How HAL Could Turn Things Around

mariner

Look. As long as people can book inside cabins for a week for $499, the cruise line is going to have to find some place to make money. Food is included, so that leaves drinks. It would be lovely to get a Mount Gay and Coke for $4. But that just isn't compatible with the fares currently being offered.

Well the corkage should be $50 and perhaps they should sell that vintage for $200, if they would carry it. But perhaps they'd have something comparable for $100.

Jimmy, I don't buy anyone is bringing great vintages aboard. I have them in my cellar and I really don't want to haul it on a trip.

And not hauling them from your cellar is your personal preference. Why on earth would you worry about what someone else wants to begin with? I'm perfectly fine with bringing two bottles of wine on board. That also means no more cruises over 7 days and then only if I get rock bottom fares. Then I can buy their overpriced wines if I am so inclined. Come to think of it, Bud is cheaper and just as appealing to me...why bother with the wine list. :rolleyes:

Keep going girl. You're paying well above what it costs them. And their wine prices are just as bad. But you don't mind.

Nope i just booked a PCL group cruise today because i want what i want, and I'm willing to pay for it, and HAL does not have it.

Well, im holding my cabin till monday till the cruise night special $200) deposit is attached.

Well, Jimmy, they'd have to raise the fares. BUT, you can drink aboard for a lot less than other lines.

And there's the choice. Higher fares and cheaper drinks or cheaper fares and higher drinks. There is no answer here because self interest controls. I go months between cocktails so I would take the lower fares (but would argue in favor of corkage, even at a higher rate to make up my share of the "alcohol surcharge" which seems to be what it is.)

And there's the choice. Higher fares and cheaper drinks or cheaper fares and higher drinks. There is no answer here because self interest controls. I go months between cocktails so I would take the lower fares (but would argue in favor of corkage, even at a higher rate to make up my share of the "alcohol surcharge" which seems to be what it is.)

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I completely agree.

And there you have it. But HAL has competition and if they want to stand out I would argue for cheaper beverage prices.

Surfergirl, I have no idea what PCL is. But if wine prices matter that much, then good luck in mass market lines.

And there you have it. But HAL has competition and if they want to stand out I would argue for cheaper beverage prices.

Surfergirl, I have no idea what PCL is. But if wine prices matter that much, then good luck in mass market lines.

Mass market? HAL, X, and PCL (Princess) are mass market, just at the premium end.

Prices aren't the issue for me, at all... HAL does not carry what we like, PCL allows unlimited$15 corkage.

Prices aren't the issue for me, at all...

Well, at some point they have to be because you will be told to go sail on Seabourn if you want to drink your wine. :p

See you on PCL! They are getting my money for my next two cruises. Maybe we will share a bottle some day. You bring the Yellowtail. I'll bring the Almenden.

What this tells me is this: The mass-market lines have managed to convince a whole bunch of passengers they can bring their liquor aboard for less than they can buy it. How the lines will ever make a profit without charging for everything aboard is beyond me.

Well, at some point they have to be because you will be told to go sail on Seabourn if you want to drink your wine. :p

See you on PCL! They are getting my money for my next two cruises. Maybe we will share a bottle some day. You bring the Yellowtail. I'll bring the Almenden.

http://Www.wineresort.com ruby cuvee

http://Www.wilsoncreekwinery.com decadencia chocolate port

http://Www.tobinjames.com darn near anything

And Paringa Sparkling Shiraz,

and http://www.quintllc.com quint red sangria

And my friends parents own Quady winery in Madera, i love anything from there...

Omg, i am not drinking wine til nov, killing me.

Don't have any of those bottles in my cellar and doubt I will. And Im not going to throw a fit because my cruise line doesn't. Ill find a substitute. And be happy. But the hijackers don't want to acknowledge that HAL could lower their drink prices. And still make money.

Don't have any of those bottles in my cellar and doubt I will. And Im not going to throw a fit because my cruise line doesn't. Ill find a substitute. And be happy. But the hijackers don't want to acknowledge that HAL could lower their drink prices. And still make money.

Yes they are all local to me. My stuff isn't fancy, never said it was, but i love it.

They could lower it, but then cabin prices go up, u know the name of the game.

Do $50 like most places. Then see how you feel.

I'm not sure what "most" places you are referring to. $50 is at the extreme high end and no cruise line charges that. I paid $50 once at The French Laundry but didn't appreciate it.

Archived