How HAL Could Turn Things Around

mariner

I have no problem with paying the price for the alcohol at all. I do wish though they would change the wine selections. (the price for the wine only bothers me because of the selections - but the price is not an issue).

We have paid many, many times. Bringing wine on is not a way to get around these costs;) it's been used to host others and share some nice times together or to share some quiet time with our own wine with DH on the balcony

I agree with you. The prices for drinks, cocktails etc are very fair on the ships. It's strange that HAL has such a hard time getting the wine policy to be just as fair. Absolutely, it was way too liberal and I'm sure that cost them money, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Jimmy,

If you're drinking such fine grape, book Seabourn. Then there are no worries. Im not sending my bottles in the cargo hold. Feel your luggage when it comes off. Way too cold.

Seabourn isn't close to the price point of HAL, X, PCL or RCL. Enjoying my own wine shouldn't come at a cost of a Seabourn cruise and thanks to PCL, it doesn't have to.

I've shipped hundreds of bottles below a plane, both personally and professionally. Never had one ruined. They never, ever come close to freezing. They never even reach refrigerator temperature. Wine can withstand cold far better than heat. Styrofoam is a great insulator, as is my winecruzer.

The hold beneath the plane is very cold. Wine is perfectly safe when checked.

The chances are strong things will go pop and turn things into a red mess.

how do you two think they get wines here? they have to be flown. I don't check mine but...

Talking to the Cellar Master - it is a much bigger challenge to keep wine on a ship than on a plane despite all their innovations.

and before the two of you want to argue with me - that's three cellar masters and three different ships.

so if you disagree - no worries. That's what I as told and I believe THEM.

Good for you pal. But I aint trying it. And you seem to be arguing over the point. The lines pay very little for booze. Pass the savings on to the pax and see what happens. It worked in the 60s and 70s.

Nowadays, the clowns seem to think a $10 martini is cheap. It isn't when the line paid a $1 for it.

how do you two think they get wines here? they have to be flown. I don't check mine but...

Talking to the Cellar Master - it is a much bigger challenge to keep wine on a ship than on a plane despite all their innovations.

and before the two of you want to argue with me - that's three cellar masters and three different ships.

so if you disagree - no worries. That's what I as told and I believe THEM.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I said that it is perfectly safe to check wine. I worked for an importer for years. I know how the wine gets from here to there. That Beaujolais Nouveau that makes its way over here in time for November tastings doesn't come by boat!

Or...they could raise the corkage fee dramatically and charge it on every bottle brought on board to make it a tougher decision whether or not to bring aboard personal wines. Plenty of high end restaurants have moved in that direction. If you want to bring your own wine, you are allowed, but the establishment still takes its profit. In many cities, $40-$50 is the new $15-$20.

This is the answer. Store the ones u buy in port, if you want to take them home, and pay $15 like Princess for the ones u want to drink.

I agree with you. The prices for drinks, cocktails etc are very fair on the ships. It's strange that HAL has such a hard time getting the wine policy to be just as fair. Absolutely, it was way too liberal and I'm sure that cost them money, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I agree, drink prices oh HAL are fair.

Address the issue. The lines have a HUGE mark-up. If they lowered it, you would drink aboard.

No. It's not about price. It is about selection. Cruise lines buy wine by the hundreds of cases. When you do that, you sacrifice quality. Instead of getting Mondavi Reserve, you get Mondavi Private Selection. I'll drink the former but not the latter, even if they lowered the price to $5 per bottle.

I don't blame the cruise line for having a lousy selection. They don't want to buy 2 cases of a special wine and sell it out in a day. They want a consistent wine list from ship to ship with wines in large quantity. I get it. But in so doing, they are forced to buy mediocre wines. So let people up the ante by bringing on their own wines for a fee. Pretty simple.

They ARE NOT. You are paying a huge mark-up. And sodas even more.

$6.95 for a martini is cheaper than any place in CA.

Wine, HAL just has NO idea what they are doing.

For instance, i saw Beringer White Zin, is $36 (i do not drink it) it is $3.99 at my grocery store.

Just an example...

I would pay $36 if it is something i liked. Lol.

They ARE NOT. You are paying a huge mark-up. And sodas even more.

Have you ever purchased drinks in a hotel bar or airport bar? Talk about a mark-up. Go to a baseball, football, basketball or hockey game and buy a drink. HAL is Wal-Mart compared to the drink prices at those events.

and they paid $1 or less for THE BOTTLE

Let's get serious and realistic - there is no way HAL pays $1 for a bottle of Grey Goose - duty free or not. sorry - you are really missing the boat here:rolleyes:;)

Archived