Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
kenandlaura06

Best use of RCCL Visa points

Hi all-

Please help walk me through the best way to maximize our RCCL Visa points. We are planning a cruise on Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda next July or August. Ready to book, but before we do, I am trying to figure out the best way to use our approx. 50,000 Royal points (just under that now, will have that in the next month or so).

We ultimately want to have a balcony stateroom for our family of four. Wondering if the best way to maximize our points is to book an oceanview and then use the 50,000 to upgrade to a balcony (can we do that as we are 2 adults AND 2 children?) OR to simply go for the $500 off the cruise.

We need to use the 50,000 points over the next few months as a bunch of our points will expire (they do after 5 years, correct?).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Just redeem the 50,000 for $500 off the price of the cruise. The value of the free upgrade would only apply to the first 2 guests in the room, and it can't exceed $500, so no matter how you go about it for that cruise $500 is the max you'll save with 50,000 points.

Hi all-

Please help walk me through the best way to maximize our RCCL Visa points. We are planning a cruise on Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda next July or August. Ready to book, but before we do, I am trying to figure out the best way to use our approx. 50,000 Royal points (just under that now, will have that in the next month or so).

We ultimately want to have a balcony stateroom for our family of four. Wondering if the best way to maximize our points is to book an oceanview and then use the 50,000 to upgrade to a balcony (can we do that as we are 2 adults AND 2 children?) OR to simply go for the $500 off the cruise.

We need to use the 50,000 points over the next few months as a bunch of our points will expire (they do after 5 years, correct?).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

for us, again for us, it may not be for everyone. my wife and i always cash it when we reach 125,000 points. (the way we spend it takes approx. every 18 months). we use this for a free 7 night Caribbean cruise for two. we usually get $1400 to $1800 value and than we pay the extra and upgrade to a suite. this really really works for us. we will be taking our 3rd free cruise value in 2 months. enjoy your points and do what fits best for you. but the 125,000 points cash in for a cruise is the best value....

for us, again for us, it may not be for everyone. my wife and i always cash it when we reach 125,000 points. (the way we spend it takes approx. every 18 months). we use this for a free 7 night Caribbean cruise for two. we usually get $1400 to $1800 value and than we pay the extra and upgrade to a suite. this really really works for us. we will be taking our 3rd free cruise value in 2 months. enjoy your points and do what fits best for you. but the 125,000 points cash in for a cruise is the best value....

I would do this, but we have approximately 20,000 points that are approaching 5 years, so if we don't use them, we will lose them, correct?

Edited by kenandlaura06

You can only upgrade the two adults; you will have to pay for the children. By upgrading, you will have a more limited choice since you can only upgrade to the lowest category (which usually doesn't include cabins for more than two people).

Compare costs. If the upgrade costs more than $500, the upgrade is the better deal.

We have only used 125,000 points for a free 7-day on the Allure and then upgraded to a balcony by paying the difference (which is not as much on the Allure as it is on the Explorer).

I realize this won't work on the cruise you booked, but the best value for 50K points is to redeem the free 3/4 night cruise when the points are work up to $1000.

My wife has 20,000 points on her card and I have 25,000 on my card and we have a cruise booked for Jan. Balcony room. We have used points before for OBC and that's what we are thinking of doing again. Is this a good way to use them ?? It is going to be $450 no matter what way we use them right?? I have never really thought of using them for booking just don't get what everyone is saying about upgrading. Do you make more from them if you upgrade with them?

My wife has 20,000 points on her card and I have 25,000 on my card and we have a cruise booked for Jan. Balcony room. We have used points before for OBC and that's what we are thinking of doing again. Is this a good way to use them ?? It is going to be $450 no matter what way we use them right?? I have never really thought of using them for booking just don't get what everyone is saying about upgrading. Do you make more from them if you upgrade with them?

Here are the rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/bofa_program_rules.pdf

Look for redemptions that give more value than 1% of the point value in dollars. For example, the 50K point redemption can be redeemed for a $500 OBC or $500 credit, which is the standard 1% point value. However, the 50K level can also be redeemed for a free 3/4 day cruise in an OV stateroom, max value $1000. That's double the value of the OBC or credit.

Edited by clarea

First off (IMO) I would get one card so all your points go together - you want to accumulate 125,000 as soon as you can.

Second - if you use points as OBC or as Discounts from the price, you only get the equivalence of $1 per 100 points (thus 50000 = $500)

BUT.....

If you use your points for "Free 7-day Caribbean Cruise" the value could be up to $2500 (for 125000 that equals $2 per 100 points), and you can DOUBLE the value.:cool:

You have to pick the right cruise to use them on in order to maximize your value. We just started to use our 125,000 points on our cruise out of NOLA, but found out the Ocean View rooms were only $1098. But on our Freedom cruise out of Florida, the OV are $2200 - we used them there and got that big of a discount off the price of our Jr. Suite. :D

Hope This Helps.

Or you can use 15,000 points for an upgrade which has a max value of $300.

I would love to say that we have the means to accumulate 125,000 points in 5 years but unfortuantely we do not.:rolleyes:

The only thing to consider when doing this is this reduces the commissionable cruise fare by $500. IF you are giving your reservation to a TA who gives OBC your OBC amount could be reduced because your commissionable cruise fare was reduced.

To avoid this I always take the OBC option from the Visa card rather than a dollar amount off of the cruise.

If you do not get perks from a TA this will not apply.

Just redeem the 50,000 for $500 off the price of the cruise. The value of the free upgrade would only apply to the first 2 guests in the room, and it can't exceed $500, so no matter how you go about it for that cruise $500 is the max you'll save with 50,000 points.