Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I have been away for a few weeks, and off this board. People here are talking about current cruisers in Europe, and upcoming holiday cruises, yet the HAL booklet referenced by the OP says this new wine policy doesn't go into effect until 1/2014. So, it was officially written, but still does not go into effect until 1/2014??

The new wine policy was announced and implemented overnight.

After a few days and a huge outcry, especially the point that passengers had booked under one policy and now unfairly had no choice in the matter, HAL backtracked about the date. The new implementation date is January 31, 2014.

I have been away for a few weeks, and off this board. People here are talking about current cruisers in Europe, and upcoming holiday cruises, yet the HAL booklet referenced by the OP says this new wine policy doesn't go into effect until 1/2014. So, it was officially written, but still does not go into effect until 1/2014??

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered. Just made final payment today on a December cruise, and we do like to bring a few special bottles.

The reference to upcoming holiday cruises could have been about the Explore4 Program, which will be available for holiday cruises and 2014 cruises. You can still bring your few special bottles on your cruise in December, because the new wine policy won't go into effect until January 31, 2014.

That would be upsetting to us. I am looking forward to some special wines on the veranda, and recognize this will be the last time, but it was a factor when I booked last month.

HAL needs some new PR and management, IMHO. Well, now I think I will bring more wine than usual, it brings out the anti-authoritarian in me!

Thanks Ruth, I really wanted to know. I just now made final payment on ten day Dec 6 Noordam, right before I got on the boards. When I booked the new policy was slated to go into effect 1/2014. Thanks for clarifying it for me!

So, steering this thread slightly....

What are the alternatives? Who allows me to bring on more than 1-2 bottles per person and/or stateroom?

From what I've been able to gleam from scanning this whole thread and other sources is my choices are NCL and Princess. And they hit you right at the gangway for a rather reasonable $15 corkage. Or you step it up to Crystal/Regent/Seaboard class of ship and pay another $2K or more per person.

And before we start going down the list of who offers an "all you can drink beverage plan", I believe most of the sentiment of those of us who are upset about the carry-on policy is not from the viewpoint of gluttony and being able to drink as much as we what, but rather being able to drink *what* we want.

Many of us are very "wine aware" and are insulted at $5-8 bottles being sold for well over $50.

Thoughts?

My wife and I are in the planning stages for "Vacation 2015" so we're trying to figure out which direction to go...

The only options for us were PCL, X, or NCL...

Azamara, Seabourn, Silverseas and Oceania are so small the schedule is so restrictive, no dates worked for us, at all.

BUT-- There is a lot of value in what they offer...

We first booked the Royal,

But i had so many issues with the cold room service (compared to HAL) i just could not do it... Even though we could bring whatever type of wine we wanted.

So then we booked the silhouette, and an Aquaclass cabin on the hump with a very large balcony and i was much happier with the amazing room service menu for Aquaclass and suites that we stuck with them for 2015. The wine menu on this ship is very very large. We. Looking at HALs menu side by side with X, X is three times larger. Many more by the glass options. We live near 100 year old vines, and within 12 minutes of nearly 40 wineries, so yes i am very picky.

Lastly the kicker was on our b2b caribbean was that our beverage package was included free as a perk.

Why is this important?

For those talking about gluttony and quantity, are you kidding me?

Has it ever occurred to you, to keep tasting the wine that is offered, until you find the ones you like?! That my friends is the big deal behind unlimited. Not so you can get plastered, but so you can FIND what you like. If its over $12, lets say $15, then you only need to pay the $2 difference...

I am also going to enjoy the cafe and bottled beverages and smoothies it offers...

Anyhow, its a shame that HALs beverage package is structured the way it is. Nothing over $7, you can not pay the difference, (there are only house reds at $7) and it is not unlimited. We are still going to do it now that bottled drinks and explorations cafe beverages are included. It will be nice to not have a bar bill. It will pay for itself, and sadly we will still have to bring our own wines because of the way it is structured....

Looking forward to 2015, our Aquaclass cabin, with the amazing room service menu, Blu the private restaurant, (you can also get whatever you want from MDR) and being able to keep trying wines by the glass till we find what we like.

The value for the money was to hard to pass up, and HAL has not and apparently does not plan to change their itineraries and we are tired of going to the same place every year. We will miss HAL ambiance, and the Retreat. But the forced us to vote with our wallets...

My advice for you Crule? If you are open and flexible to something that is not a cruise...I send alot of clients to Sandals and Secrets and they really love it. All inclusive, and you can bring any wine you want. Great value. That is, if you are looking for a tropical vacation. If you are looking at a cold weather vacation, Club Med has a lot of offerings...

When cruising the Caribbean in Oct or early Nov, we can only do PCL, X, or NCL. We are very limited by our dates. :(

Who knows, here is hoping the petition works.

Edited by surfergirle

Well I got in on the tail end. A friend and I were looking at doing the Pacific Coast cruise in September 2014 and were trying to decide between NCL and HAL. I have been sailing on NCL the last year and been very happy. She has done HAL. I was going to ask for advice on which is better but I think I will lean toward NCL with this. Last cruise with NCL DH and I took on 4 bottles of very nice wine and just paid the corkage. A glass apiece each evening while sitting on our balcony was so nice.

Well I got in on the tail end. A friend and I were looking at doing the Pacific Coast cruise in September 2014 and were trying to decide between NCL and HAL. I have been sailing on NCL the last year and been very happy. She has done HAL. I was going to ask for advice on which is better but I think I will lean toward NCL with this. Last cruise with NCL DH and I took on 4 bottles of very nice wine and just paid the corkage. A glass apiece each evening while sitting on our balcony was so nice.

For one glass of wine a day, I should think it much easier to buy on board. I do not understand why anyone would drag a case of ANYTHING on board ship--water, soft drinks, wine or spirits.

I think it would be easier to buy it than drag cases on board. But then, I love having the waiters know what wine I drink by the second day and bring it to me with a smile! Feels as though you are at home at the club!

Debi

Good luck with that:D Are you talking wine stewards or your servers? Either one, it's often hard to get a drink these days.

But then, I love having the waiters know what wine I drink by the second day and bring it to me with a smile! Feels as though you are at home at the club!

It used to be that way on HAL---every ship, every time. Now, the Prinsendam is the only HAL ship left where that's SOP.

I find the posts about bad drink service curious as that was not our experience in March, on our 14-day Westerdam cruise. We never had any trouble getting a waiter for a drink at the aft pool. Never. Same for the Crows Nest and other bar areas. In the MDR (contrary to what I read on CC) the wine steward brought DH his Grolsch and me a diet soda or glass of wine every night. After several days I remarked to him that I thought wine stewards didn't provide that service anymore. He looked at me like I was from outer space. :eek: Apparently he didn't get the memo. We have no complaints about HAL's drink service.

I find the posts about bad drink service curious as that was not our experience in March, on our 14-day Westerdam cruise. We never had any trouble getting a waiter for a drink at the aft pool. Never. Same for the Crows Nest and other bar areas. In the MDR (contrary to what I read on CC) the wine steward brought DH his Grolsch and me a diet soda or glass of wine every night. After several days I remarked to him that I thought wine stewards didn't provide that service anymore. He looked at me like I was from outer space. :eek: Apparently he didn't get the memo. We have no complaints about HAL's drink service.

My observations exactly. It seems some folks that are so put out by HAL's wine policy change, and I am one of them, are extending their dissatisfaction by condemning the service staff. Of course on the smaller ships and extended voyages, the servers will get to know your names and drink choices. But to expect the same same service on a two week cruise with 2,000 guests seems unreasonable to me. Yes, in a crowded bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, I've, at times, experienced some pretty bad service but I don't let it color my overall opinion of the bar staff.

We have also never had a problem with service from either the waiters or the wine stewards in any bar or dining room.

I have never had bad beverage service on a HAL ship, aside from the minor irritations I notice during Happy Hour because the bartenders arent ready for all of those people.

I wonder, will we still get the same great service, when paying the $1432 for the flat rate beverage package and it has already been paid in full?

I wonder why, if a person likes something, they "carry" or "bring" it aboard. If it's something they aren't interested in bringing aboard, others "schlepp", "lug", or "drag" aboard.

Not me. I love wine and happily schlep, lug and drag it on board. :p

We were on the first day of a 31 day cruise from Vancouver, B.C., to Sydney where we met these crazy Canadians who emptied out their roll aboards the first day, and then the second day, when we were in Seattle, took them ashore, along with their towels, so they could fill them with wine to cover them for their crossing. They were big time HAL cruisers and I doubt that they will be very happy with the new policy.

On our TA next month, I fully intend to stock up on as much wine as I think we might need for our trip. Then, unless HAL changes their "new" policy we are back to Cunard or Princess.

Well to clarify seeing as I've been somewhat flamed:rolleyes:.... we did not order any wine in the MDR on our last cruise, however on the same ship a week or so before a friend had problems getting a glass of wine, and another could not get the wine steward to bring the bottle they had purchased the night before, when he finally did they were at the dessert stage. My daughter also observed the same situation when she was on the Zuiderdam, where her table neighbours gave up and left without ever getting their bottle.

I don 't just pull it from nowhere, just relating what I've heard from reliable sources.... and read on here.:cool:

Well to clarify seeing as I've been somewhat flamed:rolleyes:.... we did not order any wine in the MDR on our last cruise, however on the same ship a week or so before a friend had problems getting a glass of wine, and another could not get the wine steward to bring the bottle they had purchased the night before, when he finally did they were at the dessert stage. My daughter also observed the same situation when she was on the Zuiderdam, where her table neighbours gave up and left without ever getting their bottle.

I don 't just pull it from nowhere, just relating what I've heard from reliable sources.... and read on here.:cool:

While not on the Z it has been a pita to get my wine that I purchased from Hal. The last several ships I've been on the service has been dismal even though many times they were standing around doing nothing. I wish I was as lucky as some folks. It does happen even though it never happens to them. I remember years ago complaining about a bad cabin steward only to be told that doesn't happen. Only when it happens to some folks is it valid. The rest of us are unimportant.

Edited by lorekauf

While not on the Z it has been a pita to get my wine that I purchased from Hal. The last several ships I've been on the service has been dismal even though many times they were standing around doing nothing. I wish I was as lucky as some folks. It does happen even though it never happens to them. I remember years ago complaining about a bad cabin steward only to be told that doesn't happen. Only when it happens to some folks is it valid. The rest of us are unimportant.

That's reassuring. Not. HAL limits the wine policy....yet can't even do the right thing bringing wine to tables or managing their wine stewards??? What's wrong with this picture?

Seems to me since they don't have their act together with the wine stewards, they should be grateful to those of us who bring on and manage our own!

How ironic...just as we're reaching 4 star, I'm having to look at other cruise lines who are more accommodating.