Dominican Republic

albrkman

We did an island tour thru Carnival which was good. Mistake was taking the bus at the port area to the flea market- they were beyond aggressive. We were there about 10 minutes and I was ready to go back to the ship.

We are going to the Dreams Resort next month. Didn't want to stay around the port area. I've heard that Aruba and Curaçao are very safe.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aruba and Curacao are both quite safe! :)

LuLu

~~~~

I went to La Romana, Dominican Republic on a land trip about 8 years ago. I stayed in an AI resort. I took a bus excursion to Altos de Chavon and the La Romana historic city center. I loved Altos de Chavon. The stone structures that looked like they were centuries old (but were built only decades ago) were amazing to look at. I ended up exploring the place for over an hour and had some really nice conversations with the workers at the place. Too bad I couldn't swim in the pool (it's only for guests of a nearby resort), since it was a really hot day.

The city of La Romana, on the other hand, wasn't good at all. Other than some poorly maintained buildings, and an well-worn but presentable-looking church next to a park, I didn't see much of what I imagined as a "historic city center". There were also some young teens who hovered around the tour group, peddling small items. Politely telling them no didn't work. I had to raise my voice at them to get them to leave me alone. And I kept my hand on my pocket with the wallet the whole time.

If I were to do an excursion in La Romana, I'd go to Altos de Chavon again. Especially considering that the last time I went there, it was by bus, while the Carnival excursion goes there by riverboat. If you like museum-type excursions, maybe that's an option for you.

We bought a day pass to Dreams all inclusive resort and next to Aruba was my favorite day on the cruise. If I could afford to stay at that resort for a whole week, I would be ecstatic. There is not much to do right there off the ship so I would recommend an excursion.

Wiliam,

Could you have a few more cruises in your signature? I don't think you have enough booked! lol Ugly green jealousy monster rearing its head.

Kim

Ty for the answers. I hope grand Turk Aruba and curacoa are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is an awesome itinerary that is screwed up by going to DR.

As a result you get into Curacao late in the day. Wish they would eliminate DR make it a sea day and get to Curacao much earlier.

I really wasn't that impressed with Curacao but the day we were there was a holiday( Yom Kippur ). I would give it another chance but based on my one visit, I don't have a lot of positive things to say. Absolutely loved Aruba and I have been to the Dominican Republic numerous times and love it. We have stayed in Punta Cana at AI's and they have the most beautiful beaches and water.

Kim

It is an awesome itinerary that is screwed up by going to DR.

As a result you get into Curacao late in the day. Wish they would eliminate DR make it a sea day and get to Curacao much earlier.

Totally agree with you Stu!! We were on the first cruise when Carnival started going back to Aruba. We were in Aruba into the evening which was really nice as it allowed up to enjoy a full day there. Our Curacao stop was a daytime stop and was nice as well. The newer itinerary for this route has shorter stops in both places which is a bummer! I'd love more time in both places.

Totally agree with you Stu!! We were on the first cruise when Carnival started going back to Aruba. We were in Aruba into the evening which was really nice as it allowed up to enjoy a full day there. Our Curacao stop was a daytime stop and was nice as well. The newer itinerary for this route has shorter stops in both places which is a bummer! I'd love more time in both places.

We got to Curacao at 2 pm but due to heavy rain nobody really left the ship till 4 and it got dark about 5 30. Made it to floating bridge which was very interesting but didnt really get to see rest of the place.

Than had to leave Aruba early to get back to Florida.

First stop of GT had to leave at 2 pm to get to DR.

If they dropped DR makes an excellent itinerary into an awesome one.

As it turned out had medical emergency 5 hours out of Aruba and we had to turn back to Aruba as there was no advanced medical treatment to be had closer to Aruba. We still made it back to port on time.

We bought a day pass to Dreams all inclusive resort and next to Aruba was my favorite day on the cruise. If I could afford to stay at that resort for a whole week, I would be ecstatic. There is not much to do right there off the ship so I would recommend an excursion.

Kim

dreams resort is part of my time share what would it cost you to go for a week and what does it cost for a day pass

We went on this same itenarary last month. In DR we went to Dreams resort. It was incredible. Beautiful place and very well maintained.

Beware of expensive taxi's though I think we had to pay $90. Roundtrip and it is only about 15-20 minute drive

Ty for the answers. I hope grand Turk Aruba and curacoa are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Grand Turk, Aruba and Curacao are fine. Definitely do a tour in DR (Seavis if you can) but the other islands are fine for striking out on your own.

Archived