live from marina!!!!!!! Musings from an O newbie - Azamara cheerleader.

cindilouwho

Cindi:

Very appreciative of your comprehensive comparison. Most helpful, as we have just booked our first cruise with Azamara.

Would you please comment on the passenger demographic of O compared to A when you have a chance?

Thank you so much!

Hi GJH123:

Totally off topic, but, when you get a minute can you check in on the roll call for the September Marina cruise and confirm the private excursions that you're signed up on? Look for my post a page or two back.

Thanks! And sorry for barging in on the thread. :rolleyes:

Well said ---- I feel much the same ..... just need to add that AZ has that wonderful fresh griddle for waffles and pancakes for breakfast. Not that I can eat that anymore with my new gluten and dairy-free lifestyle choice :( but my friends missed it. And, to be sure, O might have found a way to modify the recipe for me - they were very good at dong that!

Cindi, I am too busy making sure I stuff down a chocolate croissant every morning onboard (and of course much more "health" food) to waste my calories checking out the waffles and pancakes.:D

Of course, on Oceania, I actually sometimes sacrifice my chocolate croissant for the wonderful sticky buns.

Great food offerings on both lines, well-prepared and served.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the bubbly offered me as a welcome drink immediately as we boarded Azamara; it really made for a nice first impression. Also, the head restaurant guy (whatever his title) was at the specialty restaurant sign-up desk at the port terminal when we boarded, another great first impression. He also provided useful information for us first-time Azamara sailors.

Never having sailed on Azamara what is this event??

As English Tim briefly answered, the White Nights party is a white-themed (dress, I mean, although it does not matter at all if you do) pool party buffet dinner emceed by the Cruise Director with entertainment and a great party vibe held on every cruise. My husband does not like buffets, he wants table service, so we ate elsewhere on board where we could be served and attended the party after dinner. On our cruise, it took place while we overnighted off Sorrento, so Azamara thoughtfully imported a wonderful tenor from the Naples opera house who provided a fantastic show under the stars. (Many others from the entertainment department performed as well.) And senior officers mingled aplenty and even served desserts. (Whether this service part is good/bad, silly/charming is up to you!)

The Azamazing evenings are onshore and just started this year, and I look forward to the "Contemporary Croatian Concert" I will attend when we overnight in Hvar, Croatia in September. Of course, I have no clue what "Contemporary Croatian" music is (probably not very similar to Italian opera, which I love.)

Thanks first of all Cindilouwho for your honest and refreshing review.

We were recently on Regatta and we too missed the welcome drink, well any sort of proper welcome other than being pointed in the direction of the Terrace Cafe on boarding, as we have experienced on other cruise lines. The staff were very disorganised and it was quite chaotic up there. But the announcements were frequent and informative, so we knew exactly when our stateroom was ready.

We felt that generally there was very little or no interaction between guests and senior officers at all. Not that we need their company to enjoy our cruise, but a nod or a couple of words now and again would not go amiss!

There were also missed opportunities for spectacular sailaways, which could have been organised by the CD I imagine, but no.

I think the time we really noticed it was on the evening when the officers and crew did their final "march of honour" after the show. We recognised many of the crew, but not the officers! In saying this, we did enjoy the company of a couple of senior officers for dinner and they were very charming and knowledgeable and we enjoyed meeting with them very much. Apart from them, the crew, and some great guests we met, there were just so many miserable passengers that we have ever seen, anywhere, on board this sailing. A few regular O folks we met told us that this was not the "usual O crowd".

Another disappointment was disembarkation, there was no one to bid anyone farewell , the thanks for coming, look forward to seeing you again type of farewell. The gangway was empty apart from the usual security crew swiping your ship card. It does leave you feeling a bit deflated, as if you aren't feeling bad enough already at the end of a cruise!

Nothing major that would make us decide not to cruise O again, but just observations.

Thanks first of all Cindilouwho for your honest and refreshing review.

We were recently on Regatta and we too missed the welcome drink, well any sort of proper welcome other than being pointed in the direction of the Terrace Cafe on boarding, as we have experienced on other cruise lines. The staff were very disorganised and it was quite chaotic up there. But the announcements were frequent and informative, so we knew exactly when our stateroom was ready.

We felt that generally there was very little or no interaction between guests and senior officers at all. Not that we need their company to enjoy our cruise, but a nod or a couple of words now and again would not go amiss!

There were also missed opportunities for spectacular sailaways, which could have been organised by the CD I imagine, but no.

I think the time we really noticed it was on the evening when the officers and crew did their final "march of honour" after the show. We recognised many of the crew, but not the officers! In saying this, we did enjoy the company of a couple of senior officers for dinner and they were very charming and knowledgeable and we enjoyed meeting with them very much. Apart from them, the crew, and some great guests we met, there were just so many miserable passengers that we have ever seen, anywhere, on board this sailing. A few regular O folks we met told us that this was not the "usual O crowd".

Another disappointment was disembarkation, there was no one to bid anyone farewell , the thanks for coming, look forward to seeing you again type of farewell. The gangway was empty apart from the usual security crew swiping your ship card. It does leave you feeling a bit deflated, as if you aren't feeling bad enough already at the end of a cruise!

Nothing major that would make us decide not to cruise O again, but just observations.

Yes - I totally agree with all you have said. Some things are so small as to seem irrelevant, but in reality it's the small things that makes all the difference between meeting expectations and exceeding them. So many opportunities for exceeding expectations were missed - and that is what raises a great cruising experience to an exceptional one. The very smallest of details .....

GJH123 asked me to comment on the demographics of the cruise.

It seemed a bit older than I expected. Quite a few walkers and wheelchairs. Surprised me actually because the itinerary was quite port intensive and the port attractions were not well equipped for the physically challenged.

There were a couple of times when folks were out on deck relaxing, I was kind of reminded of my parents independant living residence at nap time (which is most any time in between meals ;) ) While I am no spring chicken (nor chick) - I found the average age was probably in the late 60's early 70's - well heeled, gentrified and well educated. There were a few families and more kids then I had seen on AZ. Babies too. I didn't mind. I love kids .... as long as they can be returned to their parents when I am done with them. :rolleyes:

I thought folks were very friendly and nice. I liked everyone I met - I am not sure they all felt the same about me, LOL.

There were a lot of folks that worked out quite a bit. The gym was really nice - well equipped and better maintained than the change rooms but not perfect.

I too, was expecting a "older" demographic on our Riviera sailing in May, but to my surprise, the pax seemed younger than I thought would be on board.

DH is 51 and I am 50. Quite a few appear to be not much older than us.

We saw only one passenger with a walker. That's it. (well, there was a passenger I think in a wheelchair, but I think they fell during the cruise) For a brief time, I thought there were a lot of people using canes, until I realized they were walking/hiking sticks.

These people were ACTIVE. We hiked to the top of the hill at Kotor Montenegro, and there were many other O cruisers at the top. And every other port too.

Just amazing how different one sailing can be to another.

I am asking for one of those portable/collapsable sticks for Christmas!

Little things do matter.

I remember on our Singapore to Sydney cruise on Nautica our CD Dottie stood at the gangway and shook every single person's hand as they were disembarking with some nice words (like thank you for sailing with us, come again, etc).

I suspect some might say that she could have found better things to do with her time but obviously she felt it was important and so did I.

I have seen Leslie do the same on occasion but not others.

Little things do matter.

I remember on our Singapore to Sydney cruise on Nautica our CD Dottie stood at the gangway and shook every single person's hand as they were disembarking with some nice words (like thank you for sailing with us, come again, etc).

I suspect some might say that she could have found better things to do with her time but obviously she felt it was important and so did I.

That's Dottie. She is a genuine caring, people person.

I have posted my review on the Member review section. This is not a comparison of cruise lines so it may be a little different than what I wrote here.

After browsing my pictures and thinking about the vacation for the past week - without my butler - I have decided that I have fallen in love with Eastern Europe and want to know more! I have started researching River Cruises to the Black Sea!!!! Who wants to come with me!!!!! LOL

Cindilouwho and Wendy the Wanderer

If you want to take a river cruise in Europe, may I suggest the following that we took in 2007:

Three days in Prague, pre-cruise, 14 days on the Danube from Nuremberg to the Black Sea and 3 days Bucharest, post-cruise.

Cheers,

Don

Think Barcelona will allow early boarding for lower cabins? It will be a very full itinerary next spring and would like to get on, unpacked and settled.

No one knows but why arrive earlier than your appointed time. Doing that is what messes it up for the others boarding at their appointed times.:(

No one knows but why arrive earlier than your appointed time. Doing that is what messes it up for the others boarding at their appointed times.:(

I really can not see how this a problem, if you come early you get your group number and sit down and wait. I do not see how it effects anyone.

I have posted my review on the Member review section. This is not a comparison of cruise lines so it may be a little different than what I wrote here.

After browsing my pictures and thinking about the vacation for the past week - without my butler - I have decided that I have fallen in love with Eastern Europe and want to know more! I have started researching River Cruises to the Black Sea!!!! Who wants to come with me!!!!! LOL

Cindi,

is it posted yet? I cannot find it.

Paul

Black sea cruise leaves on Azamara Journey 8/18!!

Join us -- get a last minute deal!

We too love eastern Europe. One of the best trips we have ever taken was a land trip through Romania (Dracula country) with a private guide/driver. We then spend time in fabulous Budapest. Last year we did a land trip that included Prague and made the trip to Auschwitz. We are also cruising Croatia on Azamara next year. As much as I love the old standbys of Italy, France etc, I love the cultural differences we find in Eastern Europe. And now I am taken with the Middle East. So many places; running out of time and money.

Little things do matter.

Paul,

Is this the same Dottie who used to work for Azamara? I remember a warm, friendly, outgoing woman.

Paul,

Is this the same Dottie who used to work for Azamara? I remember a warm, friendly, outgoing woman.

I am not sure if she ever worked on Azamara - someone else might know.

She is from Pittsburg and is a big Steeler's fan. Her husband Tom is always on the cruise with her as a comedian.

I sailed with Dottie on b2b Azamara cruises to Baltics and Norwegian fjords. Fast forward a few years and she was CD on our Oceania Alaska cruise. O arranges for her and comedian husband, the very funny Tom Drake, to be on the same voyages; AZ could not make the same commitment. Their loss and O's gain.

Harriet

We were with Dottie and Tom on our Regatta Black Sea cruise last August and they were both delightful. We usually ignore the CD, but it's hard to ignore Dottie!

I do hope her recovery is uneventful and prompt!

Mura

Archived