How HAL Could Turn Things Around

mariner

At least here, there's a vocal bunch who are not happy they can no longer tote their bottles, cans and shakers onboard.

Perhaps HAL should announce they're rolling back their bar prices:

Very simply, we know you save and save to cruise and the Carnival Corporation, through economies of scale, can offer our tax-free drinks at lower prices.

Mixed drink: $3

Specialty drinks: $3.50

Beer: Dutch $1

American Beer: $1.50

Wines will be priced accordingly.

Or...they could raise the corkage fee dramatically and charge it on every bottle brought on board to make it a tougher decision whether or not to bring aboard personal wines. Plenty of high end restaurants have moved in that direction. If you want to bring your own wine, you are allowed, but the establishment still takes its profit. In many cities, $40-$50 is the new $15-$20.

At least here, there's a vocal bunch who are not happy they can no longer tote their bottles, cans and shakers onboard.

Perhaps HAL should announce they're rolling back their bar prices:

Very simply, we know you save and save to cruise and the Carnival Corporation, through economies of scale, can offer our tax-free drinks at lower prices.

Mixed drink: $3

Specialty drinks: $3.50

Beer: Dutch $1

American Beer: $1.50

Wines will be priced accordingly.

Mariner - I'm not disputing any wine prices or bar prices - what I think a lot are disputing is the value for the money.

HAL's wine list is the worst in the industry (well, sorry I haven't looked at Carnival's - hopefully it is worse but I have no intention of going on that ship)

There's a lot more here than just the prices - there's the choices and the inability to bring wine on in nice ports in Europe (and other locations).

there's the lack of notice and the way this thing came down. The way this whole thing was done was abysmal - it's literally - (or so we feel) - we don't care about you - it's our way or the highway.

To go from the most liberal policy to the most restrictive in 2 days is ridiculous.

I have no problem to pay for drinks on the ship - I never have - BUT to restrict us to their awful choices of wine (let's not get into an argument here - we're going to Europe for heaven's sake where choices abound) is a bit much. fine, we'll drink it in the MDR and the bars - but honestly - some of us would like DECENT glass now and then on our balconies.

More importantly, even other mass market lines let you bring wine on the ships (and yes, let's face it, HAL is now pretty much mass market) - yes you pay a corkage fee but that's your choice.

And if the drinks on HAL get cheaper then I sure the quality of the drinks will too sadly.

For me, HAL represented value - a beautiful blue hulled ship with a lovely wrap around deck, a crew that takes care of you and is happy , good service and an enjoyable vacation. I have no problem paying money as long as I feel I have my value back. therein lies the problem - cheaper prices won't necessarily solve it. I'd rather see them improve the wine listing and keep ti reasonable and allow wines in port.

In any case, we will never see those prices but in our dreams:)

Why should they Jimmie when they pay $5 for a cheap bottle of wine or less?

I'm not sure I follow. Who is the "they" in your question, HAL or the passengers?

My point is that HAL probably sells a majority of its wine in the $25-$45 per bottle price range (list price) and paid $5-$15 for those bottles realizing a profit of around $20-$30 per bottle. So a corkage fee in that range would realize the same profit. And, that profit comes without the risk of breakage, spoilage, cellaring costs or storage space issues.

For me, HAL represented value - a beautiful blue hulled ship with a lovely wrap around deck, a crew that takes care of you and is happy , good service and an enjoyable vacation.

Excuse me for being confused, but ... have any of these things changed or been taken away?

As you yourself have said many times to other people, I hope you enjoy your next cruise on whatever cruise line you choose :rolleyes:

How does the new Explore4 program integrate with these wine carry-on changes - not clear what that is, other than all these changes are due in 2014.

They are not connected. By the new rules in 2014 you can bring on one bottle of wine - the Explorer4 programme is a totally different thing.

there is a good thread on the Explorer4 programme. Also now on the HAL website.

Excuse me for being confused, but ... have any of these things changed or been taken away?

As you yourself have said many times to other people, I hope you enjoy your next cruise on whatever cruise line you choose :rolleyes:

They is HAL and why bother carting it through airports etc when you can pay the same relative price?

Because you get to bring on and drink your own wine. Wine that has been properly cellared and aged. If you had a choice of buying a $5 bottle of 2012 dreck for $20 for a relative price of $20 or bring on a bottle of 1982 Haut Brion and pay $30 in corkage, which would you choose? It's not about saving money or depriving HAL of its profit. It's about being able to drink great wine while on vacation that HAL cannot provide. We can still give HAL its tribute. I have no quarrel with that.

Well the corkage should be $50 and perhaps they should sell that vintage for $200, if they would carry it. But perhaps they'd have something comparable for $100.

Jimmy, I don't buy anyone is bringing great vintages aboard. I have them in my cellar and I really don't want to haul it on a trip.

They is HAL and why bother carting it through airports etc when you can pay the same relative price?

I never cart my wine in airports - I buy it in the local ports and LOCAL wine that HAL does not have

I have thought the same thing.

We board ships close to home every summer for Canada/NE cruises. It would be a snap to load a case of wine into the car company that brings us to the dock. We never have. We just don't want to schlep it, drag it, cart it......bother. We read the wine list and find a bottle we enjoy. We never fail to find a wine to order.

I suppose we must have boring palates but so be it.

We're more traveled than most here; we have experienced the wine tastings the same as many here; we've dined in great places and holes in the wall; we've had good wine, great wine and awful wine....... we always find something to order on HAL's wine lists.

Well the corkage should be $50 and perhaps they should sell that vintage for $200, if they would carry it. But perhaps they'd have something comparable for $100.

Jimmy, I don't buy anyone is bringing great vintages aboard.

This simply isn't true. This debate is taking place on a board populated by HAL fans. Move this discussion over to the forums on RobertParker.com or Wine Spectator and you'd have an entirely different take. There are many, many people who use cruises as the special occasion to bring along great wines. I know that I am not the only one. Indeed, my travel wines pale in comparison to most of my oenophile peers. And none of these folks have any interest in depriving anyone of their profit. A fair corkage fee is always accepted graciuosly.

Oh. And if HAL wants to sell 1982 Haut Brion for $200, I'd gladly leave my wines at home and buy theirs!

So Kazu, you don't mind paying the current mark-up for alcohol and wine?

I have no problem with paying the price for the alcohol at all. I do wish though they would change the wine selections. (the price for the wine only bothers me because of the selections - but the price is not an issue).

We have paid many, many times. Bringing wine on is not a way to get around these costs;) it's been used to host others and share some nice times together or to share some quiet time with our own wine with DH on the balcony

This simply isn't true. This debate is taking place on a board populated by HAL fans. Move this discussion over to the forums on RobertParker.com or Wine Spectator and you'd have an entirely different take. There are many, many people who use cruises as the special occasion to bring along great wines. I know that I am not the only one. Indeed, my travel wines pale in comparison to most of my oenophile peers. And none of these folks have any interest in depriving anyone of their profit. A fair corkage fee is always accepted graciuosly.

totally agree.

Jimmy, I don't buy anyone is bringing great vintages aboard. I have them in my cellar and I really don't want to haul it on a trip.

Good point. Since bottles of wine can't be taken on board in the cabin on planes any longer, do you know what are the conditions like in the airline baggage compartment of planes?

Good point. Since bottles of wine can't be taken on board in the cabin on planes any longer, do you know what are the conditions like in the airline baggage compartment of planes?

The hold beneath the plane is very cold. Wine is perfectly safe when checked.

The chances are strong things will go pop and turn things into a red mess.

No chance whatsoever. Wineries ship wine overnight to customers every day. It all comes by plane. The bottle is not subject to any greater pressure than the rest of the cargo in the hold. And if you are really concerned, you get one of these: http://www.winecruzer.com/

Archived