Cruise Critic Community
TN56

:-( NCL Gem 6/1 - 6/8 gluten and special needs review

This whole thing just sounds so amazingly high maintenance. Why didn't you seek out the dining manager every time as you were supposed to? If a bug bite was truly that bad wouldn't you have needed to see a Dr? This just sounds a touch over dramatic.

Not only did they not get the pizza immediately upon asking, but NCL had the nerve to offer to make her a fresh pizza instead of keeping slices under heat lamps waiting for a gluten-free request. The horror!

On my last cruise, when there was no cheese pizza ready, I probably should have started crying and maybe I would have gotten a free dinner or bottle of wine.

I usually print the reviews and enjoy reading them over lunch; just read this one today.

Am I the only one that doesn't think this review is for real? I really don't think someone would be sobbing because they didn't get a pizza or got a bug bite or there was some sort of smell.

I'm also thinking that if it is true, maybe with this many dietary restrictions a vacation where one can do their own cooking might be the way to go.

The review is for real. There were some family members here yesterday upset with what had been posted about the OP. The moderator deleted several posts.

Am I the only one that REALLY enjoyed this review? It gets my vote for review of the week. While the OP probably did not intend the review to be funny, I found it extremely entertaining. Not making fun of the OP but to have 3 sisters each with their own very specific diet cruise together sounds like a comedy reality show just from the beginning. It is light hearted and at times felt sympathy for the OP when her nails got ruined in the shower, the flooding bathroom, sewage smell, and the bug bite. You could never make that stuff up.

But the most important thing I got from the review (and it was NOT the intent of the OP) was how hard NCL tried to accomadate all of the requests. And when they failed, there was a free dinner, free drinks, or a spa refund. IMO, the review makes the NCL staff of the Gem shine like a true Gem.

I wish the OP the best and wish she would try the Epic out of Miami. The ship is much better to accomadate a disabled person. Plus she loved the spa on Gem and the Epic spa is the biggest at sea.

For all of the reaons I mentioned above, this gets my vote for review of the week. It also makes coming here to CC enjoyable. After awhile those stale and predictable reviews get boring. This review is not boring ;)

Also if you read between the lines, the OP mentions how much she loves cruising and tried to get her sister hooked who had never cruised before. I think her expectations were high and just from the start things did not go as planned (as sometimes happens).

Edited by david_sobe

For all of the reaons I mentioned above, this gets my vote for review of the week. It also makes coming here to CC enjoyable. After awhile those stale and predictable reviews get boring. This review is not boring ;)

LOL, I agree. I read most of it to my DH so he could also enjoy it. Too bad they never found the wheelchair seating on both Deck 6 and Deck 7 for the shows. A little research and simply reading the Freestyle Daily could have made their entire vacation more enjoyable.

This reminds me of another pair of sisters on one of my cruises. I wonder if it was them and they brought another sister with them this time???? :rolleyes:

The review is for real. There were some family members here yesterday upset with what had been posted about the OP. The moderator deleted several posts.

Am I the only one that REALLY enjoyed this review? It gets my vote for review of the week. While the OP probably did not intend the review to be funny, I found it extremely entertaining. Not making fun of the OP but to have 3 sisters each with their own very specific diet cruise together sounds like a comedy reality show just from the beginning. It is light hearted and at times felt sympathy for the OP when her nails got ruined in the shower, the flooding bathroom, sewage smell, and the bug bite. You could never make that stuff up.

But the most important thing I got from the review (and it was NOT the intent of the OP) was how hard NCL tried to accomadate all of the requests. And when they failed, there was a free dinner, free drinks, or a spa refund. IMO, the review makes the NCL staff of the Gem shine like a true Gem.

I wish the OP the best and wish she would try the Epic out of Miami. The ship is much better to accomadate a disabled person. Plus she loved the spa on Gem and the Epic spa is the biggest at sea.

Also if you read between the lines, the OP mentions how much she loves cruising and tried to get her sister hooked who had never cruised before. I think her expectations were high and just from the start things did not go as planned (as sometimes happens).

I too was very, very impressed on how NCL tried to make everything right. Unless someone posts what the NCl staff does over and above, it is very hard for some of us who are not high maintenance to really see what lengths the staff goes to make sure every guest has a great experience. I'm just happy to be sailing and have a comfortable bed to sleep in. I'm sure in this instance, it was a very difficult task for the staff, but it looks to me like they did everything they could to make things right.

Just shows that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.;) I, too, am very impressed with how NCL did everything they could to "right" any complaaa, um, issue the OP had. Speaks volumes for NCL.:) I will give the OP credit for bringing things to the attention of the crew while on the cruise and not waiting to come back afterwards and crab here.

I also enjoyed this review immensely! Someone should forward a transcript to the execs at one of the networks to consider for a reality show. Anyone ever watched the Golden Sisters on OWN? These ladies could give them a run for their money! Did I understand correctly that one of them sleeps hanging upside down?? You ladies would be a hoot to cruise with!

And really, it does prove how NCL bends over backward to please people. It seems to me that if the OP were really honest, she enjoyed more things about this cruise than she disliked.

When I went on the Gem a month ago I thought the food was excellent. I always ate at the main buffet, and the buffet at the rear of the ship, and I could think of plenty of things they offered that were gluten free. I could offer a lot of criticism of your review, but I will leave it at that because I want to defend the Gem and their wide variety of what was in my opinion, excellent food (at the buffet, that is.).

Edited by apexigsx

Please pre warn and advise if you change your mind in regards to NCL. There is nothing I would like less than being anywhere near people who are so obviously ungrateful for all the help that was continually given when either a tantrum or tears were shown.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was so put off by this review that I had to stop reading it yesterday. I'm the person who cleans the cabin and makes the bed before letting the steward in. I go above and beyond to show appreciation to crew members who do the same.

Even though I prefer Carnival to NCL (nothing personal - I just do), I appreciate all the people who tried to do everything they could to get the poster what she and her sisters needed. We don't have any dietary restrictions in our family (although my daughter says they can never have enough bacon to satisfy her) but I'm amazed at how much food was prepped just for them.

Our eldest works BOH at a restaurant. When they have someone with needs like this come in, a cook has to go to a tiny kitchen in the basement to make their meal so as not to have issues with cross contamination.

There are thousands of people on the ship to cook for and these people got cakes and breads and specialty entrees. I hope at some time they realize what excellent service they got.

I think a vacation is what you make of it. I hope their next one is better for all involved.

I have to say I enjoyed reading this review as well. I do have a question, what happened with getting the free laundry. I missed that part. And she did mention her phone "taking a bath." Did the phone get sent with the laundry?

All I can say is......"wow"

I always thought that if you had special dietary needs (such as gluten free) you would have "special meals" available in the MDR. Period.

I did not know it extended to pizza, room service, buffet....all the venues.

I've never "seen" such high maintenance people.

I especially like the part where she got a refund on her manicure because she messed it up.

And yes....I think NCL went above and beyond to accommodate.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

I hope at some time they realize what excellent service they got.

Thats the problem, they never will. "High Maintenance" Is right. How many times can someone mention "Walking stick and wheelchair" in one review?

I would think it would be very difficult to cater to 3 women with very different dietary needs and get it right even most of the time. I don't doubt that the review is real, nor that the women all feel slighted at the very least. Personally, if I were one of the three, I'd stick to not traveling together - because it's almost like tempting fate if they do.

There are different lines and they have different "personalities". Our family didn't care for RCCL but it does come in above some others in our experiences. I'm fine with someone liking another line better and sticking to that line. While we prefer NCL and X, we will jump ship for itinerary and just know that not all lines are the same, though they really are more alike than most will admit.

I couldn't even make it through Day 2. Passengers like the OP are the reason why I could never work in the service industry. After 2 days of trying to please the unpleasant, I'd throw myself overboard!

I'm looking forward to our first sailing on NCL. I'm not going to let this review dim that feeling for me.

My family has sailed the gem and other NCL ships about a dozen times. We have 2 gluten free in our family ( me included) as well and have always had plenty to eat and great service. The pizza in the buffet does take 10 mins..not 30. They have to get a gluten free crust from the freezer and top and bake the pizza so it does take a little extra time. But you're eating gluten free pizza on a cruise ship! And it's GOOD! In many mid-size cities you will be hard pressed to find decent gluten free pizza.

I just don't want other people who require a gluten free diet to be scared off by your review. My family is proof that NCL does gluten free and they do it spectacularly.

I won't even go into the amazing service NCL gave you trying to make things right the whole week because I think david_sobe said it best.

My granddaughter, 5 years old, has a gluten allergy and a tree nut allergy. When we cruise as a multi-generational group, her Mom tells NCL upon booking that she has allergies. Then, upon boarding, goes to the guest services and they call a chef or someone with a chef hat. He discusses her issues and what foods her parents want for her. We do have to tell them ahead of time where we will be eating and her food is ordered and prepared for her.

This has been our experience on 2 Alaska cruises on the Star both times. They couldn't have been more accommodating. Often a chef would come out to see if the kid liked her meal and make sure it was prepared properly. Couldn't have been better.

This whole thing just sounds so amazingly high maintenance. Why didn't you seek out the dining manager every time as you were supposed to? If a bug bite was truly that bad wouldn't you have needed to see a Dr? This just sounds a touch over dramatic.

My thoughts exactly

I couldn't even make it through Day 2. Passengers like the OP are the reason why I could never work in the service industry. After 2 days of trying to please the unpleasant, I'd throw myself overboard!

I'm looking forward to our first sailing on NCL. I'm not going to let this review dim that feeling for me.

Don't i've been sailing on NCL my entire life and i've always loved it, there's truly something for everyone.... you made it one day longer than i did into the review :D

I travel with my mom who is confined to a wheelchair.

I am not a NCL cheerleader as we cruise with many cruise lines. I think NCL tried to help you a great deal. We never got such personal service like you did, however we are not hard to please.

We have found handicapped cabin showers always flood.

I just don't understand screaming and crying over a bug bite. Goodness, don't ever try a bone marrow biopsy.

I was on the same cruise as the OP. We had a very quick embarcation. We ate most nights in the specialties, but breakfast and lunch at the complimentries. We found the food good to great all around. Though I did not care for the bacons taste. Buffett food was like on any other ship I have sailed. Good not great. I think we saw the OP in the blue Lagoon one morning, they had a problem with eggs. One wanted an egg white omlet and another had her sunny side up egg sent back to have more firm whites.

I am sorry that she did not enjoy herself. We though did, and have booked another NCL vacation for next May. I think it says something for NCL that I choose them over other affordable cruise lines (RCCL, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity and Princess). They delivered a great vacation at a competative price with what I would say is awesome service.

Also. We were all over that ship and never saw an elevator out of service, unless it was a very temporary one we never noticed.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I just got off the Gem yesterday. Embarkation was a breeze and the food was better than ever. We met a man who was on a sodium-free diet; he called NCL pre-cruise and once onboard met a nutritionist who helped him plan his meals. Each night, they would look at the next day's menu together and plan a selection for him. Of course, his meals were in a dining room, not poolside or the buffet - to expect special needs to be easily/quickly met in these places is really unreasonable.

I just got off the Gem yesterday. Embarkation was a breeze and the food was better than ever. We met a man who was on a sodium-free diet; he called NCL pre-cruise and once onboard met a nutritionist who helped him plan his meals. Each night, they would look at the next day's menu together and plan a selection for him. Of course, his meals were in a dining room, not poolside or the buffet - to expect special needs to be easily/quickly met in these places is really unreasonable.

I also got off the Gem Yesterday. I am the man with the restricted low sodium diet. If you have a medical condition and want to go on a cruise you have to do your homework, do some research before you cruise. I called NCL 2 week before the cruise informed them of my condition . I was assigned a nutritionist (Jeph Agustin) Every night after dinner Jeph would meet and planned my meal for the next day. I did have some meal poolside & the buffet. I understand your frustration. If NCL would have know in advance of your condition especially the gluten-free diet. I'm sure your cruise would have been different. You cannot expect miracle if you don't advise the cruise company that you a special condition. I did and I will never forget how NCL took care of me. I had a great time met some great people who cared . I never had a bad meal if there was something that the chef could not do Jeph would call and would give some suggestion to replace the meal. An example I wanted the crab salad one night, the chef explained to Jeph the crab contain to much salt did not feel comfortable to serve the meal so we changed the meal no big deal. Embarkation was a breeze and disembarkation also was a breeze got off at 8.45am and was in my car at 9.15am . I did enjoy your review ,sorry to hear about you experience.

I was on the same cruise as the OP. We had a very quick embarcation. We ate most nights in the specialties, but breakfast and lunch at the complimentries. We found the food good to great all around. Though I did not care for the bacons taste. Buffett food was like on any other ship I have sailed. Good not great. I think we saw the OP in the blue Lagoon one morning, they had a problem with eggs. One wanted an egg white omlet and another had her sunny side up egg sent back to have more firm whites.

I am sorry that she did not enjoy herself. We though did, and have booked another NCL vacation for next May. I think it says something for NCL that I choose them over other affordable cruise lines (RCCL, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity and Princess). They delivered a great vacation at a competative price with what I would say is awesome service.

Also. We were all over that ship and never saw an elevator out of service, unless it was a very temporary one we never noticed.

I was on the same cruise with you and agree, there was something off with the bacon. It didn't taste right. A mystery meat for sure.

After reading the OP's review, I simply cannot wait to leave for my Gem cruise on Saturday!

I am not one to try to collect as many comps as I can, by finding fault in as many things as I can. I have a feeling the NCL staff and crew were throwing all the freebies out because the OP and her sisters were complaining loudly to anyone in earshot. I have never heard anyone complain about the things the OP found horrid. Getting a refund on a manicure when you messed it up yourself? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP, please post any cruise you are taking in the future. I want to be sure I don't end up in the same boat! ;)