• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

NCL Customer service let me down badly

scottishtink

Firstly , I have cruised 4 times in the past 2 years and have another 2 booked this year with NCL . I have enjoyed the cruises immensely . The first 2 cruises were booked by my friend as we travelled with her and her husband . The subsequent cruises were booked by myself . Due to a " glitch " in NCL comp system my account is linked by email to my friend , meaning whenever I recieve an email from them she does also ! I have spent considerable time on the phone / emailing them to resolve this and was told in may this year it had been rectified . I booked a cruise recently leaving Sept 1 as a surprise for my husband , we met my friend a few days later who greeted us with " see you guys are booked on another cruise , I got your confirmation email !!!" I was beyond angry as I had not told my husband yet !! Anyway back on phone to attempt to rectify it and got rude customer relations employee who didn't GET that my confidentiality was being breached !! I also contacted my cruise consultant AGAIN and she has tried to rectify it also , last email I got from her was last Thursday morning to say she would be in touch later ??? Still no contact and guess what ? My friend got another email about my upcoming cruise this morning !!! If It wasn't for the fact I would lose all my money I would cancel as it has totally spoiled the lead up to my cruise ! Surely this can't be difficult to resolve , it's a breach of my confidentiality , and not a word of compensation !!! RANT OVER !

Firstly , I have cruised 4 times in the past 2 years and have another 2 booked this year with NCL . I have enjoyed the cruises immensely . The first 2 cruises were booked by my friend as we travelled with her and her husband . The subsequent cruises were booked by myself . Due to a " glitch " in NCL comp system my account is linked by email to my friend , meaning whenever I recieve an email from them she does also ! I have spent considerable time on the phone / emailing them to resolve this and was told in may this year it had been rectified . I booked a cruise recently leaving Sept 1 as a surprise for my husband , we met my friend a few days later who greeted us with " see you guys are booked on another cruise , I got your confirmation email !!!" I was beyond angry as I had not told my husband yet !! Anyway back on phone to attempt to rectify it and got rude customer relations employee who didn't GET that my confidentiality was being breached !! I also contacted my cruise consultant AGAIN and she has tried to rectify it also , last email I got from her was last Thursday morning to say she would be in touch later ??? Still no contact and guess what ? My friend got another email about my upcoming cruise this morning !!! If It wasn't for the fact I would lose all my money I would cancel as it has totally spoiled the lead up to my cruise ! Surely this can't be difficult to resolve , it's a breach of my confidentiality , and not a word of compensation !!! RANT OVER !

I have read several threads on here regarding this same issue or very similar to. My advise is be persistent and it will be fixed. It is funny how you can call and get no results and call back a few minutes later and get terrific results. Maybe suggest creating a new account with them. Sorry for the troubles your having, wishing a quick resolution!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have a similar issue. Our friends booked a cruise we were already booked for and our PCC linked the reservations. Somehow our email is sent to their email address. Our PCC says she's looked at our Latitudes accounts and everything is fine. But she said that before. :confused:

As another avenue to pursue, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, NCL appears to be responsive to them.

Having had some crazy ex-boyfriends, my first thought is that you're fortunate you are on good terms with the person receiving your trip notifications. Imagine if it was some bitter ex, who now knows exactly when your house will be vacant. Scary! I'd probably go through Kevin Sheehan's office to see if they can resolve it, and if that doesn't work I'd go to the BBB. I totally agree with you that it's a huge breach of confidentiality.

I find it ironic and a bit humorous that NCL can organize the intricate dance that is coordinating the sailing of twelve ships holding tens-of-thousands of passengers, ten-of-thousands of crew all over the oceans in one week, and repeating this each and every week, but they cannot control something as simple as email. Hmmph, maybe it’s just me…

By the way, NCL may not have legally violated any confidentiality. They are not a bank and are not bound by federal regulations like the Gramm Leach Bliley Act. This is especially true if they did not disclose any non-public personal information which is defined in law as DOB, SS# or bank account numbers.

Somewhere on their profile system they have a problem. I changed my phone number at least a dozen times, but it kept coming back. After multiple email exchanges, somebody there fixed it. They kept acting like I was doing somethng wrong. I even gave them my password so they could do it and see what was happening.

Never an explanation, but I "think" it has been fixed.

I've had something similar like this happen to me but not with an email but with actual mail. I booked 2 cruises both in Haven. A few weeks after I booked 1 cruise I got a thank you card from NCL thanking me for booking Haven and it went to my sisters house in my name. The next cruise I booked the thank you card went to my parents house in my name. I know my address is correct bc all my confirmation emails have my address and my luggage tags were sent to me. Thank goodness it went to my family's addresses.

On a similar topic . I have a cruise booked and the "shopping cart" in "My NCL" account has a number of items in it . It just wont tell me what they are .:eek:

I hope its something Im going to enjoy ..:p

On a similar topic . I have a cruise booked and the "shopping cart" in "My NCL" account has a number of items in it . It just wont tell me what they are .:eek:

I hope its something Im going to enjoy ..:p

Start to 'checkout' and you will see what they are.

Somewhere on their profile system they have a problem. I changed my phone number at least a dozen times, but it kept coming back. After multiple email exchanges, somebody there fixed it. They kept acting like I was doing somethng wrong. I even gave them my password so they could do it and see what was happening.

Never an explanation, but I "think" it has been fixed.

DH is an internet programmer/software guy by trade--I wonder if I could barter with them.....he'll fix this crazy issue and we get a free cruise (in an OS)! :D

You should check your MyNCL account (or just create one if you don't have one already) and on your homepage there is a link to Update Profile which includes contact info, telephone, email, etc. See if they have the correct info there if not change it, it shoud work.

Wow @Whenisthemidnightbuffet, I went to go look at my profile on a whim after reading this thread and mine was set to my friend's address. I booked our vacation and a week later her family had booked separately but they linked our reservations. Later, she canceled. Her address and telephone number were where my address and telephone number should have been. I have no idea how that even happened since I've never entered her information anywhere!

I'm glad I caught it now! :eek:

I've emailed Kevin Sheehan !!

As you reside in the UK the answer is very simple inform NCL that they are in breach of the data protection act 1998 which is a criminal offence and if they do not update their system forthwith you will make a formal complaint to the ICO (information commissioners office) who have the power to force them to make the necessary changes and or impose a fine and or a criminal prosecution if they fail to act in accordance with the law

The ICO cannot seek compensation for you but can and do ensure that companies comply with the law

A link to the relevant website, the ICO are there for circumstances like this http://www.ico.org.uk/complaints/handling

I hope pointing out to the NCL that they have broken the law in the UK, it is enough to get a satisfactory resolution, hope this helps

I sympathise with the OP. in the UK it is pretty Russian roulette with customer services. The other problem I was told was the IT databases were all held in Miami so they have to put a request into the US and wait until they wake up etc. then action the changes.

When you log into myncl and look at your account what email does it say there?

Thank you everyone for your responses , I've checked my profile numerous times and it's only my own email address that's there . Incidentally I meant to mention also , when my edocs for my forthcoming cruise ( 1st Sept - Epic) were sent to me they had my friends address on them !! Home address not email !!

I just changed the email in the my ncl profile , and when you fill out the check in ,have to do both on all res. it worked for me fine emails coming to correct places again you have to change it also in the check in for each cruise. hope this helps

these computer issues aren't just in the UK. After booking my cruise recently, I went in and registered us online, passport numbers, everything. Went back in a few days later to see I was now going on a cruise with a man 12 years younger than me, same last name, not first, as my husband! All of my husband's info was gone and this man's in his place. I emailed and it was taken care of immediately, thankfully, but now I have to re-enter all my husband's info, think I'll wait a while.... There are days I worry about our dependence on computers......

Archived