Question About GC Shopping

agp_mzk

We'll be in Grand Cayman on the 7th (Tropical Storm Dorian permitting :cool:) on the Paradise. We're scheduled to be in port from 8-3 ship's time, which I believe is 7-2 GC time. We have an excursion booked through the ship at 9:30 that is supposed to last three hours. I'd also like to do a little shopping - rum, souvenirs, etc. I've read here that the duty free shops send alcohol purchases directly to the ship, and that there is a cut-off point for making these purchases. How soon before sailing is this point, typically? Will we have time for shopping after our excursion? I'm assuming that most shops won't be open in time for us to get our shopping done before the excursion...

go the Tortuga shop right at the dock where your tender comes in and go to your left. Buy before 11 am and there's an extra 11% discount. Prices are some of the best you will find on your cruise. Don't worry about the DF allowance as customs rarely charges if you are over especially if you sail from Lauderdale. Prices on most things are very high compared to other islands and the $ is only worth about 80c Cayman.

Thank you for that information about the Tortuga shop. I'm just looking to pick up a few small bottles of local rum and one or two small trinkets - shot glass, Christmas ornament, etc. Do you have any idea what time that shop may open? With our excursion starting at 8:30 am GC time, I don't think we'll be able to get there until the afternoon.

Archived