What do you think about Disney's new policies?

libertybelle41

I wish RCCL would do this fleet wide. We like Celebrity because of the strict no smoking policies (except in designated areas), but we love to go on Royal ships occasionally because we think they are fun and we love the promenades on the ships. However, we've had several cruises ruined by chain smokers next door who were constantly out on their balconies. We couldn't leave the door open or go outside. It kind of defeated the purpose of having a balcony and enjoying the fresh sea air.

Unfortunately, the smoke doesn't know it is supposed to stay outside.

So... good on Disney for taking this step. Especially with so many kids on board.

Ton

I especially love, love Disney's new "no smoking on balcony" policy!:)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5485

Great policy. As a former smoker I like to think I was pretty conscientious of lighting up around others, but even now as a non-smoker I notice how much "dirtier" an area seems because of the smell, and the health risks are way beyond debate. No issues with designated smokers areas on the ship as they plan.

People who pay for a balcony should not have to contend with the smoke. I felt that way when I did smoke even. Anyone who says "I don't care, I don't sail Disney", don't fool yourself; each line pays close attention to the rules, policies, promotions, giveaways, loyalty clubs, features, amenities, etc of other lines. If Disney gets overwhelming positive response to this, which they likely will, RCI will take a very hard look at it too.

I especially love, love Disney's new "no smoking on balcony" policy!:)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5485

Whilst it is unlikely I will be sailing with Disney, I will say the no-smoking policy makes sense for Disney, especially as it is aimed at attracting families with small / young children. I don't like the idea of wearing informal clothing during formal nights, but that is their decision. It will be interesting to see how the new policy pans out. I hope RCCL would introduce a no-smoking on Balcony policies, but still maintain a designated area for cigar and ciggie smokers, away from the family friendly areas.

I wish RCCL would do this fleet wide. We like Celebrity because of the strict no smoking policies (except in designated areas), but we love to go on Royal ships occasionally because we think they are fun and we love the promenades on the ships. However, we've had several cruises ruined by chain smokers next door who were constantly out on their balconies. We couldn't leave the door open or go outside. It kind of defeated the purpose of having a balcony and enjoying the fresh sea air.

Unfortunately, the smoke doesn't know it is supposed to stay outside.

So... good on Disney for taking this step. Especially with so many kids on board.

Took the words right out of my mouth Tom!

Ryan

I'm a bit surprised at the short notice on the change of smoking policy. Had I booked a cruise with the thought of a late night drink and smoke on my balcony (and yes-- we are the kind of smokers who are cognizant of neighbors and would have negotiated so as to not negatively impact others), I'd be a bit dismayed that I didn't know of the change before booking my cabin.

Now, if they had announced this change sooner before the go-live date, and are still allowing smoking in designated areas, no problems at all.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

-Melissa

Shorts on formal nights though... not sure about that one :rolleyes:

Tom

In spite of what Cruise Critic has posted as the shorts policy, that's not what DCL is saying. DCL has only changed their definition of what "cruise casual" means. It used to be "no shorts, tank tops, or swim suits" for dinner.

Now it's this (I got this from DCL directly):

"Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In

general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- shorts, jeans, khakis and

capris are permitted; however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing

swimwear or tank tops in the dining rooms."

Shorts are still not on the permitted list for formal nights. Although, unfortunately, you will see shorts on formal night, even though they aren't supposed to be there. That's the biggest bone of contention in this matter, DCL doesn't really enforce it.

Archived