• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

3 alternative dates for cancelled 14 day cruise

roquejo

Our 14 day Alaska cruise late 2014 has been cancelled and we are given 3 alternative dates with the same price I booked..

May 26, 2104

June 9, 2014

June 23, 2104

Price wise, June 23 is the most expensive so best for the buck but I know there are other factors which makes this very complicated, this is a 2 week cruise so it is half a month, so each sailing date corresponds to a different time of the season in a place where weather impacts much. May 26 is the driest and still not summer yet, with still some ice, and still off peak. June 9 is early summer, nearing peak season, while June 23 will be summer already with lots of daylight, and super peak season already.

This is my 2nd Alaska cruise but I went last Sept 2012 so it was already the shoulder season so I haven't experienced an Alaska summer yet.

I know the best time to go is subjective as it depends on what you want, normally for me the price is the most deciding factor, but since the price factor is now constant for the 3 sailing dates, this makes choosing difficult for me

So this is where I need help from the seasoned Alaska visitors out there.. given there are many subjective issues in choosing which date to go, each period has its pros and cons.. so in adding all those, which among the 3 sailing dates is the best one?

When we were in Alaska late June, the salmon really hadn't started running. I would choose the June 23 date for maximum sunlight and the chance to see salmon in the streams (and bears fishing for them).

What is the itinerary? as suggested, figure out what you want to see and do? ALL of these dates are excellent. There is no point in thinking about weather. There is a lot of daylight for all these sailings.

the cruise that was cancelled is Norwegian Sun's Sept 15, 2014 14 day Alaska cruise back to back from Vancouver.. not sure why but that's the only sailing date they cancelled. The last 14 day will now be Sept 1. It was replaced by a 7 day round trip from Vancouver.

It will visit Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier twice. Then Glacial Bay,Icy Strait Point, Whittier, Sawyer/Tracy Arm once.

So this is the IT.

I love nature, scenery, and wildlife, but hate shopping, so the pricey shopping drawback during peak season is no issue.

It will be my 2nd time in Alaska having visited Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacial Bay via HAL, so will just take it easy on those 3 ports that I will visit 2X again.

The main reason I booked is its cheap for an early booking, a 14 day for only $865 for inside when I booked..as well as Norwegian Sun got good reviews here for a mid sized ship category, the equivalent back to back cruise of princess Voyage of the Glaciers Grand adventure is way more expensive unless you book it last minute. HAL 14 day has the best IT without repeating ports, but it is very pricey as well.

I'm leaning towards June 23, but someone recommended June 9... may I know why June 9 is better than June 23?

It will be my 2nd time in Alaska having visited Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacial Bay via HAL, so will just take it easy on those 3 ports that I will visit 2X again.

I would love to have a cruise that visits multiple ports twice. There is so much to do in those ports that I could easily fill my time both of the times the ship is in port.

I'm leaning towards June 23, but someone recommended June 9... may I know why June 9 is better than June 23?

It is totally subjective. I can't see any advantage for one day over the other except if it has to do with certain tours/excursions.

the cruise that was cancelled is Norwegian Sun's Sept 15, 2014 14 day Alaska cruise back to back from Vancouver.. not sure why but that's the only sailing date they cancelled. The last 14 day will now be Sept 1. It was replaced by a 7 day round trip from Vancouver.

It will visit Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier twice. Then Glacial Bay,Icy Strait Point, Whittier, Sawyer/Tracy Arm once.

So this is the IT.

I love nature, scenery, and wildlife, but hate shopping, so the pricey shopping drawback during peak season is no issue.

The main reason I booked is its cheap for an early booking, a 14 day for only $865 for inside when I booked..as well as Norwegian Sun got good reviews here for a mid sized ship category, the equivalent back to back cruise of princess Voyage of the Glaciers Grand adventure is way more expensive unless you book it last minute. HAL 14 day has the best IT without repeating ports, but it is very pricey as well.

They did you a big favor. Going this late in the season, is far from an ideal trip. Your second week will have dusk at 6:30p and cold wet weather, a likely given. Some tours over.

ANY of next year's timeframes is great. Pick one. :)

roquejo, what a wonderful itinerary.

I would go with the first date. I like earlier in the season since you might find the ports less crowded particularly with less children.

No one ever knows for sure what weather and the like will be like but if this was me I would take the first of the three cruises.

Terrific cruise.

Keith

Our best of our best cruises of Alaska were early in the season. Here is a photos of Glacier Bay.

I know. We can't guarantee what the weather will be like. What I do know is that it will be less crowded in port in May and to me that is one of the biggest advantages of going early versus later when the ports start having the feel of the Caribbean in the peak season

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tlzUwFwKL8Q/T4hX1vim56I/AAAAAAAAQqY/0TZe241SSfY/s1600/DSC_4197.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-znUhqiLWDwI/T4hX3dKZ_bI/AAAAAAAAQqg/rK4XrLnAYa8/s1600/DSC_4198.jpg

Keith

Our best of our best cruises of Alaska were early in the season. Here is a photos of Glacier Bay.

I know. We can't guarantee what the weather will be like. What I do know is that it will be less crowded in port in May and to me that is one of the biggest advantages of going early versus later when the ports start having the feel of the Caribbean in the peak season

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tlzUwFwKL8Q/T4hX1vim56I/AAAAAAAAQqY/0TZe241SSfY/s1600/DSC_4197.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-znUhqiLWDwI/T4hX3dKZ_bI/AAAAAAAAQqg/rK4XrLnAYa8/s1600/DSC_4198.jpg

Keith

Having gone the majority of my cruises at the end of May, the ships will be in full force by May 26th.

They did you a big favor. Going this late in the season, is far from an ideal trip. Your second week will have dusk at 6:30p and cold wet weather, a likely given. Some tours over.

ANY of next year's timeframes is great. Pick one. :)

We actually went late Sept 2012, the last sailing date of HAL's Volendam, and it is very memorable, that is why initially planning to go late Sept 2014 again before the cancellation...the 6:30p sunset is normal for us.

Not only the price is cheap, we hit a jackpot with the weather that late Sept, it was sunny and warm all through out, even in Vancouver... the weirdest thing was the hottest, sunniest day was in Ketchikan, and it is supposed to be the wettest port stop. I recalled while we are docked in Ketchikan, they totally opened the retractable pool cover and fellow passengers took a dip at the pool. It was a clear, very sunny and cloudless day that time.

The only time we encountered stormy weather was while we are heading out of glacier bay.. and we are one of the few ships who managed to get really close to the John Hopkins. Since it is very active and still advancing, we also witnessed a huge calving of John Hopkins that send waves toward the ship.

We also got lucky in Juneau Photo Safari, our Mendenhall glacier viewing was momentarily disrupted by a ranger as 3 bears are approaching, a mother and 2 cubs so we ended up chasing the bears instead, we saw the mother caught a salmon and we got really close to the bears when they went under the bridge our group was standing.. then at the whale watching later, 3 humpback also got really close to the back of our ship at the end of the tour.

Same thing with Skagway, we went to Yukon territory in full autumn colors with full visibility, and it was very hot, clear and sunny, and the driver said that this was one of the 2 hottest day in Yukon for the entire 2012 cruise season. The only time it became the usual foggy day is we are already near Skagway via White Pass railway

Another expected thing we got in Sept is all goods are in clearance sale, even Tracy's Crab Shack as they are all closing for the year.

Since everything went so perfect the last time, I have no more expectations on the next trip as it is hard to compare with luck we had in the last trip. Perhaps the main reason to go back is the check out Hubbard, Tracy Arm/Sawyer, Anchorage, and Margerie Glacier (coz the captain skipped it coz of the rare opportunity to stop at John Hopkins), as I missed those in my last trip.

I will definitely pick Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer this time by Allen Marine Tours on one of the 2 Juneau stops, as they are no longer operating in late Sept.

I, too, would take the latest date with Hubbard and Tracy Arm on the itinerary.

You got very lucky in September. I recall reading where one September some ships didn't even get to any ports, other only one, due to the big storms.

Even in the height of summer, if you are finding ports crowded (with adults or kids), you are not using your time wisely. Just get away from the shopping areas close to the ships and you will hardly notice there were 10,000 cruise passengers in town. It is amazing how getting 5+ blocks from the ship works wonders with the (lack of) crowds. Been in Juneau for example for multiple days at a time not on a cruise. Rarely ran into cruise passengers except at Mendenhall Glacier and on a whale watch tour. And yes, we were sightseeing the entire time. During multiple cruise stops in Juneau (and other ports), same thing. Most cruise passengers need that sense of security of always having their ship in sight. Sad but true.

Even in the height of summer, if you are finding ports crowded (with adults or kids), you are not using your time wisely. Just get away from the shopping areas close to the ships and you will hardly notice there were 10,000 cruise passengers in town. It is amazing how getting 5+ blocks from the ship works wonders with the (lack of) crowds. Been in Juneau for example for multiple days at a time not on a cruise. Rarely ran into cruise passengers except at Mendenhall Glacier and on a whale watch tour. And yes, we were sightseeing the entire time. During multiple cruise stops in Juneau (and other ports), same thing. Most cruise passengers need that sense of security of always having their ship in sight. Sad but true.

I certainly do not need to see my cruise ship.

But I do enjoy Alaska with the ports far less crowded.

And we are very mobile and do not hang around port.

And we are not shoppers.

Keith

Back in 2008 as I researched for my trip I kept hearing about the crowds we would encounter. We never found them, as we stayed away from the shopping areas for the most part. Ketchikan was one place we did do the self-guided walk, but never found it or other ports crowded. Yes, there were people around...that is what one would expect at any vacation destination. We returned in 2011 on the 14 day HAL cruise and once again, did not find crowds. We always did an excursion upon arrival in the ports. If there were crowds, perhaps they are earlier in the day when the cruise ship first docks. I can't say for sure as we were never there at those times. All I know is I went on cruises mid-June and early August and never experienced large crowds. We even did not experience the crowds in Glitter Gulch at the end of June that we were told to expect. Every time we drove by it actually looked like a ghost town to us. I am not sure when that area gets the crowds so often mentioned on this site. The most people we saw in that area were when we went to the Cabin Theater.

I don't know if you have selected a date yet or not.

JMO -- I would go with the June 23 cruise.

Since Norwegian cancelled your cruise, are they not giving you any kind of compensation?

They are giving her a cruise which normally cost more than the one she booked.

Back in 2008 as I researched for my trip I kept hearing about the crowds we would encounter. We never found them, as we stayed away from the shopping areas for the most part. Ketchikan was one place we did do the self-guided walk, but never found it or other ports crowded. Yes, there were people around...that is what one would expect at any vacation destination. We returned in 2011 on the 14 day HAL cruise and once again, did not find crowds. We always did an excursion upon arrival in the ports. If there were crowds, perhaps they are earlier in the day when the cruise ship first docks. I can't say for sure as we were never there at those times. All I know is I went on cruises mid-June and early August and never experienced large crowds. We even did not experience the crowds in Glitter Gulch at the end of June that we were told to expect. Every time we drove by it actually looked like a ghost town to us. I am not sure when that area gets the crowds so often mentioned on this site. The most people we saw in that area were when we went to the Cabin Theater.

I am with you. Actually I am usually one of the first off the ships at each port and especially earlier in the morning, the ports have few people in them, even close to the ship. But I have never experienced hardly any crowds anywhere in the ports once I was +-5 blocks or further from the ship. I too don't know where people see all these crowds that are mentioned on this site. :confused:

I've already selected June 23 as advised, mainly because the ship has both Hubbard and Tracy Arm in the IT. Btw, it also has Glacier Bay so the only one I will missed is College Fjord which only Princess has.

The ship will visit Hubbard twice, and will visit Glacier Bay going to Whittier and Tracy Arm going back to Vancouver.

Since I already went to Alaska in Sept, 2012 , which is a shoulder season, want to experience Alaska during the peak summer season this time for a change.

Not sure what will I do Whittier, as I haven't been there yet, still deciding whether I will visit Anchorage just to see how this major city looks like, or to go on scenic nature trip like Prince William sound or Kenai Fjords National Park

Archived