I am disappointed that changes have been made to the dress code. Could you consider naming the code SMART rather than Smart Casual as people tend to dress down once the word casual is included. I would hope that Fred Olsen would wish to maintain a good standard of dress to continue to make our cruise experience special. Please NEVER remove Formal nights - would be happy for these to be increased to compensate for the loss of Informal.

1.is there any chance of replacing the much lover "Black Prince"?
2.I enjoyed the "Balmoral" cruise to Alaska a few years ago. What are the prospects of including this beautiful place in the future?
3. How much longer will the two grand old ladies of your fleet ("Black Watch" and "Boudicca")remain in service?
Thanks

Just for balance and to illustrate that you can't please everyone :) , I would ask if there are plans to reduce the number of formal nights?

I wouldn't want to deprive those who enjoy them from having one on each cruise, but multiple formal nights are really not all that enjoyable for a lot of customers.

Reducing in number would certainly increase my enjoyment of the cruises.

Also "just for balance". I agree with the original poster.
Dressing for dinner is a big part of the enjoyment of a cruise for a large number of people , myself included, I for one wouldn't want to see a further lowering of this. There are a number of cruise lines that already offer free dress codes, I hope that Fred. Olsen doesn't go down that route.
However, I thought this forum is for asking questions of Nathan Philpot, not necessarily contributing our own opinions to the thread.;)

I was disappointed to hear about the changes in dress code for dinner. It seems to me to be a sort of 'dumbing down'. We were on the Balmoral World Cruise this year and there were some instances where it appeared that the Maitre D had been told not to enforce the informal code on a couple of evenings. I hope there's time to reconsider.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your feedback. Dress codes really do polarise opinion. You either dislike and resent being told what to wear when you are on holiday or you welcome a cruise line that maintains ‘standards’. It’s a difficult balance for us.

Whilst many cruise lines have done away with dress codes altogether, we will maintain ‘Black Tie’ – typically there are one or two per week – and we have no plans to change this.

However, we have listened to our guests’ feedback and there is a demand from many for a more relaxed and ‘Informal’ dress code for the remainder of the evenings on board. We hope that, by simplifying the dress code for these, we can make things easier for everyone when packing and ensure that no one feels constrained by too many rules; after all, our guests are meant to be relaxing.

We will ensure any new guests are made aware of what typically our existing guests wear (with many still opting for Jacket and/or tie) so we manage expectations. With the new ‘Smart Casual’ dress code, gentleman are at liberty to wear a jacket and tie, or equally they may prefer to opt for an open-necked shirt, with Chinos or smart, dark-coloured jeans, and ladies have the choice of an elegant dress or casual separates, hopefully trying to balance both sets of guests - maintaining high standards embraced and enjoyed by our guests but allowing others to relax.

I will speak to the ships regarding the phrase ‘Smart’.

Archived