Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I am not saying that HAL should have every wine that I like - and I don't think others are either - they need to improve their wine list.

fortunately we all have choices :D

I agree completely,

For those of us that are this far into our booking, we have no choice. :(

It is shady and dishonest to the people who gave money in good faith, and moved mountains to make travel arrangements.

Next year? Choices abound.

I agree, we are not wanting HAL to carry everything, just to compete.

Edited by surfergirle

Re the Cruise Contract. That's not the Cruise Contract I agrred to when I booked my next 4 cruises (one of which is in a couple of weeks) or when I made final payment for two of them. You lawyers out there - can they change the terms of a contract just like that?

And is HAL going to be notifying all the booked passengers of this change?

It depends on what the contract you agreed to says. It may very well say something like "these terms and conditions are subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of HAL." If so, then the answer to your question is, unfortunately, yes.

Finally, a policy from Seattle that I wholeheartedly agree with! It's about time.

If HAL's alcohol policy was the main reason why you booked HAL, then the line should have changed it years ago.

HAL's wine list has always offered a fine variety at some decent price points. The mark up has gotten worse over the years as fewer people spend money aboard. But there are some excellent bottles in the $30-$40 range. Those who keep comparing to price at home clearly have never ordered wine in a restaurant.

And some of you who claim HAL's choices aren't up to snuff aren't exactly drinking what winosaurs consider the upper crust. In fact, someone recently posted a vintage that costs $7 at home. Not a bad wine. But not exactly a great wine.

And HAL has some excellent Washington State and Oregon choices.

A giant attaboy for the gang in Seattle. I shall not miss watching the scurry of packing bottles into luggage in the lobby of Pier 66.

Wow, oh wow. Lisa, is THIS the shocking change you said was coming this Fall, or is there more???

Yes this was the shocking change I knew was coming except I thought it was another month away yet. But knew it could happen very soon.

Just thinking if the new policy going to force some people to pack wine the illegal way as I heard that before. Like packing wine in grape juice jugs. And vodka in sprite bottles.... LoL

Who started this thread :). ? Bring em ova here :)

Edited by Thebes

Going to be an awful lot of red mouthwash coming aboard.

Really. If you don't want to buy a few bottles aboard, should you really be cruising?

Welcome to the United States of credit card debit and people spending way above and beyond their means. It will happen my friend mariner. I believe in paying cash for things but that is not what I hear on the news.

That is not true. They provide glasses unless you drink straight from the bottle. They also provide you with the ability to chill the wine should you choose to do so. And they provide disposal services for the empty bottle, cork, foil. They also provide you a place to enjoy the wine, usually with a fairly decent view. It's not nothing.

All of those things are provided whether or not someone brings their own wine on board, and I believe everyone gets the fairly decent view included with their cruise fare. Under your theory, then HAL should also charge fees to those who bring their own water and soft drinks. Maybe HAL should look into that as their next policy change.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

This is a disappointment. When we did our Med cruise, we bought local wine at most ports, some to have on our balcony and some to bring to the MDR and pay corkage. We had also purchased a wine package for sea days and some ports where we didn't bring wine aboard, and agree the choices are limited, especially when comparing to the list posted for Celebrity. It is not an option for us to purchase these great wines in Europe to bring home. When we return to Canada, we have limits that we can bring across the border, and although we can bring 2 bottles each, we would have missed out on many wonderful wines.

Oh yes, and I asked my TA to pass on my comments too. At the moment she is trying to get me a price drop, which they are refusing - again. Ya think I'm a happy HAL customer right now?:(

We do not carry on wine as a rule. If you want to give us two bottles in April we would be happy to carry them aboard for you.

Going to be an awful lot of red mouthwash coming aboard.

Really. If you don't want to buy a few bottles aboard, should you really be cruising?

Really??? Who said people don't want to buy a few bottles on board - that's a big assumption you're making. We don't book inside cabins, we have a good sized bill when we leave and we buy plenty of bottles on board - our on board account is pretty dam good. We just like bringing on wines in Europe where there are vintages that we don't get here nor that HAL has - how hard is that to get??

It doesn't mean we don't buy their wine in the MDR or the bars - it just means we like to sample local ones. And would happily pay a corkage fee if need be to do it

Don't make assumptions about people you don't know. You may like HAL's wine selection - especially the ones from the northern U.S. - I didn't find our $70 bottle of wine in the PG good nor the 2nd one we tried - so we don't care for them - there are many better choices for us - Spain, France, Italy - anywhere but there. Subjective of course but when you're in Rome..

Glad you're happy - but please don't judge people because they want to bring on a bottle of wine in ports - it has nothing to do with being cheap - it has to do with sampling the local culture and tastes. This applies to Europe and other such places like Australia - not your typical Caribbean cruise.

Smooth seas

I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with spending above my means. I have a very healthy retirement account and a very healthy savings account and no credit card debt. This is about being treated as an adult who chooses to travel in nice suites and bring onboard 7 bottles of my favorite wines to enjoy a hard earned cruise over dinner and does not in any way diminish what I spend onboard for family retreat cabanas, spa, photos, eating every night in specialty restaurants, tipping well above the norm and spending with HAL on bar set ups and bottled water, etc. This is a radical and insulting change in policy and set, I am sure, by Carnivore executives who continue to ruin HAL.

Thebes, I deliver the news. And yes it is sadly true.

And HAL should also ban bringing soft drinks and water aboard. Sorry folks. It aint Motel 6.

Agree on the soft drink part. I don't agree on the wine as people have a fav wine and HAL cannot carry it all and it ain't cool to force people to try a limited list of wine. Hence all the disgruntled folks on this forum. Plus the lack of communication from HAL to current bookings under the old rule. Simple!

hawkeye,

Ive never been in a restaurant with a liquor license that allows you to bring your own. Mind you, the Four Seasons in NYC allows you to store your own. It's about $15K a year to keep a cellar there. No corkage fee.

HAL's list is NOT limited. Can they carry every wine ever made? No. Can people find something close or better than what they drink? Yes. Ask the wine steward. Don't be shy. Tell him what you'd like to spend.

HAL dumped smoking policies and a lot of things on pax over the years. It happens.

Under your theory, then HAL should also charge fees to those who bring their own water and soft drinks. Maybe HAL should look into that as their next policy change.

The company has spent $ 400,000,000

Building a ship. Why wouldn't they sell you their soda and water and make a profit? It's not a non profit organization.

Just like you can't bring drinks to Yankee stadium etc. The owner of the team is counting on you to spend $12 for a Heineken that's how he pays for his players.

$2 for a water or soda in the middle of the ocean is still the best deal in town.

Finally, a policy from Seattle that I wholeheartedly agree with! It's about time.

If HAL's alcohol policy was the main reason why you booked HAL, then the line should have changed it years ago.

HAL's wine list has always offered a fine variety at some decent price points. The mark up has gotten worse over the years as fewer people spend money aboard. But there are some excellent bottles in the $30-$40 range. Those who keep comparing to price at home clearly have never ordered wine in a restaurant.

And some of you who claim HAL's choices aren't up to snuff aren't exactly drinking what winosaurs consider the upper crust. In fact, someone recently posted a vintage that costs $7 at home. Not a bad wine. But not exactly a great wine.

And HAL has some excellent Washington State and Oregon choices.

A giant attaboy for the gang in Seattle. I shall not miss watching the scurry of packing bottles into luggage in the lobby of Pier 66.

You my friend must have never had a GOOD bottle of wine!

mariner...I guess then you have not travelled everywhere.

If you visit Montreal, you will find many restaurants that not only allow you to bring your own wine...they encourage it. They charge a modest corkage fee.

This change to the regulations came about when business was slow and it was decided that this would encourage people to dine out more often. It worked, and worked very well.

Many small grocers, the ones that open late at night, in the restaurant districts started to carry wine - and many different varieties. One could actually pop out of the restaurant and buy another bottle if one so wished.

I really find it difficult for anyone to claim that HAL's wine list is either extensive or properly priced. It is not. We are not wine experts nor are we willing to pay large amounts. All we want is a medium priced Chilean, Argentinian, or perhaps US red. No such combination on HAL. Lots of them on Celebrity, and on Princess.

Edited by iancal

hawkeye,

Ive never been in a restaurant with a liquor license that allows you to bring your own. Mind you, the Four Seasons in NYC allows you to store your own. It's about $15K a year to keep a cellar there. No corkage fee.

Ahhh, those wonderful wine lockers. Like at Capital Grille. :)

What treats are stored in those little nooks. Sigh.......

Well . . . so much for Celebrity! Is this a conspiracy?

Re the wine packages - 3, 5, or 7 bottles: Can anyone tell me how I can find them on the website? We are booked on the Ryndam TA in November, and I initially did find the correct page, giving the prices and brands. But now when I try to pull it up again, all I get are bottle of hard liquor. No wine packages. What gives? Or, dire thought, has HAL also done away with those packages, too, and had just not gotten around to taking it off the "Indulgences" beverage list?

The wine packages are still listed under indulgences - after all the hard liquor packages.

HAL's list is NOT limited. Can they carry every wine ever made? No. Can people find something close or better than what they drink? Yes. Ask the wine steward. Don't be shy. Tell him what you'd like to spend.

HAL dumped smoking policies and a lot of things on pax over the years. It happens.

What is Pax please ?

Well, I think my wine cellar has some of the best bottles in the world. I bought a Rhone at $12 before Parker proclaimed it the best in the world and the price topped $100.

But I would never spend too much on a ship because their storage isn't exactly the best. That said, I'd rather spend $30 on an interesting find than $1,000 on an overpublicized bottle.