weight very quickly and am left with a lot of saggy wrinkly patches that really bother me. That being said, I am trying to amp up daily rides on the stationary bike and also do crunches and some arm and leg work with weights. So my Monday morning report is a total of 6 pounds lost now, but was sick last week.

I think, like everyone, having fewer carbs and starches and less alcohol is key to success. I, unlike some of you, am trying to maintain my weight and tone up. I have a chronic illness that leaves me underweight as my body doesn't properly absorb things. I lost a huge amount of weight very quickly and am left with a lot of saggy wrinkly patches that really bother me. That being said, I am trying to amp up daily rides on the stationary bike and also do crunches and some arm and leg work with weights. So my Monday morning report is a total of 6 pounds lost now, but was sick last week.

Well now I don't know if I should say well done or not. Hope you have recovered.

MicCanberra..........................-0.5kg........ ........................1.4Kg(3.1lbs);

RosieCanberra......................-0.7kg.......... ......................1.1kgs(2.4lbs);

WV4891...............................3.5lbs....... .. ..........................3lbs (1.37kgs);

Bagelme...............................4.5lbs...... .. ..........................10.5lbs (4.7kgs);

Spinnychick..........................4.5lbs....... .. ..........................6lbs (2.7kgs);

Chefcaw...............................1.5lbs...... .. ...........................1.5lbs (0.7kgs);

Gumbypee............................3lbs......... ..........................2lbs (0.9kgs);

Betzjohn..............................5lbs........ ...........................2lbs (0.9kgs);

Marsda.................................1lbs....... ............................2.6lbs (1.2kgs);

Circman52............................0lbs....... .. ..........................0.1lbs (0.05kgs);

Scrappytraveller....................0lbs.......... .........................0lbs (0kgs);

NZbelle................................0kg....... .............................0kgs (0lbs);

JWooooo..............................0lbs......... ...........................0lbs (0kgs);

Good luck everyone

Edited by MicCanberra

Ok. Folks seem to be getting into this forum. I like that! So this is my story. I was morbidly obese for years. Close to 300 lbs but never quite hit that weight. I tried every diet imaginable. Lost weight. But gained more back every time. I finally got frightened enough to seek serious medical help. Although all of the Drs and weight loss therapists I had seen previously seemed serious enough to me. I was working as an RN in the local hospital. I'm pretty scientific. I thought of myself as rather intelligent. And I was frustrated as heck over the fact that this one ISSUE in my life was impossible for me to figure out. So I went to a Bariatric Surgeon. I was not going to have a gastric bypass bc I have taken care of those surgical patients and I just didn't want to go that route. I decided on a Lapland. I had mine placed in sept 2008. I have lost almost 100 lbs. Over the last year I think I've hit my "stable weight". I'm happy with my progress and I guess I look OK. MY Drs and my hubby are extremely happy. But I still border on being obese. Better than morbidly obese but I'd like to lose 15 more lbs. I eat like a "Bandster". High protein. A few veggies. No salad - it gets stuck. And hardly ever any pasta bread rice or potatoes. I can only eat a cup or so of food at a time. None of that bothers me. I work out 3-4 times a week on an elliptical for 60 mins and do weight machines for my arms. BUT I love my wine. Anyway I've rambled enough. I joined L2C to see if I can shed this stubborn last 15 lbs. if I do then great. Bit if not I'm still OK. But I enjoy hearing all of your stories. Good luck to all!

I lost one more lb this week. And put the Cruise Critic App on my iPhone. I hope this works!

Well done.

Ok. Folks seem to be getting into this forum. I like that! So this is my story. I was morbidly obese for years. Close to 300 lbs but never quite hit that weight. I tried every diet imaginable. Lost weight. But gained more back every time. I finally got frightened enough to seek serious medical help. Although all of the Drs and weight loss therapists I had seen previously seemed serious enough to me. I was working as an RN in the local hospital. I'm pretty scientific. I thought of myself as rather intelligent. And I was frustrated as heck over the fact that this one ISSUE in my life was impossible for me to figure out. So I went to a Bariatric Surgeon. I was not going to have a gastric bypass bc I have taken care of those surgical patients and I just didn't want to go that route. I decided on a Lapland. I had mine placed in sept 2008. I have lost almost 100 lbs. Over the last year I think I've hit my "stable weight". I'm happy with my progress and I guess I look OK. MY Drs and my hubby are extremely happy. But I still border on being obese. Better than morbidly obese but I'd like to lose 15 more lbs. I eat like a "Bandster". High protein. A few veggies. No salad - it gets stuck. And hardly ever any pasta bread rice or potatoes. I can only eat a cup or so of food at a time. None of that bothers me. I work out 3-4 times a week on an elliptical for 60 mins and do weight machines for my arms. BUT I love my wine. Anyway I've rambled enough. I joined L2C to see if I can shed this stubborn last 15 lbs. if I do then great. Bit if not I'm still OK. But I enjoy hearing all of your stories. Good luck to all!

Thanks for sharing, I do hope you realise that goal. You are certainly well on the way to getting there with one pound per week.:D

WV4891...............................3.5lbs....... .. ..........................3lbs (1.3kgs);

Bagelme...............................4.5lbs...... .. ..........................10.5lbs (4.7kgs);

Spinnychick..........................4.5lbs....... .. ..........................6lbs (2.7kgs);

Betzjohn..............................1lbs........ ...........................3lbs (1.3kgs);

Good luck everyone

You've already been on quite a weight loss journey and it sounds like your mind is in a good place. I'm struggling with keeping my spirits up because my weight loss is painstakingly slow. It helps to concentrate on how my clothes are fitting differently.

That being said, my official weigh in for this week is a loss of .2 lbs <sigh> But it's still a loss. I feel good, however, that I got in my one hour treadmill workouts 3 times this week, plus I swam laps in the pool on 2 different afternoons (30 min each time). I anticipate challenges this coming week....we will be in Dallas from Wed thru Saturday in the Omni Hotel. I know they have a good workout facility there, so I'm making plans to stay on track as best I can.

You've already been on quite a weight loss journey and it sounds like your mind is in a good place. I'm struggling with keeping my spirits up because my weight loss is painstakingly slow. It helps to concentrate on how my clothes are fitting differently.

That being said, my official weigh in for this week is a loss of .2 lbs <sigh> But it's still a loss. I feel good, however, that I got in my one hour treadmill workouts 3 times this week, plus I swam laps in the pool on 2 different afternoons (30 min each time). I anticipate challenges this coming week....we will be in Dallas from Wed thru Saturday in the Omni Hotel. I know they have a good workout facility there, so I'm making plans to stay on track as best I can.

Good luck in Dallas, when I was there last, I did not lose any weight.:D

Is there any truth to the saying muscle weighs more than fat? Like if we work out and gain muscle tone and lose fat we don't lose weight and that's okay?

Good muscle tone is always preferred in my book....but the saying muscle weighs more than fat is not accurate. A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle....a pound is a pound.

It's so nice to see everyone supporting each other! Everybody has a different and interesting situation, and we can all learn from each other. It sounds like everyone is working very hard on their own personal goals, whatever they might be....which is terrific.

Pat :)

Is there any truth to the saying muscle weighs more than fat? Like if we work out and gain muscle tone and lose fat we don't lose weight and that's okay?

Yes, toning up is preferable to weight loss.

Good muscle tone is always preferred in my book....but the saying muscle weighs more than fat is not accurate. A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle....a pound is a pound.

You are right in saying that a pound (of muscle) is a pound (of fat), but the saying is actually referring to mass not weight.

E.G, - someone with a 36 inch waste weighs so much and they lose 2 inchs off their waste line, it does not necessarily convert to a weight loss and may actually be a weight gain, but they sure have toned up.:D

In my Lose 2 Cruise cycle, I tend to lose weight and then stabalise and may even gain some again, all while dropping belly size (belt holes).:D

When my sister started walking her dog about an hour per day, everybody kept telling her she was losing weight but she said her weight had not really changed. I found it really hard to believe - until I got my dog and started doing the same. I saw a big change, even before I started trying to lose weight. Not really on the scale, but in how my clothes fit. I wouldn't call it muscle, can't really explain it. Anyway, just wanted to add to the discussion, it's not all about the number on the scale.

When my sister started walking her dog about an hour per day, everybody kept telling her she was losing weight but she said her weight had not really changed. I found it really hard to believe - until I got my dog and started doing the same. I saw a big change, even before I started trying to lose weight. Not really on the scale, but in how my clothes fit. I wouldn't call it muscle, can't really explain it. Anyway, just wanted to add to the discussion, it's not all about the number on the scale.

Exactly, it is how the clothes fit.:D

Does anyone else "outgrow" clothes on the cruise? Like the gown I wear on the first formal night doesn't fit by the end lol.

I have never been able to fit into any gowns on a cruise.:D

My T-shirts do become muscle shirts though.:rolleyes:

Hahaha, yes! I definitely wear my dresses in order of tightness, and I have a pair of shorts I love that can get uncomfortable by the end because they're a bit too tight to begin with. Hence the participation in this group!

I've been lucky so far on my cruises though, never gained more than 2-3 lbs. I take the stairs as much as possible (helps that I'm not a fan of cramped closed-in spaces) and try to resist the bread basket and the fried stuff in the buffet. Not completely, but keep it reasonable.

Hahaha, yes! I definitely wear my dresses in order of tightness, and I have a pair of shorts I love that can get uncomfortable by the end because they're a bit too tight to begin with. Hence the participation in this group!

I've been lucky so far on my cruises though, never gained more than 2-3 lbs. I take the stairs as much as possible (helps that I'm not a fan of cramped closed-in spaces) and try to resist the bread basket and the fried stuff in the buffet. Not completely, but keep it reasonable.

I like to avoid the lifts as well, not just for the fitness when using the stairs but waiting times can be quite long. Also there are all sorts of germs in lifts. I did find it funny one morning when I went off to get coffees and danishs from Al Baccio, I used the stairs both ways (7th - 5th floor) and lady was still standing at the forward lifts on my return. I asked if she was Ok and she said that she didn't know which lift to take to the buffet. I said the rear or the central lifts to the 14th floor would do the trick.:D

I can totally relate to this, Julie. I have a really nice outfit that I want to wear on the first formal night.....after that, not sure it would fit later in the trip....:eek:

Pat

I think I need a dog.....our 3 cats don't do the walkin' thing!

Pat