Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Correct. People bringing on lots of wine for private parties was hurting the bottom line.

I took a case of wine on board our first cruise to celebrate with my husband's classmates. It was a high school reunion cruise and we had the party suite. If I hadn't been able to bring the wine on board, I wouldn't have had the party, so it had no effect at all on the bottom line.

Well, actually it did. If I hadn't had the party I would have booked a balcony instead of a suite.

Good points. However if you went to a vegetarian forum and the pages were clogged with posts on Mcdonalds and Jack In The Box...it might be slightly bothersome.

???? How does that relate?

This is not a board for discussion by cruisers who don't drink wine, this is a board for the discussion of the concerns of alll cruisers. Obviously a lot of HAL cruisers are very concerned about the new wine policy right now.

Best to live and let live.

I took a case of wine on board our first cruise to celebrate ... If I hadn't been able to bring the wine on board, I wouldn't have had the party, so it had no effect at all on the bottom line.
Your group wouldn't have celebrated with an un-hosted gathering somewhere where HAL would have sold wine and cocktails? I doubt that. ;) Edited by jtl513

This is becoming quite worn! I am not going to keep up this pissing contest. Have a fabulous day!
Pissing contest? I'm agreeing with you that the unlimited policy was hurting HAL's bottom line. What you don't seem to want to acknowledge is that much of the large quantities brought on board was for private parties, not personal consumption.

Family fine, but you said:

I believe people bringing cases of wine aboard for parties was the primary reason that HAL decided to change the policy, so they have spoiled it for everyone.

Several years ago a couple who checked in ahead of us had two cases of wine on a dolly..They carried it aboard themselves..We drive to the port & checked in with our four bottle wine bag, which contained

3 bottles of wine & a diet tonic for me...733432_small.jpg

Instead of blaming Psgrs. for taking advantage of the policy, we should be blaming HAL for not limiting the amount of wine Psgrs could bring on board & charging a corkage fee as several other carriers do even if consumed in our cabins..

Instead, HAL has banned all of us from bringing even one bottle on board from special wine countries! :( And, we all are all annoyed because no one in HAL had the foresight to make a wine policy which would be both beneficial to HAL's bottom line & still have some happy Psgrs..

JMO Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Several years ago a couple who checked in ahead of us had two cases of wine on a dolly...

Instead of blaming Psgrs. for taking advantage of the policy, we should be blaming HAL for not limiting the amount of wine Psgrs could bring on board & charging a corkage fee as several other carriers do even if consumed in our cabins..

I have no gripe with anyone who brought on 2 or 3 cases of wine for their personal consumption. That's not "taking advantage" or abusing the policy, that's following it. My gripe is with those who brought on large quantities to host parties rather than for personal consumption. That's breaking the rules IMO. Edited by jtl513

I have no gripe with anyone who brought on 2 or 3 cases of wine for their personal consumption. That's not "taking advantage" or abusing the policy, that's following it. My gripe is with those who brought on large quantities to host parties rather than for personal consumption. That's breaking the rules IMO.

Now, see here's we can agree to disagree. We have never put a tag on a case of wine in my life - always carry on. BUT I do invite people to my cabin - whether they bring their own that they brought or they drink mine it makes no difference. It is personal consumption. I also have 2 bottles of HAL's liquor and a couple of their red wines.

Had I not been able to host people I would not have taken an upsell on my last cruise. Whether they bring theirs or drink mine it is still personal consumption in the stateroom (or PS;))

What is it with these people whining about Wine Policy discussions or campaigns? What happens when they want support for something that affects them?

It's easy enough to avoid these discussions if you don't like them - just don't return to the thread once you know what it's about and stick with what does interest you.

Mumsy.

What is it with these people whining about Wine Policy discussions or campaigns? What happens when they want support for something that affects them?

It's easy enough to avoid these discussions if you don't like them - just don't return to the thread once you know what it's about and stick with what does interest you.

Mumsy.

Too much logic and tolerance in that statement there friend, a fine habit to cultivate in a wide, varied, and colorful society. Keeping my trap shut when I have nothing to contribute has probably kept me from making a horse's derriere of myself more than once. :D;)

Mumsy.

Absolutely. Thanks for the voice of reason, Mumsy.

Like unlimited sodas/water...

I don't drink any alcohol so I have no "dog in this fight." But I'm not stupid, nor blind to the idea that the soda policy may be next on the chopping block. And I can identify because HAL does not (reliably) stock any of the 3 sodas I like - the choices they have just won't do.

To me the issues with the new wine policy are the suddenness with which it was initially implemented, and the severity of one bottle pp regardless of length of cruise and ports visited, esp if the ports include winery tours in their list of shore excursions.

Re: the corkage fee, I can translate that to a fee on each case of soda I bring aboard, say a third or half of the fee on each bottle of wine (figure pulled out of the air for illustration). I would prefer to not have to pay it but my second choice is to pay it so I can bring what I want, not deny me the choices I want.

There are umpteen more variations of wine than soda and it's unlikely that cruise lines can carry every single selection of either so letting people bring what they want is a good idea. As they believe this affects on board revenue, I understand why they would attach a fee. I do not understand why they would expect passengers to spend a week or a month or a season without their preferred beverages.

Like unlimited sodas/water...

I don't drink any alcohol so I have no "dog in this fight." But I'm not stupid, nor blind to the idea that the soda policy may be next on the chopping block. And I can identify because HAL does not (reliably) stock any of the 3 sodas I like - the choices they have just won't do.

I had not considered that point of view before but it is a good one. I am not a soda drinker (I might have a Coke once a month) and we generally just buy bottled water for ports and use tap on the ship. But sure, your scenario is possible. Your point about lack of variety and the alternative of being able to bring on what you like with an appropriate fee being charged is a good one most especially if the alternative is simply doing without (and creating a less fun holiday experience) or finding another cruise or vacation option.

HAL has seen my last cruise after 8 consecutive ones because of this new policy. Booked NCL this year because they still allow unlimited wine brought aboard with only a $15 corkage fee. Bye bye HAL

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Edited by terrydtx

JMO Betty

That would make too much sense. Management, in many fields today, choose to make the easy fix. Instead of focusing on the perceived grievance and developing policy to deal with it, management initiates a "broad brush" policy and ignores the unintended consequences. Frankly, however, I'm not convinced that the few instances of guests bringing multiples cases aboard had anything to do with the change in policy. I never witnessed this nor these so called wine parties but, then again, I failed to qualify for the wine police.

Hi all

there is a petition to change the wine policy - this is online and its free (although it looks like once you submit you need to donate - you do not have to)

please sign and share with others - maybe if we get enough signatures it will change or at least make then revisit the policy

we have taken long cruises and enjoy local wines (as well as bringing wine on board - happy to pay corkage)

http://www.zzz.com/petition

thanks!

Patrice

Edited by Host Walt
Remove unauthorized link

Hi all

there is a petition to change the wine policy - this is online and its free (although it looks like once you submit you need to donate - you do not have to)

please sign and share with others - maybe if we get enough signatures it will change or at least make then revisit the policy

we have taken long cruises and enjoy local wines (as well as bringing wine on board - happy to pay corkage)

http://www.zzz.com/petition

thanks!

Patrice

Do you seriously think this will change their minds? :rolleyes:The only way to change HAL policy is to do like I did, send them a letter telling them you will boycott sailing on their line for a few years. This can only be changed through economic loss to them from their customers. I love HAL but refuse to ever spend one more dime until they change this policy to what it was before. I bet HAL management never reads this silly petition just like the way the fools who run our country do. I pointed out in my letter to HAL that I booked a cruise this year on NCL instead of my 9th HAL cruise all because of the new wine policy.

Edited by Host Walt
remove unathorized site

Do you seriously think this will change their minds? :rolleyes:The only way to change HAL policy is to do like I did, send them a letter telling them you will boycott sailing on their line for a few years.

We can't know if the petition, along with letters, e-mails, and Facebook entries, will change their minds unless we try.

I do know that it was worth a few minutes of my time to sign.

Signing a petition can't hurt---might help.

Do you seriously think this will change their minds? :rolleyes:The only way to change HAL policy is to do like I did, send them a letter telling them you will boycott sailing on their line for a few years. This can only be changed through economic loss to them from their customers. I love HAL but refuse to ever spend one more dime until they change this policy to what it was before. I bet HAL management never reads this silly petition just like the way the fools who run our country do. I pointed out in my letter to HAL that I booked a cruise this year on NCL instead of my 9th HAL cruise all because of the new wine policy.

Most of us who signed the petition also wrote to HAL. It certainly cannot hurt to do both, and take just a few seconds.

Do you seriously think this will change their minds? :rolleyes:The only way to change HAL policy is to do like I did, send them a letter telling them you will boycott sailing on their line for a few years.

"Do you seriously think this will change their minds?"

"Do you seriously think this will change their minds?"

May not change their minds but you will get a lovely letter from the "Office of the President" (likely from Christine Ferris).

This will let you know that Holland America is 140 years old , has five star dining, award winning entertainment, impeccable ships, and is one of the highest rated cruise lines.

They will assure you that your letter has been forwarded to senior management for review.

It's really a lovely form letter that it seems everyone that writes HAL gets. There are the obligatory "insert here" areas to make it personal.

Yes I know that I sound snarky and sarcastic; probably because I have received a few of these letters recently while trying to resolve a major issue.