Cruise Critic Community
5soccer9

Flying home from Fort Lauderdale

What time do you think is the earlest I should make a flight for leaving from Fort Lauderdale? Is 11:20 to early?

PAST noon! Even Princess recommends that.

While you might be able to make one that early, if things are slow moving thru customs and immigration, as they seem to be more recently with the budget cuts, it could be iffy.

I guess you are right. I am sure I would be a wreck if I was pushing to get there before the flight. I guess I better make a later one. Thanks.

If you are able to do a walk-off with your luggage, and hurry off the ship, you would be some of the first to clear customs, proceed out the door where you will find many taxis, you will get to the AP with plenty of time to make that flight.

I guess you are right. I am sure I would be a wreck if I was pushing to get there before the flight. I guess I better make a later one. Thanks.

I always say it comes down to how much stress you can deal with. I don't like the stress nor want to waste any part of my cruise worrying about it.

Keith

If you are able to do a walk-off with your luggage, and hurry off the ship, you would be some of the first to clear customs, proceed out the door where you will find many taxis, you will get to the AP with plenty of time to make that flight.

IMO too much stress and hurraying and not the way I think a vacation should end.

And if the ship arrives late or if the clearance of the ship is delayed it won't work.

Keith

We have done 11:00 am to noon flights many times with no problem at all. We do self debark and have made it to FLL in time to be able to switch flights to a 0945 flight.

It's fifteen minutes at most by cab to the airport. We would go for it without a second thought.

Vinnie

According to Princess they said anything after 4 hours after the ship docks. They just told me that a few minutes ago. So as long as you are docked by 7 am, and you should be, you will be fine. Every time we had an 11 am flight we were fine.

How soon before your flight are you able to check in at the airport in Fort Lauderdale?

It varies by airline and can be anywhere from 2 to 4 hours so check with your airline. If you need longer I believe that Bags-to-Go will store luggage for a fee.

Vinnie

11:20 AM is not too early for a flight from FLL whiuch is just ten minutes by cab from the pier.

Be in one of the earlier departure groups (no need to carrry off your own luggage) and you will likely be there before 9 AM.

If you do carry off your own luggage, it will mean less of a line for a cab and probably less of a line for check-in and less of a line for security. It could also mean you will be at your gate by 8:30 AM, assuming the gate number is known that early.

Most times you will be fine with 11:20. We normally choose right after noon. Only one time when the Eurodam responded to a rescue at sea the night before disembarkation where we 2 hours late getting into Ft. Lauderdale. There were a lot of missed flights that day but we made our 12:10 flight just fine. I really think you will be ok, but there are no guarantees.

What time do you think is the earlest I should make a flight for leaving from Fort Lauderdale? Is 11:20 to early?

For the past 5 years we have taken an 11:25am Delta flight from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit after our cruises (usually in March or April). We have used Princess transfers or just grabbed a cab ourselves and we have never had a problem making our flights with plenty of time to spare.

Most times you will be fine with 11:20. We normally choose right after noon. Only one time when the Eurodam responded to a rescue at sea the night before disembarkation where we 2 hours late getting into Ft. Lauderdale. There were a lot of missed flights that day but we made our 12:10 flight just fine. I really think you will be ok, but there are no guarantees.

I think you will be okay too but it also depends on how many ships are in port.

Even last month - mid week in the slow season - my brother and sister in law arrived at the airport around 10 am for an 11:30 flight with no luggage to check and, because the security lines for SW were so long and the TSA agents closed down one of them with lots of (angry) people still in line, they were the last folks on board their plane. My brother has flown in and out of FLL about every 6 weeks for years and years and this is the worst he'd ever seen.

A word of warning if you are on a TA to FLL: I've also embarked on a cruise in FLL on a ship making its first stop in the US after the summer/fall in Europe. Ship clearance, customs and immigration took hours and lots of disembarking passengers missed their flights.

A word of warning if you are on a TA to FLL: I've also embarked on a cruise in FLL on a ship making its first stop in the US after the summer/fall in Europe. Ship clearance, customs and immigration took hours and lots of disembarking passengers missed their flights.

I remember (quite) a few years ago when grand princess arrived in

Port Everglades around 2:30PM due to having to slow during a rough

crossing.

My last two cruises out of Fort Lauderdale I did self disembarkation and was at FLL by 8:30AM. Actually too early for my 11:30 flight. Glad I had my Kindle.