Possible mistake on QE deck plan?

Whitemarsh

I've been having a look at the QE deck plan on Cunard's website and I've noticed something strange about deck 5. It appears that there is no access to the lifts or staircase that are furtherest aft on that deck. Other decks clearly show that the lifts and staircase (in the same location) are accessible.

Is this a mistake, or a unique feature of deck 5?

i-jfW6pqp-L.png

i-X4DM3qK-L.png

i-C7hFbN7-L.png

i-QGbKmzG-L.png

i-C6nvnhB-XL.png

I think it must be a mistake in drawing the deck plans. It is the same on QV. Don't you think there must be some rule (SOLAS maybe?) that there must be steps within so many meters of a stateroom? It would seem very dangerous for the entire aft half of the ship on deck 5 to have to use the midship stairs.

Until I hear otherwise I'm assuming it's a mistake. I don't mind the walk, but I was looking forward to using the lifts that take you straight up to the Lido Pool.

Weird though that it's the same on QV (I hadn't even checked), maybe it's not a mistake? If so, I wonder what's special about deck 5 then?

I've been having a look at the QE deck plan on Cunard's website and I've noticed something strange about deck 5. It appears that there is no access to the lifts or staircase that are furtherest aft on that deck. Other decks clearly show that the lifts and staircase (in the same location) are accessible.

i-jfW6pqp-L.png

i-X4DM3qK-L.png

i-C7hFbN7-L.png

i-QGbKmzG-L.png

i-C6nvnhB-XL.png

Whitemarsh:

We had cabin 6200 (the last aft before the suites) and we would take the stairs for every meal in Britannia. Going from deck 6 aft stairwell to deck 2 aft stairwell. I don't recall Deck 5 stairwell being any different from the other decks.

I do know that QE took me a bit longer getting acquainted with the layout than any other ship we have sailed aboard. Until the 3rd day, I kept losing the stores. :-) *which made my husband happy. However, of those we have sailed the QE is my favorite cruise ship. I loved the size and the warm feeling of the ship.

Our 8 day crossing was on the tail end of a World Cruise and we had the privilege of getting acquainted with some of the WC passengers. Most we talked with had enjoyed the sailing so much they were planning on booking the next one on QE. (that would be the one you are sailing). The Lido is a a real step up from King's Court and we found it a good spot to visit with other passengers. Café Carinthia was a favorite and by far the nicest of all Coffee Cafés we have experience on ships. The Winter Garden (a very popular spot with passengers) far out shines the one of QM2 (my least favorite room on QM2). On our crossing part of the W. Garden was blocked off for World Cruisers.

I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

best regards,

seasidegal

Thanks seasidegal, it must be a mistake on the deck plans then as you would have noticed if deck five was blocked off as you were going down the stairs. So that's good news. :)

I'm sure I will enjoy her very much, the pictures I've seen so far look wonderful.

The small guide that is given at check-in also has an error. The cut-away diagram shows the Book Shop on Deck 2. It is on Deck 3 and that is indicated correctly in the text below the cut-away. We discovered this one afternoon when we were going to buy a book by Brian Hoey in time for his book-signing. We had previously been in the Book Shop, but this was our first time on the QE and we couldn't find it when we were a bit rushed. We finally asked at the purser's office and, when we were told it was on Deck 3, I showed the staff the error on the plan. The purser's assistant was surprised and said she would make a note of it.

I'm thinking maybe they drew it wrong on QV and then reused the deck plans (changing the stateroom numbers) for QE forgetting about it...

I think you're right. We had a five deck cabin on QE in 2011 and used that stairway many times so it looks like the deck plans are wrong for both the Vistas.

J

The small guide that is given at check-in also has an error. The cut-away diagram shows the Book Shop on Deck 2. It is on Deck 3 and that is indicated correctly in the text below the cut-away. We discovered this one afternoon when we were going to buy a book by Brian Hoey in time for his book-signing. We had previously been in the Book Shop, but this was our first time on the QE and we couldn't find it when we were a bit rushed. We finally asked at the purser's office and, when we were told it was on Deck 3, I showed the staff the error on the plan. The purser's assistant was surprised and said she would make a note of it.

Thank you, David!

I just dug out the small guide that we were given on QE in March and you are correct. I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble getting the direction to the bookstore shop correct. Well, I was using that little guide.:eek:

Whew....feeling a bit better now!:) Never had a problem on QM2 or the bigger RCCL ships and here on petite QE I was backward/forward/where was I mode?

Whitemarsh...thanks for being so observant and noticing the mistake in the 5th deck diagram which led to David mentioning the small guide.

Feeling not quite as addled brained now. :rolleyes:

best regards,

seasidegal

"Beam me across, Scotty!"

If you start to look at the deck plans in detail (and how they have changed over the years), they are full of many, many errors, and whole rooms have vanished/don't exist.

There are odd lines drawn on every deck (esp. around lift/stair towers), far too many to mention here, that don't mean anything once you're on board.

I saw errors right from my first QM2 sailing (when I made the mistake of using the plans (in advance) to memorise my way about once on board). Just five examples (from a April '13-May '14 UK brochure) I've noted about QM2;

Deck 13.

The public toilets located here have vanished.

Deck 12.

The Kennels don't exist.

Deck 11.

The Laundry next to 11009 has been removed.

Deck 9.

An expanded Churchills blocks access to the Commodore Club.

Deck 7.

"Glass Floor" still shown... removed approx 2005!

No wonder passengers get confused finding their way around... :eek:

I bet the access mistake that Whitemarsh spotted is just one of many errors on QE/QV, if the QM2 plans are anything to go by.

But then, shoreside would have drawn these plans without ever boarding any of the ships. Or even been aware it was a ship they were drawing.

i-jfW6pqp-L.png

i-X4DM3qK-L.png

i-C7hFbN7-L.png

i-QGbKmzG-L.png

i-C6nvnhB-XL.png

It's a mistake in the drawing.

I had 5195 for the January 2012 transatlantic crossing and was able to access the elevators/stairs that appear in the plan to be blocked.

I think that we can safely say that it is an error, very unusual for shoreside to get something wrong! :)

This sentence is an excellent example of satire.:D

Pepper:

But then, shoreside would have drawn these plans without ever boarding any of the ships. Or even been aware it was a ship they were drawing.

Perhaps never being on a ship is now a prerequisite for working for Cunard:confused:

However, now I know to stop looking for the glass floor, thank you.:D

best regards,

seasidegal

The book shop is on the same level as the Queens Room and about 20 steps away oppisite the toilets. I was in the bookshop a few times after tea time during the last 10 days. It says Cunard place on the deck plan.

Archived