Equinox averts Catastrophic Meltdown

helpthejuggler

I'd like to relay how Celebrity got things right in dealing with a catastrophic problem on Equinox.

We buy the non-alcoholic drink packages as we enjoy at frequent stops in Cafe Al Bacio. My wife is a tea fan and loves English Breakfast Tea (EBT), the Forte variety they serve being very nice.

On the first day the Cafe were apologetic that they has run out of 'EBT', and also another type of tea. No big problem. We just thought it would be restocked when time permitted.

But,

Day 2 still no EBT.

Day 3 still no EBT, staff embarrassed that they still had no EBT. Panic Stations.

We completed an "Attention to Detail" card explaining our plight...

Smiley face with a full cup of EBT

Non-Smiley face with an empty cup of EBT

Explained that we like our Cafe Al Bacio EBT but none so far on this cruise.

Concerned that lack of EBT is a sure sign that civil society is on the edge of breaking down. Tea problems had historically been quite serious e.g. Boston and we would not want a recurrence.

Sketchy on the details, but recalled some dispute over whether to brew tea in a pot, a cup or indeed a harbour (which is course leads to all kinds of bother).

-----------------

Later that day - our steward came to our room with a tray, a kettle, cups and 6 Forte EBT pyramids. Also a letter from the Hotel Director Christopher Scaliotis apologising and thanks for making them aware.

At the Captains Club party we spoke with the Hotel Director and thanked him for the tea. Another officer overheard and said how they had enjoyed reading the card.

A few days later chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room.

EBT was restored to Cafe Al Bacio and the downfall of society was avoided.

The result...happy cruisers and a story to tell about how the Equinox hotel staff turned a problem into something we will remember.

I'd like to relay how Celebrity got things right in dealing with a catastrophic problem on Equinox.

We buy the non-alcoholic drink packages as we enjoy at frequent stops in Cafe Al Bacio. My wife is a tea fan and loves English Breakfast Tea (EBT), the Forte variety they serve being very nice.

On the first day the Cafe were apologetic that they has run out of 'EBT', and also another type of tea. No big problem. We just thought it would be restocked when time permitted.

But,

Day 2 still no EBT.

Day 3 still no EBT, staff embarrassed that they still had no EBT. Panic Stations.

We completed an "Attention to Detail" card explaining our plight...

Smiley face with a full cup of EBT

Non-Smiley face with an empty cup of EBT

Explained that we like our Cafe Al Bacio EBT but none so far on this cruise.

Concerned that lack of EBT is a sure sign that civil society is on the edge of breaking down. Tea problems had historically been quite serious e.g. Boston and we would not want a recurrence.

Sketchy on the details, but recalled some dispute over whether to brew tea in a pot, a cup or indeed a harbour (which is course leads to all kinds of bother).

-----------------

Later that day - our steward came to our room with a tray, a kettle, cups and 6 Forte EBT pyramids. Also a letter from the Hotel Director Christopher Scaliotis apologising and thanks for making them aware.

At the Captains Club party we spoke with the Hotel Director and thanked him for the tea. Another officer overheard and said how they had enjoyed reading the card.

A few days later chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room.

EBT was restored to Cafe Al Bacio and the downfall of society was avoided.

The result...happy cruisers and a story to tell about how the Equinox hotel staff turned a problem into something we will remember.

A great sense of humor can help solve problems. Your story demonstrates what can happen if you allow people a chance to fix a problem. Many times people complain on these boards and we discover that they never said anything to anyone with authority while on board. Honey always works better than vinegar.

A great sense of humor can help solve problems. Your story demonstrates what can happen if you allow people a chance to fix a problem. Many times people complain on these boards and we discover that they never said anything to anyone with authority while on board. Honey always works better than vinegar.

smalllike.jpg

Orator I agree - OTOH it seems some folks, not the OP necessarily, come on board expecting things on a ship to be just like they are used to while living at home. This often leads to disappointment instead of opportunity to try new, different things. JUGGLER worked things out well instead of some who make the staffs' job more difficult. I have filled out 'good job' cards on staff who I observe have put up gracefully with rude complainers. I hope others will be proactive in acknowledging superior staff performance.

I'd like to relay how Celebrity got things right ...on Equinox.

Also a letter from the Hotel Director Christopher Scaliotis

At the Captains Club party we spoke with the Hotel Director...

Would you happen to have kept the "in The Spotlight" that lists Senior Officers onboard.

It has been very difficult getting up to date information concerning Equinox.

The following is an out of date chart: (Yellow represents recent updates)

WhoAugustpic.png

An object lesson in how to get things fixed. Bring the problem to the attention of the people who can do something about it, be nice and get them on your side rather than be aggressive and antagonistic.

I find the standard compensation for little problems like this to be a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates.

Would you happen to have kept the "in The Spotlight" that lists Senior Officers onboard.

It has been very difficult getting up to date information concerning Equinox.

The following is an out of date chart: (Yellow represents recent updates)

WhoAugustpic.png

I did not keep much aside from a few dailies. But I can correct a couple of errors above.

CD is Bob Leininger

Assisted by Entertainment Mgr Manuel ????

Entertainment was great.

Les De Merle was Jazz mainly in Ensemble

Adam Westcott was on Flamenco Guitar (Passport/Sunset/Foyer/Ensemble)

Nestor Santurio played guitar (Sunset/Foyer/Cellarmasters)

Comedy was Fred Klett but he left the ship at Rome. Really enjoyed his late show.

Fred, Manuel and Victoria the Marketing Manager was very entertaining on the Liars Club panel.

Helpthejuggler, loved your post. A British sense of humour at its best.

We join the Equinox on Friday. Cafe al Bacio is one of my favourite spots.

I could probably just about live without the EBT but if they ran out of alcohol I might have to jump ship. LOL

Glad you had a great cruise

Not only can you make a comment on a staff member who puts up with outrageous behaviour from a passenger, you can also speak to them and tell them they did nothing wrong. Sometimes there are cultural barriers, and they are confused at the rudeness of the passenger.

We had a tablemate at lunch who was not only verbally abusive to our very nice and competent waiter, but ended up smacking his hand as he reached for her cup of coffee. Those sharing the table were horrified. We all left the table very shortly. On the way out I stopped to talk to the waiter and essentially apologised for the rudeness. I told him he had done nothing wrong in any way, and it was not his fault at all. The head waiter saw me talking to the waiter and came over to see if everything was okay. I told him what had happened, and that the waiter had been exemplory in his service and in his reaction to the unacceptable behaviours from the passenger. The head waiter thanked me and we found a new friend in the waiter who always sought us out to say hello. I only wish I had had the guts to say something to the woman...taken so by surprise I was speechless.

We frequently use those "Attention to Detail" cards to comment on staff whose outstanding performance warrants it. Including their names (or at least enough information so they can be identified) gets them benefits, if only a positive response from management. We have often felt that these cards were more useful than the end-of-cruise surveys, partly because we are still on board when we turn in the cards, but we include similar information on the surveys, including names if we know them.

Love the response the OP got to the humorous comment on Cafe al Baccio, which we also enjoy.

S

Archived