Carnival Magic 6/30/2013 Review with Pictures!

Britbrie

My reaction exactly!

What kind of bug?

Something tiny like a gnat or fruit fly?

Or something big and crawly like (gasp) a roach?

It looked like a fruit fly. I freaked out hahah. I almost ate that piece of chocolate too!!!

It looked like a fruit fly. I freaked out hahah. I almost ate that piece of chocolate too!!!

Whew! Well, I'm relieved to hear that.

I cannot stand bugs, but I accept that little flying things like gnats or fruit flies are hard to control and can fly into the cleanest establishment and get into food or drinks. It's not really an problem of cleanliness or lack thereof.

I've worked in a restaurant before and dine out a lot. Living in South Florida, I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a glass of wine that a fruit fly dove into.

Disgusting as bugs are, glad it wasn't anything worse. Ick!:eek:

We drove from Baton Rouge! You could do the drive the morning of, for sure. We just didn't want to be all tired from the drive and stuff.

We also drive from about 45 min. south of Laff. and we ALWAYS leave the day before! You just never know what delays or unexpected things could happen to make you miss the ship! Just a little risky to me so we stay in a little town I was raised in (La Porte) which is only 30 min. from dock. and not as expen. as some in Galv. and a nice full breakfast! So we are rested and ready for the day!!!

We docked a little before 8 am in Roatan. (Of course I was still asleep... but my dad said that's what happened). After getting ready, we went and ate a quick breakfast at the lido deck.

They had a selection of waffles, and pancakes with fruit toppings at the grill. On the inside of the buffet, they had an omelet station/typical breakfast fare.

We headed down to deck 0 to get off the ship. The plan for the day was for mom and I to go shopping and take some pictures, while dad was going to go on a dive.

Early morning, the Liberty was docking right in front of us:

DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Here comes the part where I broke out my Canon 7D... sorry it's going to be a LOT of flower pictures... I just think they are super pretty.

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

The different stores they had were Cariloha, Effy Jewelers, International Diamonds, Piranha Joe's, some local vendor shops, and a drug store. After we did a little bit of shopping, we went to Fat Tuesday's to go grab a drink.

I've lived in Louisiana my whole life, and have always grown up around Mardi Gras events/parades... so Fat Tuesday's was pretty lame to me. It was a nice little place to grab a quick drink and people watch, but not really a party scene. I grabbed a banana/strawberry daiquiri, while mom got a bud light. My daiquiri was very weak and came in a souvenir sport cup for $10.

DSCN0251.jpg

After drinking our drinks, mom and I decided to head back to the ship to grab some lunch. Once back on the ship, we stopped by the room to put our purchases down. A few minutes after hanging out in the room, a maintenance man walks in from the balcony... looks at us all stunned, and quickly exits the room. We were shocked!! This goes to show you guys to definitely lock your balcony doors and lock up valuables anytime you aren't in your room!

After lunch, we went back to the room and got a load of laundry together. The washing machines and dryers worked pretty well on this ship... (it was $3.00 per machine).

While waiting on the laundry, my dad came back from his dive. This was his second dive in Roatan, and both times they went to Anthony's Key. He said it is one of the most professional dives he has ever been on, and that the spot they take you is gorgeous. After about 45 minutes of instruction, they dove and went up to 40 ft down for about half an hour or so. They saw sea turtles, tons of fish and LOTS of coral. He definitely loved the dive, and recommends the excursion to any one looking to do a beginner dive.

Around 5:50 pm, we watched the sail away.

IMG_9616.jpg

IMG_9619.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

After taking pictures and watching the sights for a little bit, it was time to head to dinner. (I forgot my point and shoot in the room so had to use my cell phone camera...)

My dad had the shark for an appetizer:

20130703_173251.jpg

I tried the potato soup

20130703_173254.jpg

Flank steak:

20130703_175352.jpg

Veggie Enchiladas:

20130703_175358.jpg

Seafood Newburg style:

20130703_175409.jpg

This night, I did not feel so well (I was still getting over bronchitis)... so I went back to the room before dessert was served. Later on, my dad went and got me some chocolate cake from the lido buffet. Instead of going anywhere and watching the magic show, we watched the in-room movie and went to sleep.

Up next:The Fourth of July!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Come back...come back! ;) (I asked in my most pitiful, Kate Winslet impression.) Loving your trip report! We sail for the first time with Carnival on the Magic this Thanksgiving...can't wait!

Hey, what are those lollipop/cherry looking things on your plate in the beginning of your trip report?

Also, did the crew member who was out on your balcony not explain himself and why he was in there?!!!:eek: I mean, he might have stepped out for some fresh air, like maybe your room was the last he had to clean, make up beds, etc...??

Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a wonderful group called the Galveston Carnival Cruisers with over 1000 members that can help answer all of your questions. Do a search and ask to join.

Where? Facebook? Cruise Critic? I have several questions! :D Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...