Europe River Cruising WORST EVER company

Marty156

I agree, strongly agree with Pushka, and the final line:

Like all things, it isn't that crises occur, no one is responsible for that, but it's how companies deal with it that is important.

Our dismal bus-cruise was reimbursed 50% plus 500 per passenger Christmas 2012. Our experience, horrible food and staff, the after sales lack of response and care was as stressful as the bus-cruise.

We had passengers comparing our trip to the Queensland floods. What rubbish, (unless you think of the German communities this last winter who had businesses and houses on the rivers). No one is comparing bus-cruises to tragedies, you don't, it doesn't make any difference because the money you have expended on a holiday, and those two weeks affects your post cruise arrangements and the cost of airfares etc too.

I cannot understand why passengers assume a ruined holiday is being held up to loss of life and other flooding tragedies, they are two entirely different situations. (Now it's me who's cranky).

I agree, strongly agree with Pushka ... ... the after sales lack of response and care was as stressful as the bus-cruise.QUOTE]

No doubt as did the author of the blog that Marty posted on Page 6, Post # 117

Edited by dougo in oz

• 2 months later...

This forum has been an eye-opener. We're in the midst of planning a 2015 river cruise in Asia and I've recently been looking at Scenic's website. After reading this forum it just isn't worth the savings of a few hundred dollars with Scenic to risk the customer care/service your river cruise received. And no matter how well planned there are often some "what ifs" that become realities and have to be dealt with. A bus cruise...no thank you! Now back to more research and booking with a Scenic competitor. ~~Judy

Judy you do realize that Scenic wasn't the only cruise line that ended up busing their passengers during the flood last June?

I had a wonderful cruise on Scenic and wouldn't think of using any other company.

Edited by cruiseryyc

Hello,

Judy you do realize that Scenic wasn't the only cruise line that ended up busing their passengers during the flood last June?

I had a wonderful cruise on Scenic and wouldn't think of using any other company.

True, all river cruises on the Danube, and to a lesser extend on the Rhine, were affected. I saw a ship moored on the Rhine for more than 48 hours in the same spot. I talked to the receptionist who told me they were bussing people to the planned excursions. The ship was on its way to Basel and they were getting worried whether they would make it in time for normal disembarkation. I assume because of catching return flights. I do not know if they got to Basel in time in the end.

The difference between the cruise companies lay in the handling of a potentially chaotic situation and the information policy regarding the customer, IMO.

notamermaid

a subsidiary of Scenic ,,is the one Marty took(acc.to Host Jazzbeau on another thread??).I am aware of MANY cruise companies that had this problem also.Agree customer service could use an improvement for Scenic(is seems)and many others.Do a search under this topic on top of CC webpage..lots of articles.

Am TRYING my first Scenic cruise in June, looks good in brochure,many review,s and my Aussie TA hi ly recommends it.Of course , really HOPE I don t have the problems Marty listed.That was awful for him and others,I agree.BUt will not let that effect my TRYING Scenic,at least once.You may want to reconsider when you read all the facts,posts,etc.;)

We have friends that were on the Vantage cruise from Bucharest to Amsterdam. When the ship got to Budapest and could not sail further due to flooding and closed locks, Vantage did NOT turn the Rivercruise into a bus trip but instead gave them a refund for the remainder of the trip and sent them home. Good communication and customer service is so important!

...Vantage did NOT turn the Rivercruise into a bus trip but instead gave them a refund for the remainder of the trip and sent them home. Good communication and customer service is so important!

Don't I wish we had gone with anyone else! Although Viking did not do the right thing initially, but they did see the error of their ways!

• 1 year later...

UPDATE on the Scenic/Evergreen current Class Action:

"...There are a number of documents which demonstrate that Scenic had actual knowledge of the rising river levels prior to the commencement of your cruises and that they elected not to advise the Australian travellers of this fact despite advising UK travellers...."

Very true. It shows the kind of mentality (read $$) they had in mind in forcing the start of a cruise that they KNEW was impossible to do, and create a PR nightmare for themselves. (I hope!)

Yes. It sounds like terribly bad management, with one bad decision followed by multiple bad decisions, and then they were trapped. But the first bad decision was to not just cancel or declare 'force majeur', presumably Scenic has its own insurance.

I'm wondering why you didn't get free internet and drinks since isn't this Scenic's business model? How did they get away with charging you for these things in the first place?

Yes, Scenic does advertise in Canada, and they are now also advertising Emerald Waterways, which is supposed to be more mid-range. I'm wondering if this represents the Evergreen part of the business?

We were just on a Uniworld cruise in Egypt and met an Australian couple who have done two Scenic trips and been quite satisfied. But I'm certainly not lining up to book them, believe me. We are booked Amsterdam - Budapest next September, on Tauck, btw.

It seems that the bottom line for the river lines is how they handle a crisis. Viking has a bad reputation there, and now it seems does Scenic.

It seems that the bottom line for the river lines is how they handle a crisis. Viking has a bad reputation there, and now it seems does Scenic.

This thread goes back to the flooding of 2013. There have been no complaints about how Scenic handled this year's low-water problems, so they may be learned their lesson.

This really should be finished with it was Evergreen okay a subsidury of Scenic but not Scenic that was the presumed problem. There has so far been no resolution of this case as far as we have been informed. As far as I can see it is all hearsay until we have definite answers why continue this. I am all for free speech and open conversations but either let everyone know what is going on or let go until it is resolved.

Sorry for the rant but I enjoy CC and I am beginning to feel I should gracefully retire. CA

I am assuming that Marty's recent post is new information from the lawsuit in Australia. My inclination was to keep the thread open so that Marty could post further updates, but since there has been much more heat than light in the follow-up posts I am closing this thread.

Marty -- if you have further updates, please start a new thread and make clear the dates of the new information.