Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

It's not the navy blue hulls that look like ships.

It's not the teak promenade deck

It's not the friendly unobtrusive staff

It's not the itineraries

It's all about drinking wine.

Just load em onto a rusted tub and drive them in circles and keep the wine flowing. That should work.

It's not the navy blue hulls that look like ships.

It's not the teak promenade deck

It's not the friendly unobtrusive staff

It's not the itineraries

It's all about drinking wine.

Just load em onto a rusted tub and drive them in circles and keep the wine flowing. That should work.

X is also very nice. We did choose these b2b sailing based on itinerary. HAL is the same thing every single year when it comes to Caribbean. We are going to three new places we have never been on each leg. Thats pretty good to me...

I will have to give up the teak deck that i never use, and could care less about, (yes its nice, but we use our time in our cabana) I could care less what the color the hulls are. I care about the onboard experience, and the perks of Aquaclass are great. Our balcony is absolutely huge. Really big. The spa shower with floor to ceiling jets are pretty nice and have a glass door. Hot room service for all meals is huge for me. A private restaurant for Aquaclass guests? And you can get items from MDR menu? If HAL is diminishing their experience, i will be happy to take my money elsewhere. All inclusive beverage package with everything included? Free with pick a perk? Bottled beverages, smoothies, espresso bars, premium wines, liquor, bottled waters, all included after paying the upgrade of $11.50 per day? Sold. X has Sangria, sparkling wines and Cava, (sparkling rose, sparkling moscato) dessert wines and ports... I will keep tasting with no charge until we find what we like... For us its about type, not brand...

Our last X sailing we had great service, and to be honest in all of our cruises (rccl, ccl, x, hal, pcl) we have only come across 3 unpleasant people. One was a concierge on HAL.

Please HAL, let us bring a bottle of local wine and a couple local beers

back on board from the ports we visit during our upcoming 41 days on the

Veendam.

We already have purchased a large amount of drink cards and enjoying local

products is a large part of our cruise experience.

Please HAL, let us bring a bottle of local wine and a couple local beers

back on board from the ports we visit during our upcoming 41 days on the

Veendam.

We already have purchased a large amount of drink cards and enjoying local

products is a large part of our cruise experience.

According to the current policy, which will still be in effect for your Veendam cruise in October/November, there is no problem in bringing on as much wine as you wish at embarkation or any other subsequent port.

Beer, however, has always been and still is against the rules.

I am waiting get my laptop back from best buy, a cell phone or tablet is not going to work for this lol. I definately need a a key board... But i think we have right about 50 interested. I should have it tuesday.

That's great...50 is better than nothing, Surfergirl!

I totally understand your frustration. I agree that the new policy will prevent people from enjoying a wine they may want to bring on from an onshore purchase. I have only cruised Royal Caribbean and Celebrity besides HAL and neither of those lines will allow you to consume wine or alcohol that was purchased in port. Both take your on shore purchases and return them to you at the end of the cruise. That seemed to be the major frustration for most of the people and my point was merely to point out that changing to Celebrity was not going to fix that problem. To each their own, we all enjoy cruising for different reasons. :-)

But you are ignoring the major point, i.e. that HAL has a dreadful wine list and unconscionably pricey. Celebrity has a good selection and good prices. It is not all about bring aboard unlimited bottles. I love wine, but I would be hard pressed to find one I like at a reasonable price aboard ship. So, back to scotch and soda, I guess.

The liberal wine policy was probably the only reason I traveled on HAL over Princess or Celebrity. I appreciate that they are a business and want to make as much money as possible but I kind of felt like they more than made their money on shore excursions and the spa. This new policy will make me look closer at Princess or Celebrity. It won't make me not go on HAL but HAL lost the one thing I thought differentiated them.

But you are ignoring the major point, i.e. that HAL has a dreadful wine list and unconscionably pricey. Celebrity has a good selection and good prices. It is not all about bring aboard unlimited bottles. I love wine, but I would be hard pressed to find one I like at a reasonable price aboard ship. So, back to scotch and soda, I guess.

That's what I'm thinking too, Tampa Girl. At least on our upcoming Med cruise, I can enjoy the local wines. Then, once the new policy takes effect, we'll buy a bottle of rum or gin from Ship Services to enjoy a rum and tonic or gin and tonic.

The liberal wine policy was probably the only reason I traveled on HAL over Princess or Celebrity. I appreciate that they are a business and want to make as much money as possible but I kind of felt like they more than made their money on shore excursions and the spa. This new policy will make me look closer at Princess or Celebrity. It won't make me not go on HAL but HAL lost the one thing I thought differentiated them.

I totaly agree, my last 4 cruises were Hal and the all you bring on policy was the single biggest reason, next cruise is RCCL.

Have you looked at the Celebrity beverge packages or wine list?

Tomorrow they have a promo starting that includes their all inclusive classic package. You can upgrade to the best for $11.50 more per day.

That covers all non Alc, bottled beverages, waters, espresso bar beverages, premium teas and alcohol up to $12. Plus, if you like something more costly, you just pay the diff.. Oh yea, not to mention 30% off any bottle wines even premium list... The package is unlimited per day. It is a no brainer. Not to mention the very extensive wine list.

This is why wine lovers will move to X. Also if you book a winery excursion, you can bring the wine back with you.

Why an unlimited package? Keep tasting until you find what you like.

I am curious about this exception on wine cruises with Celebrity. I have seen someone else mention this exception. When did they start this policy? We took a West Coast wine cruise with Celebrity Sept 2011 and we were NOT allow to take the wine we purchased on the wine tasting excursions back to our rooms. They stored it for us to return on the last day. I found it frustrating as we wanted to just purchase a bottle or two after tastings to enjoy in our room. And they kept announcing the policy at each port so we would know we wouldn't be able to take it back to our cabin.:mad:

-Rose

I've just learned of the policy and am not a happy camper. At least half the time that I go out to a local restaurant, I will bring my own bottle (and happily pay corkage) to insure that I have something to drink that I like with my dinner. And yes, on many occasions I will not open my bottle because I see something on the list that I like. Have not seen many things on HALs list that are worth mentioning. Here's what I've just wrote to HAL:

I have been a fan and cruiser of HAL for many years and just wanted to let you know how unhappy I am with your newly announced bringing wine aboard policy. I have seen your corkage fee steadily creep up over the past few years and have not complained because it was fair. Frankly, as a California resident and daily wine drinker at home and in restaurants, I have not seen any exciting wines or ones that I really might enjoy on the HAL cruises I have taken. I’ve tried your wine tastings and found them to be seriously lacking in any exceptional wines. And I must say, EXCEPTIONAL WINES NEED NOT BE EXPENSIVE IN ORDER TO BE REMARKABLE. If you are seriously going to implement this policy as stated, I will certainly no longer make HAL my first choice in cruising. And seeing as how my wife and I are just retired, we plan on taking MANY cruises over the next few years.

I also cannot imagine that your new policy is going to benefit you in any way. The number of cruisers bringing aboard their own wine is negligible. Why risk losing their business over the income from a few more bottles of wine? You’re already making it up with corkage. Please reconsider. Our next cruise, beginning 9/5 (22nts Noordam ATH-BCN) may be our last with HAL.

I am curious about this exception on wine cruises with Celebrity. I have seen someone else mention this exception. When did they start this policy? We took a West Coast wine cruise with Celebrity Sept 2011 and we were NOT allow to take the wine we purchased on the wine tasting excursions back to our rooms. They stored it for us to return on the last day. I found it frustrating as we wanted to just purchase a bottle or two after tastings to enjoy in our room. And they kept announcing the policy at each port so we would know we wouldn't be able to take it back to our cabin.:mad:

-Rose

Rose - it's on Celebrity's website. Certain cruises are designated as exploring wine country and anyone who takes their winery excursions is allowed to bring the wine on board for consumption in their stateroom. There is a spot there where the applicable cruises are listed.

I've just learned of the policy and am not a happy camper. At least half the time that I go out to a local restaurant' date=' I will bring my own bottle (and happily pay corkage) to insure that I have something to drink that I like with my dinner. And yes, on many occasions I will not open my bottle because I see something on the list that I like. Have not seen many things on HALs list that are worth mentioning. Here's what I've just wrote to HAL:[/font']

I have been a fan and cruiser of HAL for many years and just wanted to let you know how unhappy I am with your newly announced bringing wine aboard policy. I have seen your corkage fee steadily creep up over the past few years and have not complained because it was fair. Frankly, as a California resident and daily wine drinker at home and in restaurants, I have not seen any exciting wines or ones that I really might enjoy on the HAL cruises I have taken. I’ve tried your wine tastings and found them to be seriously lacking in any exceptional wines. And I must say, EXCEPTIONAL WINES NEED NOT BE EXPENSIVE IN ORDER TO BE REMARKABLE. If you are seriously going to implement this policy as stated, I will certainly no longer make HAL my first choice in cruising. And seeing as how my wife and I are just retired, we plan on taking MANY cruises over the next few years.

I also cannot imagine that your new policy is going to benefit you in any way. The number of cruisers bringing aboard their own wine is negligible. Why risk losing their business over the income from a few more bottles of wine? You’re already making it up with corkage. Please reconsider. Our next cruise, beginning 9/5 (22nts Noordam ATH-BCN) may be our last with HAL.

Prepare to either receive a form letter or no response at all. Clearly senior management is hoping that we will get tired of this issue as they have not addressed anyone's concerns other than acknowledging customer dissatisfaction in their form letter.

Rose - it's on Celebrity's website. Certain cruises are designated as exploring wine country and anyone who takes their winery excursions is allowed to bring the wine on board for consumption in their stateroom. There is a spot there where the applicable cruises are listed.

Thanks for responding. I guess we went on the wrong "wine" cruise bc we were not allowed to do this. To me it only makes sense that if a cruise is advertised as a wine cruise, you would be able to buy some to take back to your cabin. Maybe they changed it after Sept 2011. Glad they did, we will consider them again in the future.:)

-Rose

I bolded what I am guessing is the trick, you must book one of their winery excursions in order to be allowed to bring wine on board for consumption?

Just my 2b9b81d5a4213e4144f1b9d95e5acd46?s=64&d=identicon&r=Gworth here...

I'm not a drinker, I don't drink because I don't like the taste. I have nothing against those that drink as long as they drink responsibility; in fact I will say that a cruise ship is the perfect setting for those that like to have a social drink or two. Nobody will be driving home and if you get too tipsy to find your stateroom, there will always be a crew member to assist you, etc. I couldn't care less about their new alcohol policy; however, let's be fair about this. Many people did book a HAL cruise (at least in part) because of their liberal "alcohol policy" and it is not fair to change the rules for them after they have already booked.

If Holland America actually believes in their Mission Statement/Values;

"Integrity, honesty and ethics guide Holland America Line on all levels, from individual employees to the company as a whole. We not only do things right, we do the right things."

they would "grandfather in" the people that had already booked/deposited prior to the change announcement (i.e. 30 Jul 2013) and if their cruise is after the effective starting date (31 Jan 2014) allow the old alcohol policy to apply for that cruise. These people could be required to bring along a copy of their booking statement/invoice at embarkation to verify their original booking date and the ship's personnel could just allow them to bring alcohol onboard IAW the original policy. (i.e. that was in effect at the time of their booking).

I bolded what I am guessing is the trick, you must book one of their winery excursions in order to be allowed to bring wine on board for consumption?

I did. It didn't matter. There were others who were not happy. I bet Celebrity changed their policy because people would tell the winery "well, we can't take a bottle back with us to drink". They did make sales to those who drove home in California (cruise ended in San Diego). The rest of us flew home & I don't pack wine in my luggage. Especially frustrating were the wineries on Vancouver Island (Canada). They don't ship to the USA. Glad to hear the policy is different now because we do cruise Celebrity :)

-Rose

yes - that seems to be the case from what I read. (I haven't been on Celebrity for a few years)

Co-sign. It puzzles me why so many miss this very important aspect of HAL's wine policy/strategy. RCI also has a much better, and reasonably priced, wine list.

Maybe the people at HAL will be smart enough to make adjustments to their wine list.

just my 2b9b81d5a4213e4144f1b9d95e5acd46?s=64&d=identicon&r=gworth here...

I'm not a drinker, i don't drink because i don't like the taste. I have nothing against those that drink as long as they drink responsibility; in fact i will say that a cruise ship is the perfect setting for those that like to have a social drink or two. Nobody will be driving home and if you get too tipsy to find your stateroom, there will always be a crew member to assist you, etc. I couldn't care less about their new alcohol policy; however, let's be fair about this. Many people did book a hal cruise (at least in part) because of their liberal "alcohol policy" and it is not fair to change the rules for them after they have already booked.

If holland america actually believes in their mission statement/values;

"integrity, honesty and ethics guide holland america line on all levels, from individual employees to the company as a whole. We not only do things right, we do the right things."

they would "grandfather in" the people that had already booked/deposited prior to the change announcement (i.e. 30 jul 2013) and if their cruise is after the effective starting date (31 jan 2014) allow the old alcohol policy to apply for that cruise. These people could be required to bring along a copy of their booking statement/invoice at embarkation to verify their original booking date and the ship's personnel could just allow them to bring alcohol onboard iaw the original policy. (i.e. That was in effect at the time of their booking).

Like!

Am I alone - but having to queue and to be checked for wine (and even water) when boarding seems to rather like being in a fascist or communist state. We are on holiday and might want to enjoy wine without paying outrageous prices. Why not increase the cost of the cruise overall and have modest charges for wine.

Because people like me who don't drink don't want to pay for your wine.;)

Because people like me who don't drink don't want to pay for your wine.;)

Wow....that is the reason why HAL has turned into a second rate cruiseline, because of that attitude. You don't want your cruise rate raised, but it's OK for others to pay a 400% markup??? You would not be paying for anyone's wine. Fair is fair.

Archived