Internal Documentary Projects

Celebrity recently released a documentary on the building of the 5th Solstice class ship (Celebrity Reflection) recently. They were giving some copies away on twitter last week and I was lucky enough to get one.

BRLfc-GCIAMnR3s.jpg:small

It arrived today and I watched it right away. I was expecting it to be a third party commissioned to do a documentary or who even requested access to do it on their own. I was surprised to find out that it was an internal project hosted by Nick Weir, a current Celebrity Cruise Director. I was watching hoping to see a little more on how Meyer Werft works compared to the Aker Finn Yards. As far as I'm aware this is the first documentary to go this in depth into the construction of a ship at that yard. Most documentaries seem to have taken place in Finland following Royal Caribbean's more recent mega builds. It is a similar process but there were a few details that felt awkward as they did it just slightly different than Aker.

It was a really good documentary showing every stage of the construction and they even gave a tour of the ship half way through and then again after delivery. Nick Weir was great, he came off as really passionate and knowledgable of the Celebrity brand and I picked him as a CD about 10 minutes in. It was a great contract to the usually overly technical hosts who know nothing about the cruise experience. He was really able to make you feel like this was a cruise ship from the very start and not just a construction site like most do.

Do you think Royal Caribbean will do one as well? The bonus features included a quick 15 minute documentary he did in 2009 as well so it may be the person more than the company that is making these. After looking up Nick Weir his resume shows him as being a british TV host and then he joined Celebrity. If Royal wants to do one they have to start now since construction is moving along. If they use a CD that may mean that they don't have a contract during the next year or it's a bunch of short ones to allow them time at the ship yard. Is there anyone that they could get to do it?

For those interested in learning more about the documentary Celebrity sells it on their official store (way better than RCCL's, not sure why they don't both use the same since it's one company). http://www.shopcelebritycruises.com/Reflection.asp

They also have a preview available online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwkWlF6wDM

There is an award winning 3 hr documentary on the building of the Eagle Class (Voyager Class). It's narrated by Rolland Smith and is three parts:

Concept and Design

Building and Testing

A City at Sea

at the time this was filmed, Voyager was the largest at sea.

The Title of the documentary is 'Ships of the Voyager Class'.

I purchased it when I was on the Adventure of the Seas when she first came out.

There is an award winning 3 hr documentary on the building of the Eagle Class (Voyager Class). It's narrated by Rolland Smith and is three parts:

Concept and Design

Building and Testing

A City at Sea

at the time this was filmed, Voyager was the largest at sea.

The Title of the documentary is 'Ships of the Voyager Class'.

I purchased it when I was on the Adventure of the Seas when she first came out.

I purchased the DVD from RCI, but it looks like Amazon may have 1 left!!

http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Voyager-Class-In-Depth-Largest/dp/B0071CRPTE

Celebrity recently released a documentary on the building of the 5th Solstice class ship (Celebrity Reflection) recently. They were giving some copies away on twitter last week and I was lucky enough to get one.

BRLfc-GCIAMnR3s.jpg:small

It arrived today and I watched it right away. I was expecting it to be a third party commissioned to do a documentary or who even requested access to do it on their own. I was surprised to find out that it was an internal project hosted by Nick Weir, a current Celebrity Cruise Director. I was watching hoping to see a little more on how Meyer Werft works compared to the Aker Finn Yards. As far as I'm aware this is the first documentary to go this in depth into the construction of a ship at that yard. Most documentaries seem to have taken place in Finland following Royal Caribbean's more recent mega builds. It is a similar process but there were a few details that felt awkward as they did it just slightly different than Aker.

It was a really good documentary showing every stage of the construction and they even gave a tour of the ship half way through and then again after delivery. Nick Weir was great, he came off as really passionate and knowledgable of the Celebrity brand and I picked him as a CD about 10 minutes in. It was a great contract to the usually overly technical hosts who know nothing about the cruise experience. He was really able to make you feel like this was a cruise ship from the very start and not just a construction site like most do.

Do you think Royal Caribbean will do one as well? The bonus features included a quick 15 minute documentary he did in 2009 as well so it may be the person more than the company that is making these. After looking up Nick Weir his resume shows him as being a british TV host and then he joined Celebrity. If Royal wants to do one they have to start now since construction is moving along. If they use a CD that may mean that they don't have a contract during the next year or it's a bunch of short ones to allow them time at the ship yard. Is there anyone that they could get to do it?

okay - in a moment of weakness, I had to order it :-)

I think they actually have 6 left! But 17 used. I may ask for this for one of my christmas presents! :p

The Ships of the Voyager Class documentary that I mentioned above is REALLY well done.

I haven't watched it in a while.

My wife isn't the cruise junkie that I am, so I have to watch it when she's not around.

Maybe this coming weekend..... :-)

This looks really cool; I visited Meyer Werft a couple weeks before float out so maybe I'm on it? Heheh :D

The Voyager one is actually really good. I've had it for a while but also watched it all over again during our rep on the Mariner...they showed it a couple times on the 15 nights.

Thanks for the info! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lets hope the new one on the Quantum of the seas is in full 1080P HD and released on Blu-Ray. That is what I want, because the DVD picture on these documentaries aren't great. Definitely need it on Blu-Ray.

I haven't heard of one being done for Quantum. Has anyone reported one?

That would be so cool!

No report, but I just assumed they were making one. They usually do, especially for a completely new build.

As far as a documentary, I only know of one for the Explorer class from RCI.

I don't recall one for the Radiance class, which was a new build. You could argue that Freedom class wasn't really a new build.

I remember several third party documentaries on the construction of the Voyager class, Freedom class, and Oasis class. All of these were the world's largest cruise ship at the time of construction. The QM2 also had several and she too was the world's largest. I can't think of any construction documentaries on a non largest in the world class. I think that's why we haven't really seen a documentary about Meyer Werft before. Other ships have been features once sailing, but the interest just doesn't seem to exist prior to sailing unless there is something groundbreaking.

I think just like with the Solstice class, an internal project would be the best chance. It doesn't mean it won't be shown on TV later, just that a third party isn't putting out the cash up front for it.

Archived