Final Bill different from credit card statement

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my last 2 cruises I noticed this. When I got my final bill (waiting for me in the morning at my door), I checked it over and it was correct. When I got my credit card statement, it didn't match my final bill. I contacted RCI and they told me that I had been charged for things from the mini bar. The first time it happened it was about half of what was in the mini bar. The second time it was the entire contents of the mini bar. On both cruises we never touched the mini bar. RCI did credit my account back though. Just be sure to check your credit card statement verses your final bill.

On one of our cruises they charged me for a soda from the mini-bar. We never touch anything in there. A phone call corrected the problem, but it did take about two weeks for the credit to show up on the credit card.

I wonder why this happens so much - I wish they would just do away with the mini-bar. Leave the fridge empty for the guests to use, especially since we can now bring wine aboard. On a 15 nighter HAL cruise to Hawaii, the cabin next to me was SCREAMING at the steward because they were charged 3.00 for a bottle of water. I told the steward to just charge me the 3.00, seriously, that kind of abuse after what you just spent for 15 nights? Dispute the charge, sure, but SCREAMING at 8am?? :rolleyes:

Last time we asked for the mini bar fridge to be emptied.Not sure if they will still do that .

Does anyone who has cruised recently asked for this to be done ?

I do and always have. It's just not worth the potential post cruise aggravation plus I like the space it affords to keep my own drinks / food cool for a while.

It has actually happened to me twice, on the same ship, in the past year.. The Jewel. I wasn't pleased!

They also have told me they are no longer allowed to remove the mini bar stuff.

If they are no longer allowed to remove the mini bar stuff ask that an inventory be taken while you are present.

Last time we asked for the mini bar fridge to be emptied.Not sure if they will still do that .

It seems to vary by ship. Some ships have no problem removing the items from the mini bar, others say no. If they say no, we just remove the stuff and put it in the closet or a cabinet, leave a note in the cooler so we don't get charged during the cruise, and replace it before we leave.

We always request they remove the contents from the fridge. They just put them elsewhere in the cabin. I too wish they would do away with those items. If you want the things, just order them. We have been charged for items too, but my husband checks our on board account every day.

Gwen :)

Ive never noticed. I am from Canada so once the exchange rate goes in it always is different. I just looked i am fine even though I cruised in May it would have been too late i am sure. Also we never touch anything from the mini bar. I brought my own m&ms, I got at walmart a heck of alot cheaper

You aren't the only one who has reported this. I'm relatively new to the RCI boards and I've seen several threads about this. Guess I'll need to double check the credit card bill after. :rolleyes:

I do and always have. It's just not worth the potential post cruise aggravation plus I like the space it affords to keep my own drinks / food cool for a while.

Where did they put the drinks when you've asked them to do this? I've seen lots of folks say that they just put the drinks on a counter in your stateroom. Seems like it defeats the purpose.

I've had different charges a couple of times. The "final statement" will be correct but the amount charged to my credit card will be more. Once they said I hadn't turned in a towel so I had an extra $20 charged. I know I turned in all my towels and even had a statement showing 0 towels were checked out. I got that corrected. Another time I was told I had taken some items from the mini bar. I hadn't used anything. That one took more arguing to have fixed because I didn't have a statement to "prove" that I hadn't used anything from the mini bar.

I haven't had much luck getting the items removed from the mini bar recently. It seems like the stewards always say they aren't allowed to remove the items anymore. I usually put them in a cabinet to get them out of the way and put them back when I'm leaving.

It happened to me a few weeks ago on Radiance. My credit card was charged about $10 more than the statement. When I called they said it was minibar charges, which they removed when I told them we never used the minibar.

I'm not usually cynical, but this seems to be quite the revenue stream for RC. It happens so often, and I would bet that for every person who checks their statement carefully and calls to dispute the charge, there is another who does not. $10 here or there doesn't sound like much, but multiplied by thousands of passengers...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Last December on the Monarch we were also charged 20.00 for mini bar charges after we got home. This is the first time this has happened in all our cruises. One other thing, this was the first cruise I've ever seen someone with a huge cart full of snacks and soda cans going into all the rooms and checking the fridges. Wonder is this is a small revenue generator that they hope no one notices. Hmmmmm

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my last 2 cruises I noticed this. When I got my final bill (waiting for me in the morning at my door), I checked it over and it was correct. When I got my credit card statement, it didn't match my final bill. I contacted RCI and they told me that I had been charged for things from the mini bar. The first time it happened it was about half of what was in the mini bar. The second time it was the entire contents of the mini bar. On both cruises we never touched the mini bar. RCI did credit my account back though. Just be sure to check your credit card statement verses your final bill.

That just happened to us on the 2nd week of our B2B on Jewel. The mini bar was never filled either week. First week no issue, CC charge was the same as statement. 2nd week, I checked the bill before we left the ship, brought it home (always keep it until I see the CC charge). When the charges hit, it was for more. I called and same thing, they charged us for the mini-bar. I told them it had been empty the entire 2 weeks we were on the cruise so they immediately credited the amount back to me with no issues at all. That was the first time that had happened to us. Makes me glad I always save my seapass statement until I see the charges on the credit card.

We always ask them to empty it. Sometimes they put it under the bed, or they tell us (especially on 3 nighters) to just take it out and put it on the top of the vanity which we do. Never have problems with getting it emptied.

Having the mini bar contents removed isn't going to do you any good. If they want to charge extra, they will do so with impunity.

The cruise line must know all about this. If the overcharging was done by mistake, the employee who caused all those complaints and irate customers, would be fired.

The cruise line is part of the scam.

Has anyone ever been undercharged?

Has anyone ever actually used the mini bar?

Last cruise I was overcharged for water I did not use. I had it removed.

Next cruise, I'm going to have a talk with the cabin steward and the guy in charge of the mini bar.

I'm going to get a business card from each and put them on notice that I will not use anything from the mini bar, and if I get overcharged for anything, I will take their names right to the top in my complaints to the hotel director and anyone else I can think of.

Having the mini bar contents removed isn't going to do you any good. If they want to charge extra, they will do so with impunity.

The cruise line must know all about this. If the overcharging was done by mistake, the employee who caused all those complaints and irate customers, would be fired.

The cruise line is part of the scam.

Has anyone ever been undercharged?

Has anyone ever actually used the mini bar?

Last cruise I was overcharged for water I did not use. I had it removed.

Next cruise, I'm going to have a talk with the cabin steward and the guy in charge of the mini bar.

I'm going to get a business card from each and put them on notice that I will not use anything from the mini bar, and if I get overcharged for anything, I will take their names right to the top in my complaints to the hotel director and anyone else I can think of.

To the first bolded line- of course. There are waaaay too many of these examples for it to be a coincidence.

2nd line. Never, for anything. :p

Funny.... The irony....in one post, people are attacked as "cheap" and "lowlife" for questioning the concept of auto pre-paid tipping of these sainted service providers yet they are sometimes the same people involved in pre-planned auto "billing errors"...... :o

We should be quick to praise, eager to reward great service..... but also quick to scrutinize and criticize (if necessary) these issues too.

One reason why I don't give them my credit card. I'd rather take the time to walk down and pay them in cash then have to watch my credit card statements for an error.

That brings to mind, a question....

Do people who use a cash account rather than a credit card ever find that they have been overcharged when they go to customer service for their final cash out?

Funny.... The irony....in one post, people are attacked as "cheap" and "lowlife" for questioning the concept of auto pre-paid tipping of these sainted service providers yet they are sometimes the same people involved in pre-planned auto "billing errors"...... :o

Pretty sure "these sainted service providers" that the prepaid tips go to have absolutely NOTHING to do the mini bar. The bar staff takes care of that.

I do often wonder how much RCI makes a year off erroneous charges though from people that dont pay attention or just figure its not worth it to fight the charges.

Archived