• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Single Parents Cruising with Children

garnet115

I wish there were a separate category for single parents. I thought the solo thread was better than the "singles" thread...

I will be crusing with my 10 yo dd on the Breakaway in Feb. My first time cruising alone with her. Any tips from those who have been there/done that?

Also, are there tips for socializing with others? I kind of feel like dd will be set with all the kids club activities, and the evenings will come and I will be sitting alone. Are there ever on-board activities organized for other single parents?

Hi I would recommend you go to the "Solo cruisers get together event" that I am sure the ship will organise and even though you are technically not solo you are a solo adult . I cruised on NCL Jade I booked solo and then another lady who I was in email contact with through a travel website ( but had never met) also booked but we still went to the Solo get together I also joined the Roll call and was in email contact with other parents sailing solo with children who also came to the solo get together

• 2 weeks later...
I wish there were a separate category for single parents. I thought the solo thread was better than the "singles" thread...

I will be crusing with my 10 yo dd on the Breakaway in Feb. My first time cruising alone with her. Any tips from those who have been there/done

Totally agree - wish there was a sep category for single parents too. I've been on about 5 cruises with just myself and DS and we've got a Xmas cruise coming up in Dec. He usually ends up spending the majority of cruise in kids club, so I am solo for the most part! Even though most people I meet in the roll calls are not single parents, I have met some great people. I also enjoy cruising for R&R so don't need or want to be entirely sociable. I have never been to an organized singles event on a ship, so can't comment on that. Like suggested above, join your sailing roll call!!

And have a blast! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

All of my cruises have been with myself and my (now 17) DD.. We started cruising when she was 7 or 8 and have been hooked since. I love going out in the evenings when she is with the other kids and just enjoying the "scene" or going to a lounge. That's something I would not do on land as a single mom, but happily do on a ship.

There is plenty to do -- enjoy!

I did my first cruise as a single parent last January with my 13 year old daughter, on Voyager of the Seas. We were fortunate to be seated with another single mother and her son of similar age, and the kids hit it off and spent a lot of time together. I also hit it off with the mother so it was perfect! My daughter didnt even register for kids club, so I had plenty of company, but she also found things to do and made some friends around the pool etc.

So, my suggestion is to book a regular dinner seating and request a large table, as you will most likely be seated with other single parents, and this is a great way to meat others also travelling alone with kids.

Glenda

Archived