Cruise Critic Community
CruisinMoons

Rough ride in the back of the ship?

What are your opinions on where on the ship to get your cabin? We have booked a veranda room near the back (aft?) of the ship on the 7th deck, but since then, other more experienced cruisers at home have told us that it is going to be very rough and we should try to move our room to the front of the ship or the middle. Any thoughts? Oh, the cruise is a two week mediterranean cruise (if that makes a difference as to how the seas will be). I guess what I'm asking is: Will be be tossed around more in the back of the ship than we would anywhere else?

We did the NCL Epic for 1 wk on deck 11 towards the back of the ship. It really wasn't that bad. Only 1 night we felt rocking and it wasn't that bad.

I've had problems in cabins near the front so we usually get mid-ship cabins but wanted a mini-suite for that trip and they are either in the front or back of the ship.

Mid ships is best, forward is worst and aft is in between.

If it's VERY rough, you will feel it everywhere on the ship! If it's calm, you may not feel any movement!

Midship is the area that is the most stable....think of the movement of a see-saw...the ends move more than the middle.

We've found far forward to be the worst, mid ship the best and in the back you will feel some movement.

Keith

I have been forward, mid, and aft. Mid is the best, but I also liked aft. I felt movement one night, but not bad at all.

Thank you everyone! I think we'll stay put. I know the port side cabins are filling up fast and I don't want to end up somewhere we REALLY don't want to be.

The only time I ever got seasick was with a Forward Cabin. My favorite is a AFT Cabin. I love looking where I've been!:p

What are your opinions on where on the ship to get your cabin? We have booked a veranda room near the back (aft?) of the ship on the 7th deck, but since then, other more experienced cruisers at home have told us that it is going to be very rough and we should try to move our room to the front of the ship or the middle. Any thoughts? Oh, the cruise is a two week mediterranean cruise (if that makes a difference as to how the seas will be). I guess what I'm asking is: Will be be tossed around more in the back of the ship than we would anywhere else?

When we were on the Norwegian Sun we had an aft cabin. The people in the front got sick during rough seas but we didn't.

Best place if you're prone to seasickness is in the middle and down low.

Thank you everyone! I think we'll stay put. I know the port side cabins are filling up fast and I don't want to end up somewhere we REALLY don't want to be.

People's mindset is to book port side to get the best view of the islands.. not the case - sometimes you back in and sometimes you pull in. NEVER book a side of the ship based on seeing your port.

you will not see all that is available on any sailing-- you will only see a selected few cabins in any one category

7291 is my ultimate favorite cabin. We have stayed in that general vacinty many times on different ships.

No across the hall neighbors. easy access to stair-- up two decks for food. down two deck for entertainment

Edited by serene56

People's mindset is to book port side to get the best view of the islands.. not the case - sometimes you back in and sometimes you pull in. NEVER book a side of the ship based on seeing your port.

you will not see all that is available on any sailing-- you will only see a selected few cabins in any one category

7291 is my ultimate favorite cabin. We have stayed in that general vacinty many times on different ships.

No across the hall neighbors. easy access to stair-- up two decks for food. down two deck for entertainment

So true, also if one books a cabin because one wishes to see the coast on a Mexican cruise good luck because you can't and if you can it's a blur. We like aft cabins because we can sit on our balcony and watch the city recede. Or wait. Perhaps it's the ship that's moving away. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Edited by Kentskie

The captain is in Fwd, most of the suite-rooms are in fwd. Any reason why?

Of course the Captain is forward he has to be near the bridge to run the ship.

In the olden days cabins were below and public rooms were above but they reversed that and put most public rooms on lower decks probably motion was a factor. In my experience suite location is not necessarily based on the "best ride".

Mid ships is best, forward is worst and aft is in between.

I concur completely. We had a front ocean view on a TA and NEVER AGAIN!

We heard a crash with every wave.

The 'more experienced cruisers' must be expert weather forecasters to predict a very rough voyage - in reality you might get heavy seas, you might not. I reckon that the size of the ship is more important that the position you are in the ship, the larger the less motion. Though don't forget the seasickness tablets :)

The 'more experienced cruisers' must be expert weather forecasters to predict a very rough voyage - in reality you might get heavy seas, you might not. I reckon that the size of the ship is more important that the position you are in the ship, the larger the less motion. Though don't forget the seasickness tablets :)

I concur with your statement about you must be an expert weather forcaster to predict a rough voyage and even they don't always get it right but in my experience location does matter. To illustrate this I take a pen or pencil and grip it in the middle and move the ends up and down to simulate the ship's movement. One can readily see that the movement is lesser in the middle.

Interesting variety of opinions. I have had roller-coaster cabins (all the way fore) on TAs and slept like a baby in spite of really rough seas. Others don't do really as well. Midships and lower decks are more stable than upper (Basic levers as referred to above. I wouldn't worry about the Captain's Cabin - if S/He got sea sick, they wouldn't have their current position...).

I prefer aft balconies over every other location. I like being out of the foot traffic pattern and it is quieter. I like waving good bye to land. But occasionally there is a soot problem.

What deck? Any with passengers above and below. Unless you sleep like a rock - you don't want to be below the weight room, the ice rink, the disco .....

-Holly

your mileage may vary

Also, if motion is a concern, the lower the better. Our first cruise was one we won and it was on the bottom deck (Rivera on Carnival) and in very front. We did not feel very much that cruise. On another cruise we were aft but higher up and could really feel it. But you are restricted by the type of cabin you want. We travel with balconies now and do not have as much a choice as to how low we can go. But there has only been one time that motion was a problem anyhow. So I would not worry about it.

We are traveling on the Celebrity Eclipse on deck 11 aft and I have my concerns about motion.

But I also think if you think positive and take your sea sickness tablets you will be fine :-)

We have done all and have not noticed a huge difference personally. The worst for me was our first and we were in the middle. It was the roughest trip overall however. If you are happy with everything else I would stay where I was. As others have suggested Bonine may be needed either way and could save the day:) Have fun!

We have always had aft cabins, that is our preference. I've noticed when we're in the Princess Theater (forward) I can always feel movement, so that is why we steer away from forward. I think mid is best and then aft. Never been to the Mediterranean though.

Enjoy!!

We have always had aft cabins, that is our preference. I've noticed when we're in the Princess Theater (forward) I can always feel movement, so that is why we steer away from forward. I think mid is best and then aft. Never been to the Mediterranean though.

Enjoy!!

Did you ever feel queasy in the theatre? I know the theatre on Celebrity Eclipse is forward too.

Or did the show kind of take your mind off of the movement?

Thanks!

Gem