Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Would we book this hotel again? Yes! Not because we love it, just because it fits our needs.

Good Morning, Steff!!

Quick questions for you. My sister and I are doing a TA to Barcelona :D We are planning on staying in Barcelona for a week :eek: Would you recommend this place as a good place to stay for the entire week?? Do they have a room safe?? Is it safe for 2 60+ (:eek:) ladies by themselves?? Can you recommend some bars/restaurants???

Thanks so much--love ALL of your reviews--hope to read your post on Funchal before we leave on the 19th!!

Got your next cruise booked yet :D????

Cheers!! Susan (if you ever make it to St Thomas, I'd love to give you & family a personalized Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in St Thomas Tour!!!::eek::D

Would we book this hotel again? Yes! Not because we love it, just because it fits our needs.

Good Morning, Steff!!

Quick questions for you. My sister and I are doing a TA to Barcelona :D We are planning on staying in Barcelona for a week :eek: Would you recommend this place as a good place to stay for the entire week?? Do they have a room safe?? Is it safe for 2 60+ (:eek:) ladies by themselves?? Can you recommend some bars/restaurants???

Thanks so much--love ALL of your reviews--hope to read your post on Funchal before we leave on the 19th!!

Got your next cruise booked yet :D????

Cheers!! Susan (if you ever make it to St Thomas, I'd love to give you & family a personalized Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in St Thomas Tour!!!::eek::D

Hi tsahall01,

mhhh, the regular crowd in this hotel was around 20 - 30 years old and overall it had an air of an upgraded backpacker hide-out. There were no room safes ... lol -- I think the regular guests just don't own a lot worth to put in it anyway. For a night each it was perfect and I'd do that again in a heartbeat ... but for a whole week ... I don't know ... even I probably wouldn't book it myself for that long. It all depends on what you're looking for I guess. For a whole week I'd love a place with at least a bit more comfort, so one would have a private space to retreat to and to regain strength for new explorations the next day.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the Tappas bars. But there are many...just stroll around and you'll find a place perfect for you.

I'll try to hurry up with the posts in the current review ... yet there is no way I'll be finished with Fuerteventura in less than 2 weeks. However, maybe I can help you out in quick descriptions on here for your upcoming trip.

How long do you have in Funchal and are you more of an outdoorsy active person, more mellow stroller or culture lover? Do you have any specific plans yet, that you're unsure of? What would your ideal port day look like in general?

Lol -- thanks, I'll get back to that offer if we're ever on St. Thomas. No more cruises booked right now. Hopefully in 2016. But probably not into your neck of the woods. We'll see.

Stef

Hi tsahall01,

mhhh, the regular crowd in this hotel was around 20 - 30 years old and overall it had an air of an upgraded backpacker hide-out. There were no room safes ... lol -- I think the regular guests just don't own a lot worth to put in it anyway. For a night each it was perfect and I'd do that again in a heartbeat ... but for a whole week ... I don't know ... even I probably wouldn't book it myself for that long. It all depends on what you're looking for I guess. For a whole week I'd love a place with at least a bit more comfort, so one would have a private space to retreat to and to regain strength for new explorations the next day.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the Tappas bars. But there are many...just stroll around and you'll find a place perfect for you.

I'll try to hurry up with the posts in the current review ... yet there is no way I'll be finished with Fuerteventura in less than 2 weeks. However, maybe I can help you out in quick descriptions on here for your upcoming trip.

How long do you have in Funchal and are you more of an outdoorsy active person, more mellow stroller or culture lover? Do you have any specific plans yet, that you're unsure of? What would your ideal port day look like in general?

Lol -- thanks, I'll get back to that offer if we're ever on St. Thomas. No more cruises booked right now. Hopefully in 2016. But probably not into your neck of the woods. We'll see.

Stef

Hey Steff!!

Thanks for the speedy reply!! Based on what you said, I have completely changed my reservations!!:rolleyes: We would have liked to stay in one place all week, but that just isn't working out!! What I ended up booking is 2 nights at AC Hotel Som (a Marriott hotel--got an excellent rate for 2 nights--a bit out of the way, but will deal with it), 3 nights at W Barcelona (cheating here--my husband works for the Westin on St John, so got a GREAT discount--but only for 3 nights :cool:), and then Expo Hotel Barcelona (it's by the Sants station). A lot of moving around, but nicer all around accommodations! Thanks for the input--don't think that we would have been happy there for 7 nights!!

As far a Funchal, we ended up booking a tour with other CCs--it's a general all around tour--so we should get a nice flavor of the island, plus lunch at Restaurante Miradouro .

And I'm up for playing tour guide whenever your travels send you to my beautiful island!!:D

Cheers! and many thanks, Susan

Hey Steff!!

Thanks for the speedy reply!! Based on what you said, I have completely changed my reservations!!:rolleyes: We would have liked to stay in one place all week, but that just isn't working out!! What I ended up booking is 2 nights at AC Hotel Som (a Marriott hotel--got an excellent rate for 2 nights--a bit out of the way, but will deal with it), 3 nights at W Barcelona (cheating here--my husband works for the Westin on St John, so got a GREAT discount--but only for 3 nights :cool:), and then Expo Hotel Barcelona (it's by the Sants station). A lot of moving around, but nicer all around accommodations! Thanks for the input--don't think that we would have been happy there for 7 nights!!

As far a Funchal, we ended up booking a tour with other CCs--it's a general all around tour--so we should get a nice flavor of the island, plus lunch at Restaurante Miradouro .

And I'm up for playing tour guide whenever your travels send you to my beautiful island!!:D

Cheers! and many thanks, Susan

Hi Susan,

you're welcome. I asked Tanja yesterday as well, if she'd stay in our former hotel for 7 days ... no way in hell was her answer ... so I think you made a good decision to change reservations:rolleyes:.

Oh? okay, less work for me to fiddle together a fitting port program .... do you have any idea what this general tour incorporates besides the restaurant? I think not knowing would drive me insane ... but then again that's just pitiful planning-obsessive me.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Stef

• 3 weeks later...

talking about hotels in Barcelona --- I just read an article about 2 fun hotels in that city. They're minimalistic motto-hotels ... but before you roll your eyes and discard it right away .... they really looked inviting. One has a wine motto and the other one a bakery motto. Both really great ideas.... if I ever step foot in Barcelona again and need a room I definitely wanna try this out. Lol -- I just can't decide which one I like better. Wine? always a winner ... but the thought of the scent of freshly baked, high quality bread in the morning is also tempting. The rooms are tiny, yet clean and modern ... lol .... not much bigger than an inside cabin ... but the prices are quite acceptable, especially considering they're right in the center of downtown.

Just wanted to let you know.

Stef

• 2 weeks later...

Stef,

I had to dig this thread up, just because I remembered your stories about Venice and Dubrovnik. I finally got my husband to try out smaller ship. We're going on Splendour out of Venice in Oct 2015 and it has a stop in Dubrovnik, too. I am going to fully utilize your experienced advices! Thanks again.

Stef,

I had to dig this thread up, just because I remembered your stories about Venice and Dubrovnik. I finally got my husband to try out smaller ship. We're going on Splendour out of Venice in Oct 2015 and it has a stop in Dubrovnik, too. I am going to fully utilize your experienced advices! Thanks again.

:)Hey, the Finnish family! Whooho. Good to hear from ya. Great to hear you convinced your hubby ... lol -- took you two years afterall, but trust me , the long-term effort will be worth it. Enjoy your cruise .... and come back here afterwards to report how you liked Dubrovnik and Venice!

again -- you're very welcome!

Stef

talking about hotels in Barcelona --- I just read an article about 2 fun hotels in that city. They're minimalistic motto-hotels ... but before you roll your eyes and discard it right away .... they really looked inviting. One has a wine motto and the other one a bakery motto. Both really great ideas.... if I ever step foot in Barcelona again and need a room I definitely wanna try this out. Lol -- I just can't decide which one I like better. Wine? always a winner ... but the thought of the scent of freshly baked, high quality bread in the morning is also tempting. The rooms are tiny, yet clean and modern ... lol .... not much bigger than an inside cabin ... but the prices are quite acceptable, especially considering they're right in the center of downtown.

Just wanted to let you know.

Stef

Stef, your timing is excellent. I already have a hotel booked for my three days in Barcelona, but the recent reviews keep mentioning how dodgy the area is and how they wouldn't want to be a solo female getting back to the hotel at night. As a solo female, I find that a bit worrying.

Then, I stumble upon this comment of yours and I'm pretty sure I will switch. The price is very reasonable, reviews are better, the area looks nicer, I'd be closer to metro stations and I love fresh bread almost as much as I love travelling.

THANK YOU! I can't wait for my stay in Barcelona :D

Stef, your timing is excellent. I already have a hotel booked for my three days in Barcelona, but the recent reviews keep mentioning how dodgy the area is and how they wouldn't want to be a solo female getting back to the hotel at night. As a solo female, I find that a bit worrying.

Then, I stumble upon this comment of yours and I'm pretty sure I will switch. The price is very reasonable, reviews are better, the area looks nicer, I'd be closer to metro stations and I love fresh bread almost as much as I love travelling.

THANK YOU! I can't wait for my stay in Barcelona :D

Hi,

glad to be of help ... make sure to come back here and tell us how you liked it!:) I sure hope it'll be nice ... otherwise I'd feel bad about having talked you into trying it out.

Stef

Hi,

glad to be of help ... make sure to come back here and tell us how you liked it!:) I sure hope it'll be nice ... otherwise I'd feel bad about having talked you into trying it out.

Stef

I'll definitely let you know how it was! I'm very easy to please and even if the hotel ends up being horrible, being closer to the metro and in a safer area is already 100% worth it. So no need to feel bad!

Already excited [emoji2]

• 5 months later...