Travel insurance

Bob when getting quotes and you are going to 3 different countries which do you put down or does it matter? There is no place to list them all

Thanks Ellen

When I've used the website, it's always been Canada, Mexico, or Caribbean. The one time we did a transatlantic, our travel agent got the insurance.

Sometimes. I usually forget though. But I'm also younger and with no children and my health insurance covers me out of the country (through reimbursements).

I realize the importance, but I honestly just forget and then the cruise is around the corner and so I end up winging it.

I have also have credit cards that will cover trip interruption and lost luggage.

So the only thing would be the medical evacuation.

The nice thing about sites like Insuremytrip is that you can compare policies side by side and choose the one that suits you best.

For instance, we have to have a policy that covers pre-existing conditions for family members at home (elderly parents) and I want one with a very high medical/evacuation plan in case something happens to one of us that is life threatening or requires extensive hospitalization and evacuation.

Everyone's needs are different, so pick the plan that works for you. We could cover the basic costs of flights and the cruise without too much trouble, though of course it would hurt. We would be hard hit by the extremely unlikely, but always possible, true emergency that costs, say, $150,000--or more.

The nice thing about sites like Insuremytrip is that you can compare policies side by side and choose the one that suits you best.

For instance, we have to have a policy that covers pre-existing conditions for family members at home (elderly parents) and I want one with a very high medical/evacuation plan in case something happens to one of us that is life threatening or requires extensive hospitalization and evacuation.

Everyone's needs are different, so pick the plan that works for you. We could cover the basic costs of flights and the cruise without too much trouble, though of course it would hurt. We would be hard hit by the extremely unlikely, but always possible, true emergency that costs, say, $150,000--or more.

Well said!

Just a quick poll....

How many of you buy travel insurance ...

And who just wings it?

My hubby keeps telling me.. " what a waste"..... But I keep buying it....I have purchased it on all but 1 of my cruises and have actually used it once (trip interruption .. Hurricane Sandy)

Your husband may think its a waste of money, but some day you will need it and wished you had taken it....that day comes sooner or later for ALL of us!

Its never a waste of money, its piece of mind!!!

We always take insurance, used it 3 times, it is worth every penny!

Your husband may think its a waste of money, but some day you will need it and wished you had taken it....that day comes sooner or later for ALL of us!

Its never a waste of money, its piece of mind!!!

We always take insurance, used it 3 times, it is worth every penny!

Agree.

Spending thousands on a cruise, only to lose hundreds or thousands based on an unplanned unfortunate incident (like delayed flight or lost luggage, not to mention medical event) - makes $150 for insurance a no brainer.

When purchasing insurance, there are a number of options. Which do you usually choose? There is medical which appears to include evacuation. They are by far less expensive than the other options. There is also evacuation policies that are far more expensive. Haven't compared the details to see why the higher price. Maybe someone can elaborate. Then there are the package policies that are even more expensive however they only seem to add baggage delay or loss which most credit cards cover today.

Since the OP started with a more general question, maybe posters can be a little more specific on what coverage they go with. Seems the biggest concern for insurance purchase in this thread so far is the evacuation.

Some form of travel insurance, on short 7 day local stuff(cruises or Trips), I just use my Emergency Assistance plus from the Elks club or Military club. Yearly it is about $130 a year since my health care is covered abroad. On longer more expensive trips of over 3 weeks I buy the full travel insurance. Maybe I should not buy it but I feel better with it in remote locations.

PS My wife was in the hospital in Peru, for a full day, of tests, meds and oxygen, etc. I had a heck of a time getting BC to pay the bill or their portion of it or even address it. I would like to say please address what is the necessary procedure to have any insurance company pay you what is owed before you go.

The web site for the above mentioned Emergency assistance is if legal on here is

http://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com

Another thing to consider.....your health insurance.

Does your health insurance cover you out of network? Will it cover you in a foreign country? Will it cover emergency evacuation or any other type of medical transportation?

While we have excellent insurance ours does not cover us under some of those conditions. Therefore those expenses would be out of pocket.

Lots to think about , so for just a few dollars is worth not having to worry about those things!

Just a quick poll....

How many of you buy travel insurance ...

And who just wings it?

My hubby keeps telling me.. " what a waste"..... But I keep buying it....I have purchased it on all but 1 of my cruises and have actually used it once (trip interruption .. Hurricane Sandy)

Years ago, as a TA, I always urged guests to buy travel insurance.....especially my "mature" guests or with elderly parents. I was always surprised how many times it was used....even if just for damaged luggage.

If you can afford to walk away from you trip with a 100% loss and not be upset, maybe ok.

Youth does not protect you. I had a young couple driving to the airport...it was their honeymoon. They were in a car accident, she broke her leg. They had insurance. The elderly gentleman who took his grand daughter to Alaska. SHE fell and broke her hip. Insurance not only covered the medical evacuation from Juneau, but helped with the arrangements.

We always have it. So far for us it has only been for peace of mind, thankfully.

We did not always buy travel insurance but the last few years we have. Never had to use it until November of last year. Husband ended up in the hospital in Dominican Republic for a week. With the airlift off the ship in Haiti, medical treatment, flights to and from Dominican Republic, hotel and meals for me in Dominican Republic, we maxed all amounts available on our insurance. Luckily our medical insurance picked up what the travel insurance did not cover. Just the medical treatment on the ship and the hospital was almost $20,000. This is not including the airlift no ideal of the cost, $2000 in flights, $400 hotel, and $200 in food. We would be in the poor house without insurance. We will never spend more in premium for insurance than what we recouped from the claims.

I work for a large acute rehabilitation hospital. Part of my job is evaluating patients for admission to the Brain Injury unit of our facility.

The number of cases I receive via travel insurance companies are too many to count. This includes:

A patient who sustained a broken bone in another country, and ended up with a cardiac arrest during surgery, suffering a lack of oxygen to the brain. The patient required medical air evacuation to our hospital, back in the US.

A patient who fell while touring in Europe, sustained a head injury, had surgery but needed rehabilitation and air evacuation back to the US.

A patient who, while on a port of call, fell from the moped she was riding. Major head injury. This patient was only transported from the ship to Jacksonville Florida--the closest appropriate US hospital. Even though she lived in the northeast, the travel insurance she purchased did not have an "enhanced" medical evacuation rider; this family had to pay for the medical evacuation out of pocket back to their hometown area.

These air evacuations can cost $20K or more!!!

The travel insurance companies covered accommodations and transportation expenses for the patient's travel partner as well, plus, they made ALL of the necessary arrangements. Imagine having to do that during such a stressful time?

So. The long and the short of it:

1. Never would I travel without it.

2. I always purchase the enhanced medical part of the policy (it adds about $10 pp to the premium). Other wise, you will only be transported to the closest appropriate hospital stateside to where you were injured; not back to your home area hospital of choice.

Sorry for the long post, but I have seen the consequences, and they are not pretty.

Teddie

I will always have travel insurance when travelling abroad. Primarily for the medical cover as it could costs tens of thousands for medical bill and repatriation.

I receive my travel insurance automatically through my bank account so it is all sorted.

When I go out of the country, I buy travel insurance for the medical and evacuation coverage. I also buy it for trip delay for cruises - I want someone who can help me make alternative arrangements if I have trouble getting to the ship on time.

For domestic non-cruise travel, I usually don't buy it. My health insurance covers me anywhere in the states. And if I have to wait a few hours to get to my ultimate destination on a land-based vacation, it's not a big deal - all I'll lose is the cost of a hotel room.

Guest maddycat
For those of you who don't get it thru the cruiseline (that's where I get it) which company do you use?

We always buy travel insurance. We consider it part of the cost of cruising. We buy it soon after paying our cruise deposit (with in 21 days) so that the insurance cover pre-existing medical conditions.

We've been buying our travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their website is very informative and easy to understand. If we have any questions we either email or call one of their agents. They're very knowledgeable and helpful. Lately, we have been buying Travel Safe insurance. It's primary insurance.

***Trip Insurance Store***

Thanks for all the info here. I searched and the cheapest travel insurance I found (so far) is from Costco (for those in the US).

It's really worth the extra fee for peace of mind too.

Thanks for all the info here. I searched and the cheapest travel insurance I found (so far) is from Costco (for those in the US).

It's really worth the extra fee for peace of mind too.

We were just at Costco earlier today. Didn't realize they had travel ins. Will need to look into it further

For those of you who don't get it thru the cruiseline (that's where I get it) which company do you use?

We always buy the insurance and have had to use it once. Right after making final payment on a cruise, I had a medical emergency that prevented us taking the cruise and we had to cancel. Insurance reimbursed us.

Use Trip Insurance Store. You can checkout their website. We have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable in assisting us in getting the coverage needed for our circumstances. They are great to work with.

We have taken insurance on half our cruises and always through RCCL. In everyone's opinion, what are the most important coverages and limits you look for when getting the insurance. Getting or I guess at that magic age, it is really a risk for us not to have it but looking at some of the sites, the choices are endless and prices seem to range from $150 pp to $600 pp depending on what you choose.

Archived