Cost of HAL wines

LindaM

You mean "a couple of dollars" from the per bottle price of the Admiral vs. the Navigator? Surely, not from the land prices?

Surely, so!! Admiral has Four Emus Chard $10/home Navigator has Monkey Bay Chard, and Caliterra Chard $11, and $10. From what I could find, the most expensive Admiral wine was Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi $12. Also Franciscan Chard. $12. I got the prices online. I'm not familiar with them or noticed them in stores here. I've got more prices for other wines as well. I did this scientifically!! Except that I was relying on the internet for prices.

we will bring wine with us or buy the Canaletto wines. They seem to be priced fairly but most wines are 4X retail and HAL doesn't pay retail. Price like a restaurant does and there will be no need to bring wine. Change the pricing and sell more wine.

Can we order the Canaletto wines in other venues? That was one bottle we really enjoyed.

I would love to know how to do this. Do you have to go to the Canaletto, look over their wine list, make notes, and then order in the MDR, providing all the details? Or, can you just ask to see the Canaletto wine list in the MDR? I think someone posted the latest Canaletto menu and wine list on another thread and a couple of the looked OK.

Does anyone know the answers?

Thanks

ML

Surely, so!! Admiral has Four Emus Chard $10/home Navigator has Monkey Bay Chard, and Caliterra Chard $11, and $10. From what I could find, the most expensive Admiral wine was Chianti Castiglioni Frescaboldi $12. Also Franciscan Chard. $12. I got the prices online. I'm not familiar with them or noticed them in stores here. I've got more prices for other wines as well. I did this scientifically!! Except that I was relying on the internet for prices.

Let me take a crack at this. I assume that you are saying that the on shore costs of the wines in the Admiral package is only a couple of dollars more than the on shore prices of the wines in the Navigator package. Correct?

I think Tampa Girl was referring to the difference between the on shore prices and the HAL prices. Tampa Girl, is that correct.

It sounds like you two are talking about different things entirely.

Let me take a crack at this. I assume that you are saying that the on shore costs of the wines in the Admiral package is only a couple of dollars more than the on shore prices of the wines in the Navigator package. Correct?

I think Tampa Girl was referring to the difference between the on shore prices and the HAL prices. Tampa Girl, is that correct.

You could be correct. I thought she assumed the cost of the Admiral package wines (at home) was a lot more than the Navigator at home prices. They are pretty close. Although, HAL has some wines in the Admiral package that I was not able to find the price for. I figured if HAL was going to have a more expensive wine package, it would include better wines---at least $15-$18 per bottle (at home.) I was surprised to find that both packages consisted of fairly inexpensive wine.

I believe there are inexpensive wines that taste fine. On Regent, their wines were consistently good and I'm sure they weren't expensive. I read in Consumer Reports today that Trader Joes's 3 Buck chuck was rated VERY good. I avoided it because of the price....I am now anxious to try it!

I would love to know how to do this. Do you have to go to the Canaletto, look over their wine list, make notes, and then order in the MDR, providing all the details? Or, can you just ask to see the Canaletto wine list in the MDR? I think someone posted the latest Canaletto menu and wine list on another thread and a couple of the looked OK.

Does anyone know the answers?

Thanks

ML

this is the first time I have heard of this - and yes, there was a decent wine in the Cannaletto.

since I don't know the protocol, I plan to go to the Cannaletto to see about openings, ask to see the wine list and jot down the wine of interest and then order it in the MDR.

thinking about it, it shouldn't be a big deal - I have ordered a bottle of wine from the MDR for the PG as we don't really care for their wine choices a whole lot.

So why can't it work in reverse? We will chat with our wine steward and let them know it might be happening. Pretty sure if we ask the night before it will be there waiting for us the next night:D

Brilliant idea suggested!

Exactly. Thanks. Guess I didn't word that too well. Actually, I was thinking she was comparing the onboard Navigator bottle prices with the Admiral package per bottle and saying that there was only a couple of dollars difference.

It is not just money. We usually take half a dozen bottles along that average 20 years old because we love a great wine with dinner, particularly on formal nights. HAL has nothing equivalent and anything even slightly approaching is very very expensive when you consider the 300-400% markups.

This is another reason why we seriously need to rally together to get HAL to allow us to bring wine on, with a corkage.

I just did a search of the wines in the Navigator and Admiral packages. Onboard, we are paying (with tip) $35 and $48 per bottle average. I searched all the wines....in the Nav. package, the prices average $9. In the Admiral package, the bottles average $11.

We usually buy $6-$10 euro wine. Even with the corkage, we would still save $$$. Wish I liked the Princess small ships. I may have to lower my standards and pray they replace the mattresses!!

There is an online site that allows a search of most wines, which was a great help!

The mark up is actually much worse. The prices you quote are "retail" prices which generally include taxes. But the cruise lines buy their wine "wholesale" and can generally avoid paying taxes on their booze. So that $9 average wine cost is probably no more then $6 average. We are also 4 Star Mariners so we get those packages at half price...but we think the packages have been carefully designed to generate a big profit even at half price. It would be nice to see them improve the qualities of the wines on those packages (i.e. get rid of Three Blind Moose).

Hank

You could be correct. I thought she assumed the cost of the Admiral package wines (at home) was a lot more than the Navigator at home prices. They are pretty close. Although, HAL has some wines in the Admiral package that I was not able to find the price for. I figured if HAL was going to have a more expensive wine package, it would include better wines---at least $15-$18 per bottle (at home.) I was surprised to find that both packages consisted of fairly inexpensive wine.

I believe there are inexpensive wines that taste fine. On Regent, their wines were consistently good and I'm sure they weren't expensive. I read in Consumer Reports today that Trader Joes's 3 Buck chuck was rated VERY good. I avoided it because of the price....I am now anxious to try it!

I have seen these wines rated well in other articles as well (can't remeber where, just remember one was by a wine connoisseur who said that there are some excellent wines available in the $15-20 range that were a big help to the wine industry). I like some of the 3 buck chuck-the merlot and syrah, not so much the white. For an extra dollar at Trader Joes, you can get their Coastal wines, which are better then the 3 buck chuck, especially the Coastal Chardonnay.

this is the first time I have heard of this - and yes, there was a decent wine in the Cannaletto.

since I don't know the protocol, I plan to go to the Cannaletto to see about openings, ask to see the wine list and jot down the wine of interest and then order it in the MDR.

thinking about it, it shouldn't be a big deal - I have ordered a bottle of wine from the MDR for the PG as we don't really care for their wine choices a whole lot.

So why can't it work in reverse? We will chat with our wine steward and let them know it might be happening. Pretty sure if we ask the night before it will be there waiting for us the next night:D

Brilliant idea suggested!

It would be great to hear what your experience with this is.

ML

We seldom order wine on a HAL cruise for two reasons.

The first is selection.....frankly it stinks. Second is markup, though not as important we just hate to be fleeced and this is how we feel on HAL.

We have no issue with paying reasonable corkage. On our last two Celebrity cruises we purchased several bottles of wine....the right selection at competitive prices.

I have seen these wines rated well in other articles as well (can't remeber where, just remember one was by a wine connoisseur who said that there are some excellent wines available in the $15-20 range that were a big help to the wine industry). I like some of the 3 buck chuck-the merlot and syrah, not so much the white. For an extra dollar at Trader Joes, you can get their Coastal wines, which are better then the 3 buck chuck, especially the Coastal Chardonnay.

It would be great to hear what your experience with this is.

ML

I will definitely let you know when we cruise. I have read now other people have done this successfully. No cruises until March though so the info might be a bit late:eek:;)

FYI, Canaletto has new wines, incl. a Chianti, on Oosterdam as part of the new Canaletto menu.

John, I'm not a wine connoisseur but do enjoy a sweeter wine at dinner..Do you know if they have Sangria on the Canaletto wine list..

In many restaurants they will put Brandy in the Sangria, which gives me a headache..

Went to an Italian Restaurant the other night & had a delicious Sangria with out the Hard Liquor.. I enjoyed it so much that I had two, which is very unusual for me..

Thanks..Betty

Archived