Pompeii & Sorrento on my own

torontogal70

We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!

Both can be done by train service both have good close stations and Naples has a station not far from the cruise port. I recall DCL giving out information on the map of the Naples area to get to the station and times.

It is also doable by private car pre booked.

I do suggest a guide at Pompeii to enjoy it.

Sorrento is easy to navigate basically follow the long shopping street, one with cars and one parallel with shops.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a special train/stop for Pompeii--easy to do. Sorry, no info about Sorrento.

We were somewhat disappointed in Pompeii--our guide skipped a lot that was in "the book," and we were told that most of the "good stuff" is in the museum. However, our friends who did the museum were told that the stuff is at the site. Yeah, interesting. We actually saw a some interesting things by seeing rooms where the guide didn't take us, but she did have a lot of good info.

The biggest advantage to a guide for us was they worked with other guides to maneuver around the crowds so we could get in to places and actually SEE things, then as the crowds came up we would step aside and the guide explain what we just saw...

Hi

You can do by train, but you have to get from ship to the train station and then onto the Circumvesuvia Line, which is down below the main train line.

Getting to the station is walkable, but along a very busy dirty road, we did it once, but never again. Cabs are available, but first thing in the morning, they want the larger fares and are reluctant to do the short run.

There is a bus, tickets can be got from the newsagents opposite the cruise port, we did this once and it was OK, but again, not as easy as we expected and we got a taxi back.

The other option is a cab, it cost us last week, 250 euros, to go to Pompeii, had two hours there (it was too hot for any longer) and then to Sorrento and onto a place for Pizza - the cab driver chose it and it was a good choice, not too expensive.

We were out around 5 hours and there were four people. We passed the tour buses and the crowds by getting to Pompeii early.

Also think about Herculaneum, smaller and easier to understand than Pompeii. You can pick up a guide at the entrance to both, look for the badges and agree a price. I think a couple of years ago it around 30 euros.

As previous poster said, there is a lot of information on DIY on the relevant country boards.

Edited by K8T

If you want to skip Pompeii, then you can catch the hydrofoil at the end of the pier where the ship docks to take you to Sorrento. We did this last week and had a great day in Sorrento. My lot have no interest in ruins I'm afraid and it is very hot too.

The hydrofoil leaves at 9.00 and we caught one back at 2.00, whilst we were there we rode the road train and I think that was 6€ for adults. The lift to the top of the cliff cost 1€.

Edited by heatherbelle

• 10 months later...

May i suggest You something take The boat from naples to sorrento at 9,00 spent your time there and after take a train from sorrento to Pompei 25 minutes You will be there The train drop You off at porta marina station where You can eAsy find a guide but not 30 euro and i don't Really understand How is possible to pay a guide 30 euro if The real price is 100 euro up to 150 for two hours tour depending from The number of people i permit to suggest to do everything on your own but in Pompei You need a guide absolutely otherwise You don't understand anything we had a wonderful guide Last year took us around Pompei for two hours and work every dollar spent

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Forums

Yes very doable on your own, personally I would do Sorrento first and than work my way back towards Naples.

Have been to Pompeii on train. It was ok. Much prefer Paestum which is on other end if amalfi coast. Last time in Naples we hired a van and driver right at port. For 100 us he took us all around Naples and sorrento. Excellent tour. Well worth cost for 6 people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We walked off the ship and basically hired a cab for the whole day, right there in port. I honestly don't remember what we paid, but the price was very reasonable, and the cab driver was friendly and helped us plan our day. Basically he dropped us off at Pompeii for about 3 hours, then picked us up and took us to Sorrento, and then brought us back to Naples. He obviously wasn't a tour guide but he tried giving us as much information as he knew, at least about the big landmarks. Maybe we got lucky with such "non-planning" but it really worked out great.