Need help from fellow Aussies re travel insurance

Hi there

I have been reading through the travel insurance threads and everyone talks about the importance of booking travel insurance within 2 weeks of booking a cruise. Having looked online at Australian travel insurance policies, I cannot see anything about this mentioned and my TA certainly didnt mention any urgency with booking travel insurance (actually she didn't mention it at all).

Does this policy of needing to arrange travel insurance within 2-3 weeks of cruise booking only apply to American travel insurance?

You don't need to book our policies within a certain time.

However, you get the benefits from the time you book. So, for example, if you are made redundant and you have taken a policy you are covered (if applicable). But if you are made redundant and haven't taken a policy then you are not covered.

Similarly with other conditions such as sickness or any other issue.

I always take insurance out just after I pay my deposit. That way no mater what happens I should be covered. In fact now I just get an annual policy so i am always covered even for my week-ends away.

We too have an annual policy as it is not much more expensive than an overseas single trip one and covers us for all those short breaks as well. As pointed out, you are only covered on a single one from when you take it out so you run the risk of not being able to claim if something happens between deposit and policy start. However, if the deposit is not too large in the past we have waited a bit and have been prepared to lose it if necessary. Be aware that there are quite a few exclusions in most policies - not just for the traveller but regarding family members at home as well.

Hi there

I have been reading through the travel insurance threads and everyone talks about the importance of booking travel insurance within 2 weeks of booking a cruise. Having looked online at Australian travel insurance policies, I cannot see anything about this mentioned and my TA certainly didnt mention any urgency with booking travel insurance (actually she didn't mention it at all).

Does this policy of needing to arrange travel insurance within 2-3 weeks of cruise booking only apply to American travel insurance?

We have always taken out insurance when we pay the deposit. At least that way you can cover the deposit should you need to cancel. If it is for a cruise a long way ahead you can sometimes negotiate with the company and pay a deposit on your policy with full payment being made when you make the final payment for your cruise.

Another important thing is the dates on the policy. Suggest you add a few extra days at the end of your holiday timing, to cover you for flight cancellations etc.

Nothing worse than being stuck overseas due to cancelled flights, and your policy has run out.

We have insurance automatically covered by Amex as soon as we make a payment to a TA/Cruise Company etc on the card for a deposit, accommodation or any pay

Johnment associated with a cruise or other type of holiday. We are not required to do anything, fill out paperwork, apply for the actual insurance or anything else. If we need to make a claim then our payments shown on the statements are more than sufficient for Amex and their insurance agents to be satisfied that we are insured.

It all seemed airy fairy to me to begin with but on checking with Amex and from reading the experiences from other CC members there are no hassles and claims are met without hassle either. This is more than I can say from past experiences with local travel insurance companies who seem hell bent on knocking back claims especially medical reasons for cancellation and are hellbent on trying to establish "pre existing conditions" just to avoid payment.

Look at the conditions on your cruise ticket regarding cancellation. There is usually a time (maybe 180 days prior to the cruise) when if you cancel you will get your deposit refunded. There isn't much point in paying for travel insurance if you are outside that time limit. Once you have come to the point where you will lose money if you have to cancel, you should consider buying travel insurance. Of course, if you then cancel you will have the deposit to the cruise company refunded (less any excess under your insurance policy), but will still have paid for travel insurance.

With princess and p&o if you use an FCC you dont need to take out insurance until you are making final payment because you can cancel out for any reason and get your FCC back to use on another cruise

We take out a policy as soon as we are able after paying a deposit because, even though we could cover the loss of deposit if we cancelled before having the insurance, there is also the issue of pre-existing conditions.

If something happens before you take out your policy that down the track means you need to make a claim AFTER you've paid in full, you run the risk of the claim being denied under a pre-existing conditions clause.

An example: You book a cruise and pay your deposit. You have a moderate car accident before final payment is due and that's when you plan on taking out your insurance. Your injuries have plenty of time to heal before you sail so you don't cancel your cruise.

BUT

You have unanticipated complications and infections from your injuries and treatment that mean you end up in and out of hospital and end up having to cancel your cruise AFTER you've made your final payment and take out your insurance. And because you didn't have the insurance first, you're not covered.

Likely? No.

Possible? Absolutely. And for us, that's one of the risks that we want to insure against.

Always read the fine print to make sure that you are covered for the things you need to be covered for. The annual policy is a great way of doing it.

We have our travel insurance through a credit card, which gets activated as long as part of the travel is paid for using the card, (even this does not always cover all items), but we have found it adequate so far.:D

If you have any pre existing conditions I have found that none of the credit card insurance policies will cover me.

Might be fine for those without any health issues, mine are very minor but still not able to cover for it with their policies.

I take an annual policy too, paying extra $130 for the pre existing.

I had to make a claim on insurance 2 years ago, due to breast cancer diagnosis. The insurance company tried desperately to get out of paying out on the policy claiming it was pre existing. Fortunately my wonderful GP fought for me.

Look at the conditions on your cruise ticket regarding cancellation. There is usually a time (maybe 180 days prior to the cruise) when if you cancel you will get your deposit refunded. There isn't much point in paying for travel insurance if you are outside that time limit. Once you have come to the point where you will lose money if you have to cancel, you should consider buying travel insurance. Of course, if you then cancel you will have the deposit to the cruise company refunded (less any excess under your insurance policy), but will still have paid for travel insurance.

Good advice...Some deposits are non refundable, and some TA's charge a non refundable deposit as well.

Make sure you know exactly where you stand when booking and then insure as need be.

As a side issue, read in the paper this morning, insurance companies are not entertaining claims made re cancelled Middle East Travel after 4 July 2013, as Civil Unrest, Uprisings, Coups etc are not covered. That was from Covermore, one of the biggies.

As a side issue, read in the paper this morning, insurance companies are not entertaining claims made re cancelled Middle East Travel after 4 July 2013, as Civil Unrest, Uprisings, Coups etc are not covered. That was from Covermore, one of the biggies.

Insurance companies make bigger profits by taking in as many premiums as possible with as few of the pay outs as possible. The fine print is so important to make sure that the insurance covers the type of situations that may arise while travelling.:D

There are other factors apart from the cruise ticket, e.g. flights and accommodation that are often also non-refundable and may be purchased before the cancellation period on the cruise booking.

Hi there

We always book travel insurance as soon as we have paid our deposit. You can never be sure when accidents and illness can strike and it's better to be on the safe side.

Check the fine print especially if you have any pre-existing illness. Some insurers ask if you have visited the Dr or be hospitalised in the last three months and if so what for.

The cost can vary a lot depending on your age and to what part of the world you are travelling and for how long. Check out on line TID Insurance to compare with what your travel agent is offering. Hope this Helps.

Yes, I was just reading the Doc Holiday letter of the Tele's travel section. Interesting how they draw the line.:D

We always book travel insurance as soon as we have paid our deposit. You can never be sure when accidents and illness can strike and it's better to be on the safe side.

Check the fine print especially if you have any pre-existing illness. Some insurers ask if you have visited the Dr or be hospitalised in the last three months and if so what for.

The cost can vary a lot depending on your age and to what part of the world you are travelling and for how long. Check out on line TID Insurance to compare with what your travel agent is offering. Hope this Helps.

Agreed, if you're going to get it, it's better sooner - as soon as you have one non-refundable charge - than later.

We have just been to Hawaii but over there I got hit by a freak side wards wave in the shallow water of Waikiki beach.

I dislocated my knee cap to he point it had broken off in the knee & pushed through my knee.

Ambulance, hospitals x3, doctors and more cost $10,000 USD. Trip ruined. Surgery on return to Australia. More time off work. 4 months of physio.

THIS is why you buy travel insurance.

So far insurance company have been very good.

This is also why we are going on a cruise. I need a holiday to make up for the holiday.

We have just been to Hawaii but over there I got hit by a freak side wards wave in the shallow water of Waikiki beach.

I dislocated my knee cap to he point it had broken off in the knee & pushed through my knee.

Ambulance, hospitals x3, doctors and more cost $10,000 USD. Trip ruined. Surgery on return to Australia. More time off work. 4 months of physio.

THIS is why you buy travel insurance.

So far insurance company have been very good.

This is also why we are going on a cruise. I need a holiday to make up for the holiday.

Good grief, I hope you recover fully with out too much pain to self and pocket.:D

• 1 month later...

We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.

Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz

My thoughts on the benefits of travel insurance....

A work colleague, very fit, very well, who is 30 years old, so not like a lot of us on here, on the other side of 30, recently spent four weeks travelling through the US. Second week of her holiday she felt unwell and was bedridden in her hotel bed in LA. A doctor needed to be called and she needed to have $2000 upfront before she was seen and another $800 for medication. She was diagnosed with pneumonia, nothing life threatening and fixed with medication. It left a huge dent in her travelling spending money for the remainder of the vacation, but was safe in the comfort she had taken travel insurance out before she left. A lot of her friends in that age group didn't think it was necessary. I think this episode has changed their mind. The insurers have approved the reimbursement.

Archived