Jump to content

Solo Cruiser's Roll Call


42CruiseCrazy
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

 

Oh no don't miss it!!!  Specially if you're an avid snorkeler.  The ABC islands are a paradise for divers and snorkelers.  Heck, Bonaire is such an amazing snorkelling place that you can literally walk off the ship, walk 100ft and jump in the ocean and snorkel right there. (no I'm not kidding!  I did it!)

 

I attached a few underwater photos I took literally next to the ship when I was there last year hoping it encourages you to go!

 

Pat

 

2018-01-24 11-39-46.JPG

2018-01-24 11-50-40.JPG

2018-01-24 12-01-12.JPG

2018-01-24 12-33-56.JPG

2018-01-24 12-50-25.JPG

Your pictures are gorgeous;  thanks for sharing them. Amazing how much is under there!

Edited by JoseyP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

 

Again, all the best for 2020!

another Brooklyn girl.  JoseyP

 

Hey Josey P.

All the best to you also.  Here's to New Adventures.  Yep I loved that cruise so much I'm saving up for a longer one.  Hopefully a repositional cruise again.  Didn't even know what that was when I booked, LOL.  

 

For the "new" apprehensive solos for the two weeks it took me with my self-talk of "Are you crazy; You could spend that money on something else (What, just exactly what); Who do you think you are (negative self-talk from my childhood);  What will people think (Came to the conclusion that's their problem); What will people think on the ship (Again their problem - there were a few solo men who thought I might be hooking - again their problem and I knew where to tell them to go  To Jesus, their mother, to hell, etc.)    Each and every time for those two weeks when I had wrestled with to go or not to go, there would be someone behind me, beside me, in front of me who I didn't know and wasn't talking to  me nor I to them but, in their conversation to each other would answer my questions! 😮   Gpd was that you?    My granddaughter who was 6 tracked all my ports using Google Earth and asked for pics of animals I came across along the way.    She even warned me to watch out for whales and then I sent her  pictures of the Royal Princess (at that time the largest cruise ship to circumvent South America) against other ships at port which were mostly cargo.  Go find you Roll Call for your ship and try to get in on excursions (all the companies --- some I booked through my travel agents partnering companies, mostly all I booked with well healed cruisers who were known to the tour guides and companies and guaranteed  back-to-ship on time or we would be driven to the next port.   I think I did only three Princess excursions one being a home hosted meal (there was only 10 folks on that one and there was only one), a roof top barbecue in Buenos  Aires.  The food was fabulous cooked by one of that city's famous chefs.

 

All the best and happy new year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ramona, you are funny!  And you inadvertently taught your granddaughter geography, that was great. I told you, I think a "round South America" cruise I'd find fascinating. People I made friends with on a Canada cruise a few years ago had done one, and they loved it too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pat.D said:

 

Oh no don't miss it!!!  Specially if you're an avid snorkeler.  The ABC islands are a paradise for divers and snorkelers.  Heck, Bonaire is such an amazing snorkelling place that you can literally walk off the ship, walk 100ft and jump in the ocean and snorkel right there. (no I'm not kidding!  I did it!)

 

I attached a few underwater photos I took literally next to the ship when I was there last year hoping it encourages you to go!

 

I'm sailing the NCL Breakaway solo again next week and I'll be snorkeling and scuba diving in every port.  I am FAR from being a social guy, but I always meet people and make new friends on solo cruises.

 

Pat

 

2018-01-24 11-39-46.JPG

2018-01-24 11-50-40.JPG

2018-01-24 12-01-12.JPG

2018-01-24 12-33-56.JPG

2018-01-24 12-50-25.JPG

Love the pictures Pat - heading off on Epic 6 Feb to Bonaire etc so here's hoping I get to see similar.
Also, on Bliss Panama Canal trip in April so that should see some good trips too 🙂 

 

Fiona

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, squick64 said:

I don't normally want to eat in the buffet, anyway, so I don't fight it too hard. I was on a cruise once where we set our things down on a table and went to get in line, and a busperson had whisked it all away when we returned. The buffet line was like half an hour long, very badly managed, and he figured it'd been there so long, it'd been forgotten.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's not a good idea to  expect to hold up a table for 30 minutes. Other people who have already been through the line , and are walking around looking for a table might find that a bit selfish on your part.    Same as hogging a sunlounger, then going in for breakfast. Those folks are not called chairhogs for nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am 6 days away from my cruise.  My nerves are up, I think because it is a new cruiseline for me, so don't know what to expect in a few areas.  But hey it will be a cruise, if I don't like my dinner mates, I can go eat in the buffet or ask to switch tables. Not sure why this makes me nervous, I have never had an issue, I have always had great tablemates!

 

At least the snow threat for my flight looks minimal!

 

Melissa

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, barefoot cruiser said:

I am 6 days away from my cruise.  My nerves are up, I think because it is a new cruiseline for me, so don't know what to expect in a few areas.  But hey it will be a cruise, if I don't like my dinner mates, I can go eat in the buffet or ask to switch tables. Not sure why this makes me nervous, I have never had an issue, I have always had great tablemates!

 

At least the snow threat for my flight looks minimal!

 

Melissa

I too will be on my first MSC cruise in a few days.    I am nervous as reviews seem evenly split between splendid and horrible.   We shall see what the sea holds for this trip.   Good luck,  I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, skipperanne said:

I too will be on my first MSC cruise in a few days.    I am nervous as reviews seem evenly split between splendid and horrible.   We shall see what the sea holds for this trip.   Good luck,  I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

    

Please let me know how your cruise went and if you liked MSC.  I'm doing my first solo on February 1st but on Carnival.  Hope both of you have a great time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very excited to be going on my first Viking Oceans cruise--the Viking Sky's transatlantic on March 6 2020.  I will definitely let everyone know my experiences as a solo on Viking when I get back.  I've been trying to book a cruise on them for ages, but as they rarely have a solo price less than 200% it's taken a while to find a deal I thought was reasonable enough to pull the trigger.  Can't wait!  🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

I'm very excited to be going on my first Viking Oceans cruise--the Viking Sky's transatlantic on March 6 2020.  I will definitely let everyone know my experiences as a solo on Viking when I get back.  🙂

My friend loves Viking, but she goes with her husband.  I would love to know how it is as a solo cruiser!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

My friend loves Viking, but she goes with her husband.  I would love to know how it is as a solo cruiser!

Do they have solo only cabins like they do on their river boats? With those cabins, they can't charge double since there is only room for one person! What was the supplement percentage on this voyage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, skleeb said:

Do they have solo only cabins like they do on their river boats? With those cabins, they can't charge double since there is only room for one person! What was the supplement percentage on this voyage?

They do not have solo cabins--on any of their ocean liners as far as I know.  I believe the solo supplement was like 175% but it also included $99 airfare and an upgrade from V to DV class, so it was worth it to me since I've been wanting to try them for so long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

They do not have solo cabins--on any of their ocean liners as far as I know.  I believe the solo supplement was like 175% but it also included $99 airfare and an upgrade from V to DV class, so it was worth it to me since I've been wanting to try them for so long.

I understand! Safe travels! Let us know how it all worked out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The internet is dangerous. For example, I went back to re-read two extensive reviews of NCL Encore... and found myself clicking the Book button for the September 3rd sailing of NCL Encore to Bermuda. I went for a Studio cabin which, at this time anyway, is far less expensive than even a GTY inside cabin. This sailing is pricier than others due to the date (Labor Day weekend) but I'll make it up with all those free lattes in the Studio lounge!

 

So for 2020, I've got three solo sailings booked, not including the one already completed a couple weeks ago:

  • NCL Jewel, June 1-8, Seward to Vancouver, inside
  • NCL Encore, September 3-8, NYC <-> Bermuda, Studio
  • NCL Spirit, November 23-December 7, Tokyo <-> Tokyo (visiting Japan and currently scheduled for an overnight in Shanghai but we'll see), balcony

I should try to de-introvert myself a bit for the 14-day cruise because that's a long time to go without a conversation!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...