Buying vanilla beans in French Polynesia?

giselleacttwo

I'd read some previous threads in this forum and would like to bring some vanilla beans home. Does anyone know about what I can expect to pay for some? I did a price check at my local grocery store- $12.00 for a single bean. :eek: I'm hoping they are cheaper in Tahiti? Are they easy to find?

About 10 years ago on a Tahitian Princess cruise, we bought vanilla beans while on a shore excursion (supposedly from the same supplier as the White House). Wanting them safe and where I would not forget them, I placed them in the safe for the next 8 days. My My I can still smell in memory that wonderful scent that filled the room every time I opened the safe.:) I tried making vanilla sugar somewhat successfully but my daughter tried to make vanilla out of the beans.:rolleyes:

I certainly would think about whether the doggies at the border would allow them in (I would bet not because they smell even to a human nose) and check it out before buying. The grower might have a way of sealed package or something that is allowed. I have brought spices back to my daughter from other countries but they were packaged and I think that is allowed. Know before you go -- All countries are very protective of their agricultural interests these days and we have to do our part (or big fines and they make you dispose of the items:eek:).

Returned 2 days ago and had no issues in bringing back both vanilla powder and the beans. Most of the beans are sold in either a vacuum pack or a cigar tube looking holder and have about 6 beans labeled as about 20 grams. In all honesty the airport, before you go through security in PPT had the best price at 1,000 Francs (about $12) for the tube. In the duty free shop after security the same tube was 1,800 Francs.

I buy it by the Kilo, last year I bought 2 kilos.

The best quality and the best price if your buying in quantity will be on Moorea at this place. Just to the east of the Moorea IC. I've bought on several different islands and at the airport, this place is best for freshness, quality & quantity.

NonistoreonMoorea.jpg

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Thanks for reminding me to buy my vanilla. I bought pineapple jam/jelly and other kinds of jellies for my DGD. I can't remember where they came from. Anybody know where to buy yummy jams/jellies? Probably will only go to Tahiti and Moorea this trip on stopover to New Zealand.

The best by far is at the Agricultural School on Moorea. Stuff lasts forever too. I have a jar I am finishing up that I brought back 18 months ago. I had brought back around 8 jars. The Pineapple/Vanilla and Pineapple/coconut are my favorites.

Load up!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to second the pineapple vanilla jam from the agricultural school. I am rationing out the last little bit and wishing I had bought more!

I bought vanilla on Moorea from the place Tiki talked about (also bought monoi and tetanus oil there too, which I am also rationing!) and from a farm on Tahaa. Personally, I can't tell the difference. Both make amazing vanilla sugar to put on fruit (fantastic on pineapple) and in baking, and vanilla syrup.

I have to second the pineapple vanilla jam from the agricultural school. I am rationing out the last little bit and wishing I had bought more!

I bought vanilla on Moorea from the place Tiki talked about (also bought monoi and tetanus oil there too, which I am also rationing!) and from a farm on Tahaa. Personally, I can't tell the difference. Both make amazing vanilla sugar to put on fruit (fantastic on pineapple) and in baking, and vanilla syrup.

psyfi,

I had never heard of monoi or tetanus oil before so I had to look them up. I found that monoi comes from Tahitian gardenias which sounds very nice (We have a couple of these plants in our yard and they are very fragrant.) However, when I looked up "tetanus oil" all I could find was that tetanus is a bacteria which causes lockjaw. Is there a tetanus oil that I don't know about? Or, could you have meant Tamanu oil which comes from the Tamanu tree which is native to Tahiti? I found out about this at a site called Natural Skin Care. http://www.naturalskinrepair.com/tamanu-oil.html

http://tahiti-iti.com/

So sorry tiki! Stupid spellcheck! Monoi oil and Tamanu oil! The Same place you get the vanilla makes small batches of both oils and they are wonderful. Great for treating sunburn and the Tamanu has anti-bacterial qualities - heals cuts fast, stops bug bites from itching, etc... We did not buy any of the mass produced versions of monoi but I might have to do that when this stuff runs out.

• 1 month later...
I buy it by the Kilo, last year I bought 2 kilos.

The best quality and the best price if your buying in quantity will be on Moorea at this place. Just to the east of the Moorea IC. I've bought on several different islands and at the airport, this place is best for freshness, quality & quantity.

Can you recommend a place to buy vanilla beans in Papeete? Any suggestions on how to tell the quality of one over another?

TIA

Diane