narrow56

Carnival Glory 7 Day Cruise Review LOTS OF PICTURES

My husband and I just got back from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Glory. It went from 7/14 - 7/21/2013. We sailed from Boston to Portland, Saint John, Halifax, and Sydney.

First a little background information. My husband is 26 and I'm 25. We both live in Upstate NY. I have been on 4 cruises before (2 on Carnival) and my husband had been on 3. We were celebrating our 2 year wedding anniversary.

We like to sail from ports that we can drive to, and Boston was one of those. We got a great deal on this cruise. The price kept dropping, so we got it for $429 pp. I was little weary picking a cruise destination that wasn't the Caribbean, but was pleasantly surprised.

So stick around! I'll have a lot to tell you and a lot of pictures to share. :)

We traveled the 6 hours from NY through VT and NH to get to Burlington, MA. That's where we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It was a very nice hotel and it was less than $90 a night. We like to do a little sightseeing if possible before a cruise, so we took the T from the Alewife station into the city. I had previously booked a Free Tour By Foot of the Freedom Trail. I HIGHLY recommend their tours. They're tip based, and excellent!

Our tour guide Brian:

DSC02351_zps845b81d9.jpg

Up next...embarkation!

The day had finally arrived for our cruise. We got to the port, parked ($60 for the week...wow! Cheap!), and got on the bus to the ship. Once there (a 2 minute ride), we unloaded our luggage and got in line to give it to the porter. I recommend tipping $1 per piece of luggage. We each had one suitcase and we also each brought on a carry on. Be sure to keep all of your valuables with you and also your documentation. From there we quickly went through security, then we checked in. The whole process was about 45 minutes. We walked onto the ship and I said, "I'M HOME!"

We explored around the ship and got our first drinks. I had been waiting a whole year for a Hurricane Wave!

It was VERY humid that day, so I tried to avoid being out in the sun too much. We had lunch in the Red Sail restaurant which is really the only option when you first board. I had wanted to try the Blue Iguana Cantina for a while, so I decided to have a burrito. They are a must try!

After lunch we headed to our stateroom, since we were told it would be ready by 1:30. They were correct. We had #6459 in the aft section of the ship. It was an interior room. Though tiny, it was comfortable. The shower certainly makes me love mine at home much more though! Our steward was Gede, who was very friendly all week long! He kept our room clean (though we try to keep things tidy) and always kept our ice bucket filled.

Some pictures:

DSC02393_zps5f1d4dfc.jpg

DSC02395_zpsfc313620.jpg

DSC02398_zps251d4aa8.jpg

DSC02414_zps62f9c735.jpg

Platinum Dining Room:

DSC02408_zpse72ca37b.jpg

Adults Only Pool:

DSC02423_zps7e62af7b.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of your post. We are on the Glory in Sept. Thanks for taking the time to write about your cruise!

I will be on the Glory next week! I am so excited to read the rest of your review, both the good and not so good. How much is a frozen drink? Thanks!

Nice start! Just got off the Glory in May and had an awesome time. I would definitely love to get back on right about now. :D

I will be on the Glory next week! I am so excited to read the rest of your review, both the good and not so good. How much is a frozen drink? Thanks!

I do believe they were 7.25 + 15% gratuity. Okay there's a peeve of mine...why call it a gratuity if it's automatically added?

Here is a bar menu to refer to:

http://zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

The prices might be slightly different but not much.

I was really excited to try the Taste Bar, and it did not disappoint. They had it 4 nights out of the cruise, and it was delicious each time. I recommend stopping by for a little bit before or after dinner. There was rarely a line.

DSC02447_zpse547664f.jpg

I had emailed Carnival months prior to the cruise asking for a table for 2 for dinner. They told me they would try, but couldn't guarantee it. I'm not really sure why they can't guarantee something like that...Royal Caribbean was able to do it for us on our last cruise. Anyway, we got to the Platinum dining room just before 6 and there was a huge mob of people waiting to get in. That wasn't the case after the first night.

We got to our table to find that it was a table for 6, not 2. I was slightly disappointed, but it was no big deal. Our tablemates didn't talk much, but they were nice.

I was very excited to find a towel animal in our room each night. That was something I missed on our last cruise with Royal Caribbean.

DSC02449_zps78bd7e75.jpg

We decided to check out the Dive In movies since they were playing National Treasure. It's a bit chilly out there, so bring a blanket or a beach towel to cover up with. They even have popcorn! Sadly, the screen went black part way through the movie, though there was still sound. So, we decided to leave.

DSC02451_zpsf2a06bb1.jpg

DSC02455_zps0699361f.jpg

We checked out the EA Sports Bar for the first of many times this cruise. The bartender, Danuel, gave us a sample of Thirsty Frog Red. We loved it! You can order pitchers, so we did. It was about $20.

DSC02458_zps1943e3aa.jpg

We went to the Welcome Aboard show with our cruise director Jacques. Coming from a cruise with the infamous Richard Spacey as our cruise director, Jacques was disappointing. It's not his fault though. :p

We checked out the comedy show at the Ebony Cabaret. Darren Sanders was the first comedian. I was falling asleep though, so we left. Be aware that they do check IDs to see that people are over 18. I think it should be over 17...but that's just my opinion.

Great start! We are on Glory in August so I'm reading everything I can about the ship.

Keep it coming!:D

By the way where exactly you get a popcorn for the movies? At the bar or they have a stand somewhere by the pool?

Edited by Aldeya

Great start! We have always cruised the carribbean so i am looking forward to seeing your review. One of our favorite land vacations ever was in new Port, RI so we are all about going back to the area :)

There were so many cutbacks for the main show... No live band compared to the Explorer we were on in April. Sets for the background were just lights.

One night no show except for the Hasbro game at 7:30...

I agree with the cruise director compared to Spacey. He rocks!!! Spacey is the king of cruise directors!

There were so many cutbacks for the main show... No live band compared to the Explorer we were on in April. Sets for the background were just lights.

One night no show except for the Hasbro game at 7:30...

I agree with the cruise director compared to Spacey. He rocks!!! Spacey is the king of cruise directors!

When in April were you on the Explorer? That's when we went too! We set sail on March 31st.

Before moving on to Maine, I wanted to mention that I have the Fun Times for each day as well as the room service menu if anyone has questions about those.

We arrived in Portland around 7AM. My cousin lives in Cape Elizabeth, which is very nearby, so she met us. We decided to visit the Portland Head Light. It was only about a 15 minute drive from the port. It was absolutely beautiful there. There are trails you can walk on and get great views of the lighthouse and the ocean. There is also a playground if you have children.

DSC02475_zps4a9600b5.jpg

We went back into Portland and went into a couple of shops. If you like frozen yogurt, be sure to stop in Go Berry. Their froyo is DELICIOUS!!

This was our first elegant night, so we got dressed up and had a nice dinner. The prime rib was pretty disappointing though.

Great review. Looking forward to the rest. Would love to see a copy of the Fun Times for a Sea day. We will be on the Glory in Oct. and MIL would like to see the activities.

I 'm a teacher like you Narrow so I was on the Easter cruise in April leaving Easter Sunday... The EOS is a fantastic ship and we were so lucky to have the great S as our cruise director.

Keep up your review. Even though we were on the same ship it's great to see feedback.

The EOS next year is doing Bermuda (5) which I'm tired of but there other ship (smaller at 77,000 tons) out of Baltimore is doing the same route as the cruise in 2013.

Great review. Looking forward to the rest. Would love to see a copy of the Fun Times for a Sea day. We will be on the Glory in Oct. and MIL would like to see the activities.

Ditto! I would like to see the show times to see if I need to adjust the Steakhouse reservations.

I 'm a teacher like you Narrow so I was on the Easter cruise in April leaving Easter Sunday... The EOS is a fantastic ship and we were so lucky to have the great S as our cruise director.

Keep up your review. Even though we were on the same ship it's great to see feedback.

The EOS next year is doing Bermuda (5) which I'm tired of but there other ship (smaller at 77,000 tons) out of Baltimore is doing the same route as the cruise in 2013.

We were on the same cruise then! :-D

Someone asked about the show times so I'll include those. For Day 2 in Portland they had Motor City at 8:15 and 10:15. We didn't go since it was the same show on the Pride last summer. Now on to Saint John!

We arrived in Saint John around 8AM. Our excursion wasn't until 12:30, so we had breakfast in the Red Sail buffet. The food was all good and warm, and there was a good variety.

If it makes you feel better, safety drills were held for the crew in the morning.

We had signed up for the Moosehead Pub Crawl online. It was EXCELLENT. We met our tour guide, Terry Keleher, in the cruise terminal at 12:30. He was dressed to impress.

DSC02537_zpsd9c94dd2.jpg

We went to Steamers, Big Tide, and O'Leary's. I must say it was a great time. We got samples at each bar as well as a whole beer of our choice. At our last stop, O'Leary's, there was a guy playing songs on a guitar. It is A LOT of alcohol in a short period of time, so beware of that. :p When we went back to the ship I slept until it was time for the Love and Marriage show.

DSC02541_zps10b774a5.jpg

DSC02545_zps92bff616.jpg

The Love and Marriage (10:15) show questions were identical to those on the Pride last summer. Jacques also used the same "hooker in the missionary position" joke that Jamie did on the Pride...it was overall kind of disappointing.

After having a little too much fun in St. John, I was happy to have a relaxing day at sea! I had a breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana. It was good, but I probably wouldn't get another one. It was a chilly morning, but sunny.

The Fun Times had several typos during the week. This day was a big one. It said it was an elegant night, but the schedule of the week we had been given ahead of time said Friday would be. I called guest services and they verified it would be Friday. A lot of people were dressed up at dinner that night!

We decided to check out the Punchliner Brunch for lunch. It was VERY disappointing! There were few options for lunch. I settle on mac and cheese with steak on it. The mac and cheese was very soupy. The steak was delicious...I think it had been cooked in a crock pot...if they even have those on board. :p The comedian only came out for about 2 minutes...I really think they should have stuck with the regular old breakfast and lunch separately.

Jacques announced a couple of times that there were whales on the starboard sign. We saw one!! It was pretty far in the distance, but it was so awesome!

DSC02594_zps66846a9e.jpg

The Playlist Production Show this night was Divas. It was at 8:15 or 10:15. My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised with this! Although a couple of the singers were terribly off key, it was great for the most part.

This was the first night we really noticed that we could hear the piano sing along below our room. (6459) Fortunately, I had brought ear plugs. My husband wasn't so lucky.

DSC02596_zps774ce3fe.jpg

I was wondering why so many people were dressed up that night!!

I would think they'd proofread those things for big errors...or at least make an announcement!

Edited by narrow56

We had purchased an excursion at 8:30 for Halifax and Peggy's Cove. We waited in a short line then boarded an air conditioned bus. Our tour guide, Florence, gave us a lot of great information. It took about an hour to get to Peggy's Cove. We had an hour to look around the town. We probably could have spent more time there, but an hour seemed to be enough. The little town is really beautiful, as is the lighthouse. There really isn't much to do other than walk around and go in the gift shops. You can get your passport stamped here, so make sure you bring it!

DSC02612_zps6a8e46ff.jpg

DSC02641_zpse55685e1.jpgDSC02629_zps1280be97.jpg

After the hour was up, we got back on the bus and took a different route back to Halifax, learning more information. I loved it! If you do the earlier tour, you'll have plenty of time to wander around the port. We didn't really do much other than take a short walk down the Harborwalk. There is also a farmers' market right by the port.

We got back on the ship for lunch and got Guys' Burgers. They are DEFINITELY worth the hype! We also won a ship on a stick playing Comedy Sound Clip trivia. :)

DSC02670_zps6435df75.jpg

We stopped into the Hasbro game show. It was so disappointing. I cannot believe that's a night of entertainment. It is for children, not adults.

Edited by narrow56

Were you able to say "hi" to our waiter from us?

No, sorry! There are just too many waiters on board to find just one. :p

Hi. I was on the cruise, too. So far, nice review. I look forward to more.

There was an announcement correcting the Fun Times re: the elegant night.

Also, I was lucky enough to be picked for the Hasbro game show, along with my nephew...

Hi. I was on the cruise, too. So far, nice review. I look forward to more.

There was an announcement correcting the Fun Times re: the elegant night.

Also, I was lucky enough to be picked for the Hasbro game show, along with my nephew...

Really? I never heard any announcement...must be tons of other people didn't either because there were many dressed up at dinner.

I'm sure the Hasbro game show is lots of fun if you're playing it or if you're a kid...but watching it as an adult was pretty boring. It shouldn't be a night of entertainment!

Sorry I went so long in between posts. I've been busy with my dad in the hospital, a reunion with my mom, and a wedding! Now onto Sydney!

We had no definite plans for Sydney. We had breakfast in the dining room. I enjoyed a ham and cheese omelette. They really do know how to make a good omelette!

If you're interested in the giant fiddle, you can see it right from the ship.

DSC02699_zps43a78746.jpg

We did our own historical walking tour. It probably would've been more interesting with a guide, but it was a nice relaxing time. We visited both the Jost House and Cossit House. It was really neat to take a step back in time.

After visiting the two houses we wandered around the town just in the ship's area. There are a lot of little shops, but they were packed with people. It's worth stopping in Cape Breton Fudge Co. You can buy 6 blocks of fudge for $20. That makes for a good souvenir for family back home!

DSC02705_zpsef4b36ae.jpg

DSC02708_zps07e87402.jpg

We got back on the ship and had Guys burgers again for lunch. I wish I could have another right now!! They're just so good.

DSC02727_zpsf9db7416.jpg

We had reservations for dinner at the Emerald Steakhouse. It is really a must do! The service is excellent, as is the food. My husband and I both had the filet mignon and the chocolate sampler. The French onion soup is delicious too...they really pile up the cheese. Be sure if you go you go hungry!!

DSC02730_zps2c57e22d.jpg

DSC02732_zpsc438403e.jpg

The production show as Latin Nights at 8:15 and 10:15. We were pretty sure we saw it on the Pride last summer, so we skipped it.

We did catch a comedy show in the Ebony Cabaret. Happy Cole was the comedian we saw. He was hilarious! I really dislike the way the comedy club is run. The room is just too small to hold the amount of people who want to go! That seemed to be a common complaint from what I heard.

We tried the Punchliner Brunch for breakfast. I had seen the Funny French Toast on the menu when we went for lunch, and it sounded interesting. It was pretty disappointing. I got the honey nut cheerio kind. The cheerios were kind of soggy...I thought it was going to be more ground up I guess and made into a crust. I don't recommend it.

We had to spend a little more time in the EA Sports Bar, just one last time. Vlada and Danuel were excellent the entire cruise. Vlad even let me pick the special for the day. I picked The MVP. That's Crown Royal, Peach Schnapps, and Cranberry Juice...it's my new favorite drink!

DSC02742_zps831ec3d2.jpg

We had burritos for lunch. It was the Chocolate Extravaganza this day. People go crazy for chocolate!

DSC02738_zps59bf306b.jpg

I was kind of surprised that there was no farewell show...that's something there has been on every cruise we've gone on. They did have a talent show at 10PM, but we didn't go. Another night of no big entertainment from Carnival.

Instead of the talent show, we saw some more comedy. The Assistant Cruise Director, Sean, was the host for this. He is an extremely annoying man, in my opinion. He repeat the exact same spiel at the beginning of every single comedy show. I mean come on! Switch things up a little bit. Nobody cares that your mother doesn't like dirty comedy.

A couple of final notes...

1. The CD was not visible during this cruise. We only saw him when we went to the theater. I guess we were spoiled since our last cruise had Richard Spacey and before that we had Jamie Dietsch on the Pride.

2. We didn't see the captain of the ship once.

3. I now see what everyone means when they say the entertainment on Carnival is sub par.

4. You get what you pay for...and I really enjoyed this cruise. I think that the value was higher than what we paid for. You can't beat a week long cruise for less than $900 for two people!

5. The Glory is a BEAUTIFUL ship, and I recommend it to anyone.

That's all folks. I hope you enjoyed my review, and found it helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have!