So now that they've back-pedalled..

startwin

and finally responded - on their facebook page, at least - to clarify that the wine policy will not change until Jan 31, 2014 ...... we just need to keep on keeping on so that we can bring a bottle back onboard in ports.

And Lisa.... your contact who told you that the new policy was effective last Friday should maybe be checking with his/her superiors first;)

I would like to see pressure applied so that we can board with additional wine, even if it means we pay a corkage fee at check-in. So let's all just keep on with the pressure for them to revisit the change in policy, as it currently stands.

I would like to see pressure applied so that we can board with additional wine, even if it means we pay a corkage fee at check-in. So let's all just keep on with the pressure for them to revisit the change in policy, as it currently stands.

I'm with you on this. And we're not talking about "unlimited amount' of wine. At least something reasonable.

and finally responded - on their facebook page, at least - to clarify that the wine policy will not change until Jan 31, 2014 ...... we just need to keep on keeping on so that we can bring a bottle back onboard in ports.

And Lisa.... your contact who told you that the new policy was effective last Friday should maybe be checking with his/her superiors first;)

I printed my paperwork out this weekend and it was effective fri according to my documents. All the while I had wished i had printed them sooner. I think Lisa's contact was right on with the info given if you look at the paperwork printed out.

:)

Thanks! I haven't checked there in a few hours. This is great news for those who have cruises in 2013.

Still not happy for 2014, but keeping fingers crossed that they will change their mind about the ports issue if we keep on keeping on. :D

I printed my paperwork out this weekend and it was effective fri according to my documents. All the while I had wished i had printed them sooner. I think Lisa's contact was right on with the info given if you look at the paperwork printed out.

Yes I agree Lisa's contact may have been right at the time, but this is an example of why a major policy change such as this should be verified first. And HAL should have put out their official notice to ALL TAs. I firmly believe that they have indeed back-pedalled today and quite honestly I think the impact was more on facebook than on cruise critic - much more coverage there, and their page was plastered with this for two days.

We knew Lisa would somehow someway get thrown under the bus. It was inevitable.

IMO I believe Lisa's announcement was correct and thankfully gave us time to voice our strong displeasure and for Hal Headquarters to correct a poorly executed decision.

Now we should continue to voice our concerns of improving wine packages at reasonable cost.

Also believe the allowance of bringing limited wines from famous wine regions should be addressed.

no - her contact was right - remember Kirk posted the signs in Monaco? and the January 2014 was just amended on the know before you go.

Lisa was right - clearly the Cruise Contract, the What you need to know brochure and the alcohol policy in the Express docs said one bottle pp, $18 corkage fee, and was effective immediately. No mention of the January date. And neither the Cruise Contract and the What You need to know sheet have been changed.

If Lisa hadn't told us, and if a number of the courageous folks hadn't posted on FB (with their names attached) - this "clairification" would NEVER have happened.

Lisa was right - clearly the Cruise Contract, the What you need to know brochure and the alcohol policy in the Express docs said one bottle pp, $18 corkage fee, and was effective immediately. No mention of the January date. And neither the Cruise Contract and the What You need to know sheet have been changed.

If Lisa hadn't told us, and if a number of the courageous folks hadn't posted on FB (with their names attached) - this "clairification" would NEVER have happened.

I entirely agree! My criticism was with regard to HAL allowing one person to give out information to one TA, and not making an official announcement to all. Without Lisa, we would not have fought - and won - this battle.

I entirely agree! My criticism was with regard to HAL allowing one person to give out information to one TA, and not making an official announcement to all. Without Lisa, we would not have fought - and won - this battle.

Maybe we have won the battle but not the war;)

this is the message on their facebook page

Holland America Line Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

no - her contact was right - remember Kirk posted the signs in Monaco? and the January 2014 was just amended on the know before you go.

Yep... they implemented the change, and have now made a revision. My thanks again to Lisa, and all those who were willing and able to voice (eh, email :o) their opinion!

What's the reality show that CEO's go incognito to work on-board? Maybe some Hal Headquarters upper management should go on some cruises unknown and have the same delayed dining room, wine services that we shareholders and financier's to their pocketbooks experience.

Many of us have experienced how corporate VIP's are treated while on cruises. They walk away with a false view of reality.

Have three cruises booked but will be looking at future alternatives.

Love our Dam cruises and will continue to voice our opinions to management.

What's the reality show that CEO's go incognito to work on-board? Maybe some Hal Headquarters upper management should go on some cruises unknown and have the same delayed dining room, wine services that we shareholders and financier's to their pocketbooks experience.

Many of us have experienced how corporate VIP's are treated while on cruises. They walk away with a false view of reality.

Have three cruises booked but will be looking at future alternatives.

Love our Dam cruises and will continue to voice our opinions to management.

That was my point on another thread - how many people are they hiring to deliver all of our glasses/bottles of wine at sail a way. How many wine stewards and bar tenders are they hiring any. How's that affect the bottom line? If they're not, then let us bring on our wine at ports.

I think it's a good argument - worded however anyone wants.

There is no way they can do this with the current complement IMO.

Write, email whatever turns your crank - post on FB - if our wine steward service was lacking, bar service was lacking in the past - how the HAL are they going to do this? Had no problem on the Prinsendam but.....to add this I don't think it's going to happen.

apparently HAL isn't the only one that reads FB - I had two calls today from competitors that I had sailed with in the past. I told them my requirements and they are sending me some emails. Too funny:p

They seem to value my business more than HAL does - or maybe they know that it is a competitive market?

Lisa was right - .

Happy to hear that HAL has amended their policy for now, at least we have a reprieve till Jan. 31/14. I certainly would like to thank Lisa for doing the original post because if it was not for her HAL might of not rescinded. Only as a result of Lisa's thread did most of us post on Facebook, CC and wrote to HAL. Great work Lisa, you inspired us..

"Know before you go" for my cruise on August 3rd still says "one bottle". It changed to "one bottle" overnight a couple of nights ago so hopefully that will disappear again tonight.

Thanks Lisa for letting us know. I would never have noticed otherwise.

From Startwin:

"Holland America Line Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line. "

Do others agree that the 2014 world cruise should be safe?

Roy

Thanks Lisa, you have made my DH a happy man :) I accept the change for our South Pacific cruise, I now have a choice whether we go or I cancel (BTW we are still going). However having no choice for our New Zealand Cruise because it was after final payment, sucked. Especially as New Zealand has marvellous wines, we had planned our whole trip around this. To think I nearly cancelled two tours yesterday because I could not see the point of winery tours if you can't bring some wine back on board - that was close :eek:

this is the message on their facebook page

Holland America Line Thank you to all for sharing opinions, experiences and suggestions with us with regard to our new Alcoholic Beverage Policy. To help clarify, this policy will be effective as of all sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014. We’re sorry for any confusion this has caused. We invite you to share your feedback with us on this and any other topic of interest by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We hope that our valued Mariners continue to enjoy the many aspects of their cruise experience with us and thank you for sailing with Holland America Line.

"To help clarify"? The weasels make it sound like we were confused by what was (and is) clearly spelled out in their cruise contract and Know Before You Go as well as in a few emails to affected cruisers. Can't HAL just admit that they goofed trying to make an immediate change of this magnitude?

I agree wtih Kazu, one battle won, now for the others.

They need to hire more Wine Stewards and they need to vastly improve their wine list and prices or

They need to allow us to bring on wine which we are willing to pay a corking fee for.

Archived